MTB shoe suggestions needed

mark174ace

May 8, 2012
Hello all, I took up road cycling last year and with all the money I spent on the bike I just went old school with the flat pedals. I decided that I prefer mtb shoes so I can walk on them after I get off the bike. Last week I bought the Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals, but I still cannot decide on a shoe. I want something that is firm on the bottom of course, but the rest of the shoe to be relatively soft. I also want something that has plenty of ventilation. I like the Pearl Izumi X Alp Enduro 3 and a Shimano shoe that I do not remember that name at the moment. I would love to hear your recomendations as I am having brain freeze at this point. I am fairly easy to please, but I would like something that has good ventilation, but has some sneaker feel and a firm sole so it does not feel like my foot is wrapped around the pedal.

I bought for my mountain bike a shimano pair and im very satisfied, stiff sole and sneaker like upper part, like the one you desire,

It's worth trying a few on; I normally wear Eur 40 or 41 but ended up with bike shoes in 41.5 (Specialized Elite Touring). I find touring is a nice compromise as proper MTB shoes sometimes look a bit butch.

I think the sneaker feel is mostly due to the soft sole so that's not likely to happen; still, my shoes are more than comfortable enough to walk into an ice-cream place or a gas station.

I'm also glad I paid the LBS to fit my cleats; the old knees are easily worth the extra expense.

I had good luck with the Sidi Dominator.

It has the SPD screw fittings so not sure about the compatibility (have no exp. with Crank Bro's), but they come on a MEGA for wide feet which makes my feet happy, they look pretty good, they feel stiff on the pedal, and while not quite a sneaker are ok to walk around in otherwise (I once had to walk a half mile or so on pavement when I flatted without a patch kit).

The sizing is pretty wonky and they definitely need to be tried on. I usually wear a 9 US, but wear a 43.5 Sidi (and yes they come in half sizes).

mark174ace said:
Thanks. What model was it?
mine is no longer in production, but i found a couple like that in www.shimano.com: select: north america - cycling - products - shoes - mtb - mountain touring if it says SPD in the shoe then you know the sole is stiff no matter the upper look, p.s. like this one (model SH-MT33L) http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/shoe_test.html#mens/mtb/4/SH-MT33L