MTB Shoes and Pedals on a Road Bike.....

lorrod

Feb 7, 2005
Does anyone use MTB Pedals and Shoes on their road bike - either for training, racing, or just riding? What are your thoughts about using MTB Pedals and Shoes for the road bike? Any problems or drawbacks? Have you had any problems with cleat disengagement from the pedal during hard sprints or climbing? Which MTB Shoes and Pedals do you use on your road bike?

lorrod said:
Does anyone use MTB Pedals and Shoes on their road bike - either for training, racing, or just riding? What are your thoughts about using MTB Pedals and Shoes for the road bike? Any problems or drawbacks? Have you had any problems with cleat disengagement from the pedal during hard sprints or climbing? Which MTB Shoes and Pedals do you use on your road bike?

I'm a recreational rider. I see no reason to use a road-specific shoe on my bike. I have always used mountain bike shoes with recessed cleats so I can walk easily off the bike with the shoes on. I had road shoes when I first went clipless and so I know the differences. As far as pedaling efficiency and engagment, it's the cleat system in use, not the shoe it's attached to.

Modern mountain bike clipless pedal systems are not much different in weight than a road pedal any more. Pedaling efficiency is the same, after all, it's the same motor with just a different connection to the cranks. The only thing I see is road people who think road pedals are superior and buy into it, something like religion. Based on faith, not fact.

Not to start an arguement, though. I know a road biker that uses cafe covers on his road shoes when he gets off his bike. I have used SPD, Time Atac and Eggbeater pedals. The Time and Eggbeaters are the easiest to clip into. I routinely was clipped into my pedals while my buddy was spinning a bit until he finally got lined up enough to clip into his one-side Look road pedal. I like to just slam my foot forward as I stomp on the pedal and click right into the retention mechanism. I think road-specific pedals are made to be as light as possible. Mtn bike pedals are as well, but also are made so that muddy shoes can clip into them by having a mechanism that squeezes mud out or in some other way is insensitive to mud on the bottom of the shoe.

I'm a practical cyclist, not in a roadie culture and don't care how others perceive me on my bike. I ride as fast as I can when I want, at a good clip, otherwise. Not too many riders pass me.

the only thing i have ever used on my road bike is mountain pedals and shoes. i have time atac pedals and answer xc-1 shoes. the main reason for this is that i was primarily a bmxer, so instead of spending tons of money on new shoes and pedals for road rides, i bought an old set of time atacs for my road bike (i already had them on the bmx bike) so it was easy. shoes are expensive and when i bought new shoes, i didn't want to get road specific shoes for bmx since the soles would probably snap with all of the force of jumping, landing and falling. i haven't had any trouble at all, but i'm getting more into road now and the springs on my times are getting worn out, so i might get a cheap road shoe/pedal combo from price point to see what they're all about.

I use MTB pedals and touring shows on my cyclocross bike. It makes more sense for me because I'm a commuter who sometimes needs to walk. Road shoes make the most sense when you are riding for fun and can immediately change shoes when you dismount.

I also use MTB pedals and shoes. I am currently using Vuelta Typhoon SPD pedals and SIDI Rampa II shoes and love the combination. I am looking to upgrade the pedals in the future for something with a bit more float but I like the shoes very much. I am also, primarily, a recreational cyclist/commuter and like to be able to walk while I am out on my bike. This is much easier with MTB shoes. The only advantage of road shoes with cyclists like us (ie: rec riders and commuters) are the stiffness of the sole, and even then, only if we purchase shoes with carbon soles (hence alot more $$), which will allow a greater power transfer. I tried road shoes on a test ride and did notice a slight difference, but not enough to offset the inconvenience or additonal cost of road shoes for my type of riding.

Cheers,

Brian

I,m a Yorkshireman of Scottish descent(A Yorkshireman is a Scotsman stripped of his generosity) so I use MTB pedals on both an MTB and a road hybrid cos I,m too mean to buy two pairs of shoes!
Seriously though I only do recreational riding on both bikes ( MTB in winter and Hybrid when the weather is better) its easier to have the same set up on both bikes so I can easily choose which one when I go out, also its easier to walk in MTB shoes than road shoes.
Plus when I went clipless I tried road shoes with time pedals on a road bike and found it very difficult to clip into the single sided pedal so I stuck to MTB pedals as I find them easier to use and OK for my type of riding

I've used both SPD and road pedals on my road bike. Finally settled for road pedals/shoes because.....just because.
Seriously, I'd say that there IS indeed a minor improvement in efficiency or power gained by using road-specific shoes, as they are more rigid than my old SPD shoes (which I still use on my MTB).
cheers