MTB slicks thread...

What are the odds? It rained since I posted yesterday.

How did the Conti SportContacts handle the wet? Just like they do in the dry!
icon14.gif

Cheers, DB

They are an excellent tyre!! I am waiting to see how the new Conti Ultra Gator Skin Slicks go in 26"x28mm. I have suggested them to a couple of bike couriers who heve Sport Contact at the moment. I just bought a Gator Skin Slick in 650c x23 for my Try bike's training wheel. Still to try. :D

db69 said:
Imagine you've done 2000km's on two dodgy $20 dunlop semi-slicks. Your quietly working away in your office and a popping sound catches your attention. What is that? Answer - inner tube is trying to do that Alien busting through the chest thing! right out of the front of my tyre.
Now do 60km's a day on 1x **** semi-slick and 1x fat MTB tyre.
SLUGGISH to say the least.
icon8.gif

Where is this going?

Just a big plug for the two Conti Sportcontacts 26x1.3's now gracing my ride
icon7.gif
an Avanti Barracuda
She just wants to move!!!!
Plus the two massive thorns I pulled out of the front tyre and no flat, just got to love that.
Really recommend these babies - light, fast and bullet proof.
icon14.gif

ps. my folks dished out for them, Bday present
icon10.gif

Only thing left to do is test them in the wet! Could be fun?
icon4.gif

This is the blurb I got from Probikekit and they are $34.68 each plus postage. I need some new gatorskins for the road bike so will get some of the Sport contact for the MTB at the same time.

http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1118

Continental Sport Contact MTB Slick TyreSUPER TOUGH SLICKS FOR YOUR MTB (Includes Presta valve tube)

Include 1 year anti puncture guarantee & FREE INNER TUBE!!.

• Tune your MTB or City Bike for speed on the road.
  • Continentals new Sport Contact lightweight tyre replaces the Avenue Semi Slick, to give
  • Stronger sidewalls.
  • Better puncture protection
  • Includes Continental's new Safety System technology under the tread.
  • The best choice for couriers, fast commuters and road training cyclists.
  • Now supplied with a free inner tube & 1 year Safety System guarantee!
  • 26 x 1.3(550g)
Cycling Plus review

"One year guarantee against tyre failure, and you even get a free innertube with the tyre, so it's good value" Conclusion: Fast and fairly tough MTB slick that's a little off the pace in 700C

Rating: 8/10

What MTB Magazine Review

"The Sport Contact uses Conti's high natural rubber compound in a very svelte 1.3 casing with a nearly slick tread. The Sport Contact comes with a 4 ply polymer resistant layer and a one year Safety System guarantee + a FREE narrow inner tube " Conclusion: Great look and feel from a speedy tyre and price includes tube and guarantee

I just fitted to the Giant Upland a pair of Conti City Contact semi-slicks in 26x1.5. For anyone not wanting a full slick and still go on a bit of gravel or sand they are ideal. The measured width in a std MTB rim came out at 32.5mm, a little narrower than the 37mm in the book. They quite look the part on the black rims. Performance at 60/65 psi is quite brisk and not too harsh. I would strongly recommend these as a quality tyre for anyone, lady or gent, on bike paths or city road riding. :)

Conti Sport Contact, a different ball game, at 26x1.3, a performance tyre that I would proudly use for racing/triathlons on a 26" bike. :D

gclark8 said:
I just fitted to the Giant Upland a pair of Conti City Contact semi-slicks in 26x1.5. For anyone not wanting a full slick and still go on a bit of gravel or sand they are ideal. The measured width in a std MTB rim came out at 32.5mm, a little narrower than the 37mm in the book. They quite look the part on the black rims. Performance at 60/65 psi is quite brisk and not too harsh. I would strongly recommend these as a quality tyre for anyone, lady or gent, on bike paths or city road riding. :)

Conti Sport Contact, a different ball game, at 26x1.3, a performance tyre that I would proudly use for racing/triathlons on a 26" bike. :D
my goodness... the tyres would've almost cost as much as the bike

i've done a heap commuting mileage on my apollo himalaya with the conti contact sports and they have just been the best tyres i've used

i already got replacements for them cause they were cheap... maxxis xeniths.... but they don't seem to anywhere near as robust... tho they too do roll fast...

i've ridden thru glass, dirt, hopped gutters on a daily basis on my commute.... and the tyres are lookin in great shape.... also, ridden thru industrial areas in the wet and the puncture resistance is better than knobblies.... i've only had 2 punctures since having then... on with a 3 cm nail straight thru.... and they pumped up and no prob... and the other time it was due to a dodgy tube...

they aren't cheap tho... unless you buy them from probikekit... i paid 45 each for them at the LBS

currrently running some maxxis detonators 28C that came with CRX for my commute... lots of cuts and had a few significant punctures... also don't seem to roll that great... just waiting for them to die

HI Rob,

Your close, 2 Conti Tyres and 3 tubes = half the Upland. :rolleyes:

The GF just ordered a new Sedona in XS(14") to replace the 17" Upland, her loan bike. She ordered the new tyres for it last week and they arrived on Wednesday, so typical curious female, she just had to see what they looked like on the old bike. I got to ride it for the afternoon, she rode her Felt. :D

gclark8 said:
HI Rob,

Your close, 2 Conti Tyres and 3 tubes = half the Upland. :rolleyes:

The GF just ordered a new Sedona in XS(14") to replace the 17" Upland, her loan bike. She ordered the new tyres for it last week and they arrived on Wednesday, so typical curious female, she just had to see what they looked like on the old bike. I got to ride it for the afternoon, she rode her Felt. :D
noticed your fun bike... how did you get a 48T on your Upland... they are replaceable at that level

thinking of replacing the worn big chainring on my commuter.. 96 Alivio cranks

I find the jump from the middle to big to small... and i run out of juice after 50km/h... would i need to change my fr derailleur?

robalert said:
noticed your fun bike... how did you get a 48T on your Upland... they are replaceable at that level

thinking of replacing the worn big chainring on my commuter.. 96 Alivio cranks

I find the jump from the middle to big to small... and i run out of juice after 50km/h... would i need to change my fr derailleur?
Just two components to change,
Shimano FC TX71 Crankset 28/38/48
Shimano FD CO51 Front Derailleur.
Assuming the BB is the right length, 121.5 or 122mm.

The Upland will be up for sale next week, after the new Sedona arrives.

The Giant Sedona arrived on Monday and the GF insisted on having her new Conti City Contact Slicks fitted. Hey, really nice bike now!! :)

That left me to prepare the Upland for sale. A clean, touch up the paint chips, fit the new Kenda tyres off the Sedona, fit the original pedals, seat etc. Mmmm, now it looks like a new Upland, but something is wrong. Well it takes a lady to pick it, those Kenda 2" tyres, gross!! :eek: So she says to me "You can't expect a lady to ride that, go buy some slicks!!"

Well, into the net, forums, web pages, books and I found some Air Pro 26x1.5 City Slicks. They come from Apollo, the part number is TY561 and they have a Kevlar Belt!! Price, around $25 each depending on how generous your LBS is. ;)

Well, today was test day. She arrived after swim training, and I put her on the Sedona (Contis), up and down the road outside here a few times, top gear in the middle ring, 34-12, was attainable on the flat.

I swapped her onto the Giant Upland (Air Pro) and immediately saw she was not quite as quick, still spinning in top gear in the middle ring, 38-14, but she was working much harder.

Conclusion, the Upland is .5kg lighter, has lower bars and a lower riding position, its got to be the tyres. You just can't go past the Contis, but is $$, $100 for two tyres and 3 tubes is a lot of $$. However when it comes to value for money, the Air Pro TY561 Kevlar Slicks at $25 each are really an excellent buy. :cool:

Another cheap one today, Duro City Cavalier, 26x1.5 40-85psi, at only $15 with Tube (Schrader Valve).

Looks like a good bike path tyre, rolling resistance may be slightly lower than the AirPro City Slick, but not kevlar.

gclark8 said:
Another cheap one today, Duro City Cavalier, 26x1.5 40-85psi, at only $15 with Tube (Schrader Valve).

Looks like a good bike path tyre, rolling resistance may be slightly lower than the AirPro City Slick, but not kevlar.
Where?

jur said:
2 of my friends have them on their bikes, 1 rides twice a week, but neither of them are looking for performance. They keep them pumped up to about 60 psi. No punctures yet and they have had them for at least 6 months. You should be able to get them over there.

Little Jackie said:
2 of my friends have them on their bikes, 1 rides twice a week, but neither of them are looking for performance. They keep them pumped up to about 60 psi. No punctures yet and they have had them for at least 6 months. You should be able to get them over there.
I find myself looking at these. They seem light. I would need to add a Slime punture proof layer. I like the fat ones. Lower rolling resistance, suspension-like performance.

Hold it Wilmer, they are overseas!!! :rolleyes:
Torpedo7 Limited is an established New Zealand company that found the demand from Australia warranted setting up a specific website to cater for Australian customers. Head office is located at 152 Collins Rd, Hamilton, New Zealand. Ph 1800 182930, Fax 0064 7 8496999
Add in currency exchange and air mail!!! :eek:

I'll stick with the local $15 cheapies for Little Jackie's girl friends to use on the bike paths. And for the rest, CONTIs!!!!! :D

over 2000kays of commuting, riding off road paths, through glass... only 4 punctures all up to account for... writing on the sidewall coming off...

it's fast, it grips in the dry and the wet... and it makes my 12year old Apollo wonderfully rideable

heads up for the conti Sport Contact 26x1.3....

altho for my flat bar... i am in love with my michelin Prorace2!

robalert said:
over 2000kays of commuting, riding off road paths, through glass... only 4 punctures all up to account for... writing on the sidewall coming off...

it's fast, it grips in the dry and the wet... and it makes my 12year old Apollo wonderfully rideable

heads up for the conti Sport Contact 26x1.3....

altho for my flat bar... i am in love with my michelin Prorace2!
My antique Yukon also runs conti Sport Contact 26x1.3 front and rear.

Not a single flat in almost 4000 kms that I can lay as the tyre's fault.

The only flats I've had were 2 as a result of the Mr Tuffy's rubbing the tube; a pinch flat (these are my fault) and one dodgy valve last weekend.

Rolls very well and corners as hard as I dare...

Scotty

I wasn't intimating that serious riders should consider the cheap $15 tyres. I just stated the fact that 2 of my firends who obviously are not serious riders are very happy with them. They are a good option for the casual rider!

I prefer Contis! I have a loan bike set up with Continental City Contact in order to give people an experience of better tyres.

gclark8 said:
Hold it Wilmer, they are overseas!!! :rolleyes:

Add in currency exchange and air mail!!! :eek:

I'll stick with the local $15 cheapies for Little Jackie's girl friends to use on the bike paths. And for the rest, CONTIs!!!!! :D
Delivery corresponds to local delivery. I reckon there is a local warehouse, seems to be located somewhere in melb west of the CBD. Found it under Returns.

Jur's right. Torpedo7 seem to have representation here.I've bought a few things from them and postage is only about $9 flat rate (except for larger stuff; wheels, bikes etc). That's not too bad I guess considering Dean Woods in Melb is about $7 and Wooleys Wheels in Sydney is $10. Not a bad place to keep an eye on as they can have some very good sales prices on stuff.