MTB Trails in the Rendlesham Forest area of Suffolk (Public meetingwith forestry Commission)



P

Pete Whelan

Guest
There will be a public meeting with the forestry commision at Butley
Village Hall, 13th June, 7:30pm to gauge interest in having some good
MTB trails (possibly similar to Theyford Forest).... see below

In line with most of the other Forestry Commission sites in the UK, The
FC are looking at doing something in terms of MTB'ing in the Rendlesham
and Tunstall forests. There is to be a public meeting held in Butley
village hall on Wednesday the 13th June at 7:30. We need to have as many
people as possible at this initial meeting and if you want to have any
influence over what happens you will need to be there. The more support
for 'proper' mtb trails we can show, then more likely it is that we will
get something done, otherwise it is likely that the FC will do what they
believe is right which is going to be family friendly fire road routes.
So please come along if you can, and show your support and we'll see if
we can get something going that suits local riders and moves us towards
being the premier MTB centre in the area.
 
P

Paul Rudin

Guest
Pete Whelan <[email protected]> writes:

> The more support for 'proper' mtb trails we can show, then more
> likely it is that we will get something done, otherwise it is likely
> that the FC will do what they believe is right which is going to be
> family friendly fire road routes.


FWIW I think you want both kinds of things. I still do the red route
in Thetford with my daughter sometimes. But at 9 years old she's about
ready for the black one too. The "should be 15 or over" warnings for
the black route are a bit silly.

Incidentally are there any hills down there? That's the main problem
with Thetford forest for mountain biking: it's flat :/
 
J

jen

Guest
On May 15, 6:18 pm, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> FWIW I think you want both kinds of things. I still do the red route
> in Thetford with my daughter sometimes. But at 9 years old she's about
> ready for the black one too. The "should be 15 or over" warnings for
> the black route are a bit silly.


I agree. Fire trails are good for some. We did the red trail at
Thetford last time we were there with our 5 and 7 year old boys and my
69 yr old mother-in-law. We did get some funny looks, but it felt good
taking out lycra bloke who was there with his full suspension mtb and
girlfried on crappy hire bike :)
>
> Incidentally are there any hills down there? That's the main problem
> with Thetford forest for mountain biking: it's flat :/


Flat? They're mountains for us Fen people..
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Pete Whelan
('[email protected]') wrote:

> There will be a public meeting with the forestry commision at Butley
> Village Hall, 13th June, 7:30pm to gauge interest in having some good
> MTB trails (possibly similar to Theyford Forest).... see below
>
> In line with most of the other Forestry Commission sites in the UK, The
> FC are looking at doing something in terms of MTB'ing in the Rendlesham
> and Tunstall forests. There is to be a public meeting held in Butley
> village hall on Wednesday the 13th June at 7:30. We need to have as many
> people as possible at this initial meeting and if you want to have any
> influence over what happens you will need to be there. The more support
> for 'proper' mtb trails we can show, then more likely it is that we will
> get something done, otherwise it is likely that the FC will do what they
> believe is right which is going to be family friendly fire road routes.


Talk to the 7stanes team, who are official FC and are responsbile for some
truly excellent singletrack - up to World Cup standards. Mabie, for
example, has 2Km of raised 'northshore' boardwalk - said to be the longest
in Europe -

http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-5XTKCV

while Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree make excellent use of big natural granite
features

http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/forestry/ACHS-5RPFUL
http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-5ZYK8D

The people I know best on the team are Chris Ross and Julie Cartner;
there's a new overall manager whom I don't really know yet (but will
probably be seeing at a meeting on Friday). If you want their email
addresses mail me (my address is good).

Getting some words of wisdom from real FC bike trail pioneers will probably
help your cause.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.
 
R

Roger Merriman

Guest
Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Pete Whelan <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > The more support for 'proper' mtb trails we can show, then more
> > likely it is that we will get something done, otherwise it is likely
> > that the FC will do what they believe is right which is going to be
> > family friendly fire road routes.

>
> FWIW I think you want both kinds of things. I still do the red route
> in Thetford with my daughter sometimes. But at 9 years old she's about
> ready for the black one too. The "should be 15 or over" warnings for
> the black route are a bit silly.
>
> Incidentally are there any hills down there? That's the main problem
> with Thetford forest for mountain biking: it's flat :/


things are reltive, round here, the rise to richmound park is a hill,
from where i come from it would be a minor lump, if that.

roger