MTB shoes on Road Pedals question

Brendon M. Troy

Guest
So I finally found shoes in my size I could afford and snatched them up,
on sale, from Nashbar. They're mountain shoes (the SIDI Dominator 4 mesh
model, SPD-compatible, if anyone cares), but I plan to use them on my
road bike primarily. Clipless pedals for the MTB may come in the future.

My question is this: it seems from googling a bit that I should be
"all-clear" to order any pedal, road or mountain, to put on my bike, so
long as they're SPD. Is this correct? Does anyone know of any road
pedals that might have a hard time accommodating a mountain shoe and its
treads, cleat, etc..? The shoes look like this:
http://tinyurl.com/63ojk, if that helps at all. Also, if anyone really
wants to go out of their way to give someone getting back into road
biking some advice, could someone give a recommendation for a good,
entry-level-priced road pedal that would work with the given scenario?
I'll probably stay away from the nashbar house brand pedals thanks to
something I read on Mike J's site just now, but that's the general price
range I'd like to spend (the cheaper the better, although I'll pay a
*little* more for quality, with an absolute upper budget of $80 or so).

Many, many thanks in advance for anyone who's read this, let alone
responded. Have a great week - I'm off after work to do some hill-climbs
in my area: if you only have an hour to ride, you may as well make it
useful, I guess!

-Brendon
--
(remove spamguard if you'd like to reply by e-mail)

Brendon M. Troy <[email protected]> wrote:
> My question is this: it seems from googling a bit that I should be
> "all-clear" to order any pedal, road or mountain, to put on my bike, so
> long as they're SPD. Is this correct? Does anyone know of any road
> pedals that might have a hard time accommodating a mountain shoe and its
> treads, cleat, etc..?

why not put mountain bike pedals on your road bike? i run time atacs on
all my bikes (road/touring, track & mountain bike) and so only one pair
of shoes and i can walk on 'em.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:05:15 -0400, "Brendon M. Troy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My question is this: it seems from googling a bit that I should be
>"all-clear" to order any pedal, road or mountain, to put on my bike, so
>long as they're SPD. Is this correct? Does anyone know of any road
>pedals that might have a hard time accommodating a mountain shoe and its
>treads, cleat, etc..? The shoes look like this:

you can use speedplay frogs and bebop pedals both very nice easy to walk in
pedals. that's what I have on my racing bike.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Brendon

There are several pedals you can use. Regular SPD which means (Shimano
and Wellgo). Speedplay Frog's and Bebop's. All of these pedals will
allow you to walk around comfortably. Some of these shoes you will
have to modify the sole a little. They are made out of several
materials, Cromoly, Stainless steal and Titanium.

These pedals will range from $70 buck to about $200. The pedals that
have titanium in them might have some weight restriction. Take a look.
With all of these pedals, they are mostly a metal cleat, which is
great. It will take quite a bit of time for them to wear out. I am not
saying that they wont, it just take's a lot longer.

Speedplay = Frogs
Shimano = M324 plus others, they will become lighter and have a
bigger platform to stand on.
Bebops, = Cromoly, Stainless Steal, Deluxe.

The important thing to reminder is that it's just a pedal. They will
do the same job. Some will look nicer than others, but that for you to
decide. I hope that helped you.

Helen

Brendon M. Troy wrote:
> So I finally found shoes in my size I could afford and snatched them up,
> on sale, from Nashbar. They're mountain shoes (the SIDI Dominator 4 mesh
> model, SPD-compatible, if anyone cares), but I plan to use them on my
> road bike primarily. Clipless pedals for the MTB may come in the future.

I would also recommend checking out the pedals from Crank Bros. I run
Mallet's on my mountain bike and Candy's on my cyclocross bike. Very
easy to use and great customer service to back it up.

For a pure road bike that you will always ride with biking shoes and
clips, I'd use the plain Eggbeater pedals.

http://www.crankbros.com/

- khill

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:00:22 -0400, khill <[email protected]> wrote:
>For a pure road bike that you will always ride with biking shoes and
>clips, I'd use the plain Eggbeater pedals.

I'll second that. I love my Eggbeater SS pedals on my road bike.

I use them with Lake sandals. Easy and comfortable for walking and
riding. Sufficiently stiff for riding.
--
Rick Onanian