MTB/Road Casette Interchangability

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Patrick, Feb 14, 2003.

  1. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    Any reason I can't use a Dura-Ace or Ultegra 9-speed cassette on my XT-compatible drive train? I
    find the XT 9-speed cassette way too big on the high side, and I've always felt the big differences
    between cogs contribute to crappy shifting anyway. A nice 12-27 would probably be just right, if it
    will fit/work.

    I'm running all XT drivetrain, except for Chris King hubs & SRAM chain.

    -Patrick

    Tags:

  2. Patrick wrote:
    > Any reason I can't use a Dura-Ace or Ultegra 9-speed cassette on my XT-compatible drive train? I
    > find the XT 9-speed cassette way too big on the high side, and I've always felt the big
    > differences between cogs contribute to crappy shifting anyway. A nice 12-27 would probably be just
    > right, if it will fit/work.
    >
    > I'm running all XT drivetrain, except for Chris King hubs & SRAM chain.
    >
    > -Patrick

    Road cassettes use the smae spline pattern as mtn, so it will fit on the hub. A shorter cage
    derailleur wil make it shift smoother.

    The big difference in cogs isn't the cause of your current shifting problems, though.

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  3. Watimena

    Watimena Guest

    Don't you ride up any hills?

    I am running an 11-32 at the moment, and as soon as it it's cactus, I am going to a 12-34........
    Every extra tooth is little luxury.....

    And I don't have any probs with smooth shifting. I run short cage derailleur as well.

    Jeremy

    "Patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any reason I can't use a Dura-Ace or Ultegra 9-speed cassette on my XT-compatible drive train? I
    > find the XT 9-speed cassette way too big on the high side, and I've always felt the big
    > differences between cogs contribute to crappy shifting anyway. A nice 12-27 would probably be just
    > right, if it will fit/work.
    >
    > I'm running all XT drivetrain, except for Chris King hubs & SRAM chain.
    >
    > -Patrick

  4. Hi

    I always run a road cassette on my XC bike, we ride fast technical single-track and find the
    small steps between gears to be a bigger advantage than having a massive gear range that I won't
    use all of

    Cheers

    Chris

    ======
    Crash get up, crash get up, crash get up, crash stay down and look at me web site

    news:[email protected]...

  5. Patrick wrote:

    > Any reason I can't use a Dura-Ace or Ultegra 9-speed cassette on my XT-compatible drive train? I
    > find the XT 9-speed cassette way too big on the high side, and I've always felt the big
    > differences between cogs contribute to crappy shifting anyway. A nice 12-27 would probably be just
    > right, if it will fit/work.
    >
    > I'm running all XT drivetrain, except for Chris King hubs & SRAM chain.
    >
    > -Patrick

    If you don't need anything less than a 27 then do it. No problems. There are hills near me that a 34
    cog is really nice.

  6. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Patrick) wrote:

    > Any reason I can't use a Dura-Ace or Ultegra 9-speed cassette on my XT-compatible drive train? I
    > find the XT 9-speed cassette way too big on the high side, and I've always felt the big
    > differences between cogs contribute to crappy shifting anyway. A nice 12-27 would probably be just
    > right, if it will fit/work.
    >
    > I'm running all XT drivetrain, except for Chris King hubs & SRAM chain.
    >
    > -Patrick

    I've done the opposite with my road bike. It has a 12-34 XT casette, an XTR derailler, with Dura-Ace
    STI shifters. I have to take some heat from my roadie pals who snicker about the "pie plate" on my
    rear wheel--that is until they see me spin up the 15+% grades we have on some of the roads we have
    in the Sierra foothills.

    TD has the gears and knows how to use them

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  7. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I run a 12 - 28 road casette along with a Sram derailleur, Sram chain and its just danddy.

    Fire up MTB 03