MTB/Road Casette Interchangability

Patrick

Guest
Any reason I can't use a Dura-Ace or Ultegra 9-speed cassette on my XT-compatible drive train? I
find the XT 9-speed cassette way too big on the high side, and I've always felt the big differences
between cogs contribute to crappy shifting anyway. A nice 12-27 would probably be just right, if it
will fit/work.

I'm running all XT drivetrain, except for Chris King hubs & SRAM chain.

-Patrick

Patrick wrote:
> Any reason I can't use a Dura-Ace or Ultegra 9-speed cassette on my XT-compatible drive train? I
> find the XT 9-speed cassette way too big on the high side, and I've always felt the big
> differences between cogs contribute to crappy shifting anyway. A nice 12-27 would probably be just
> right, if it will fit/work.
>
> I'm running all XT drivetrain, except for Chris King hubs & SRAM chain.
>
> -Patrick

Road cassettes use the smae spline pattern as mtn, so it will fit on the hub. A shorter cage
derailleur wil make it shift smoother.

The big difference in cogs isn't the cause of your current shifting problems, though.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

Don't you ride up any hills?

I am running an 11-32 at the moment, and as soon as it it's cactus, I am going to a 12-34........
Every extra tooth is little luxury.....

And I don't have any probs with smooth shifting. I run short cage derailleur as well.

Jeremy

"Patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any reason I can't use a Dura-Ace or Ultegra 9-speed cassette on my XT-compatible drive train? I
> find the XT 9-speed cassette way too big on the high side, and I've always felt the big
> differences between cogs contribute to crappy shifting anyway. A nice 12-27 would probably be just
> right, if it will fit/work.
>
> I'm running all XT drivetrain, except for Chris King hubs & SRAM chain.
>
> -Patrick

Hi

I always run a road cassette on my XC bike, we ride fast technical single-track and find the
small steps between gears to be a bigger advantage than having a massive gear range that I won't
use all of

Cheers

Chris

======
Crash get up, crash get up, crash get up, crash stay down and look at me web site

news:[email protected]...

Patrick wrote:

> Any reason I can't use a Dura-Ace or Ultegra 9-speed cassette on my XT-compatible drive train? I
> find the XT 9-speed cassette way too big on the high side, and I've always felt the big
> differences between cogs contribute to crappy shifting anyway. A nice 12-27 would probably be just
> right, if it will fit/work.
>
> I'm running all XT drivetrain, except for Chris King hubs & SRAM chain.
>
> -Patrick

If you don't need anything less than a 27 then do it. No problems. There are hills near me that a 34
cog is really nice.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Patrick) wrote:

> Any reason I can't use a Dura-Ace or Ultegra 9-speed cassette on my XT-compatible drive train? I
> find the XT 9-speed cassette way too big on the high side, and I've always felt the big
> differences between cogs contribute to crappy shifting anyway. A nice 12-27 would probably be just
> right, if it will fit/work.
>
> I'm running all XT drivetrain, except for Chris King hubs & SRAM chain.
>
> -Patrick

I've done the opposite with my road bike. It has a 12-34 XT casette, an XTR derailler, with Dura-Ace
STI shifters. I have to take some heat from my roadie pals who snicker about the "pie plate" on my
rear wheel--that is until they see me spin up the 15+% grades we have on some of the roads we have
in the Sierra foothills.

TD has the gears and knows how to use them

--
[email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

I run a 12 - 28 road casette along with a Sram derailleur, Sram chain and its just danddy.

Fire up MTB 03