MTB Upgrade

bnet

Jan 15, 2004
1994 Trek 7000. looking to upgrade a little at time. would like to start by upgrading to v-brakes. therefore need to purchase the brakes, levers, & shifters. question regarding the shifters. want to eventually upgrade to 9-speed. will a set of 9-speed shifters work with 7-speed cog set/rear derailleur untill i can afford these components or do i have to upgrade the cog/rear derailleur at the time of the shifter (& v-brake) upgrade?

Originally posted by bnet
1994 Trek 7000. looking to upgrade a little at time. would like to start by upgrading to v-brakes. therefore need to purchase the brakes, levers, & shifters. question regarding the shifters. want to eventually upgrade to 9-speed. will a set of 9-speed shifters work with 7-speed cog set/rear derailleur untill i can afford these components or do i have to upgrade the cog/rear derailleur at the time of the shifter (& v-brake) upgrade?

The 9 speed shifters won't work with 7 speed.
Are your shift and brake levers a combination unit?
If not, you can get new brake levers that have the correct pull for V-Brakes.
The 9 speed cassette won't fit on a 7 speed cassette body.
The 9 speed chain won't work well on your 7 speed crank.
What's wrong with just maintaining what you have now?

Originally posted by daveornee

The 9 speed cassette won't fit on a 7 speed cassette body.

Does that mean it can't be done or he just needs a new cassette body also?

I'm pondering upgrading from my 7 cogs ... and it looks like 8s and 9s are the available options.

Originally posted by swimmeronwheels
Does that mean it can't be done or he just needs a new cassette body also?

I'm pondering upgrading from my 7 cogs ... and it looks like 8s and 9s are the available options.
It means it can be done,but cost more, depending on what you have, since an 8 or 9 speed cassette will not fit on a 7 speed hub. One option is replacing the freehub body for one that takes a 8/9 speed cassette. and redishing the wheel.The other option is a rear wheel with a 8/9 speed hub.