MTB shoes with Road Pedals?

apeters

May 15, 2012
I'm purchasing cycling shoes and clips for the first time for a Marin 2012 road bike. I'm wondering if SHIMANO SH-WM51 shoes will compute with Shimano PD-A530 SPD Road Bike Pedals? They're dual sided but I want to know if the cleats that come with the SPD's will work with a pair of MTB shoes. I'd rather have a pair of MTB shoes because the recessed cleat allows for greater walking distance since the bike paths that I ride on are surrounded by woods and dirt roads.

Thanks!

- Ash
+

Hi Ash, I have the same pedals (except in black). The cleats that come with them will work with those shoes. The shoes are listed as SPD compatible which is what is required to work with those cleats. Enjoy!

Thanks Rich!

Do you like them? I've read mixed reviews about the platform side being slippery and a deterrent when needing to clip in quickly. Also considering the PD-M530 which are heavier by 72 grams but seem similarly versatile.

I have not had them that long, only about 2 months, but so far I am liking them. I used them with SPD cleated shoes as well as with a pair of sneakers on the platform side with no problems so far either clipping in or staying on the platform side.

I never looked at the PD-M530 because I wanted pedals that could be used with "regular" shoes or SPD cleats but it looks to me like the M530s are almost the same but without a usable platform side? If you don't want a platform-side the M530s are probably just the same as the SPD side of the A530s...I'm surprised that they weight a bit more than the A530s though :)