Ryan Cousineau said:In article <[email hidden]>,
Quoted post said:The gearing is usually different. My MTB has a 20x34 lowest gear and a
triple crank but my cyclocross bike has only a 34x30 with my dirt
wheels mounted. A few 'cross bikes are being made with triple cranksets
but most are geared more like a road bike.
That's because you run with a 'cross bike when the going gets steep
enough.
There are nominal cyclocross bikes out there with triples, but the pure
racing bikes (Euro stuff like the Empella, distinguished by light
weight, big expense, and not having any eyelets) generally run doubles,
and a lot of them end up with single front rings (and chainguards on
boths sides) when actually raced.
I'm running a 42t single ring with double guards and it seems to work for me for
everything. I've got a 13-26 in the back and that's really enough range for
racing 'cross, road riding (yeah, I'm slow) and playing on the single track. If
I were riding with groups on the road, I'd need a bigger ring and I do live in
flat Tampa, so your mileage will vary.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:My 'cross bike clears a 42mm tire in the back with just 5mm on either
side of the frame. So frame clearance is also a big difference.
The thing about cyclocross bicycles is that they have big clearances and
cantis, making them suitable for fat tires, fenders, or both. They also
tend to be lighter (and have racier geometry) than full-on touring
bicycles.
The beauty of a good cyclocross bike is that it can be light enough to
credibly road-race, it works in cyclocross too, but the clearances (and
eyelets, in the case of most of the more sensible frames) mean it can
work as a fender-equipped bike, too.
This versatility is really built into the nature of cyclocross event
routes, which tend to be composed of every surface from ashphalt to deep
mud, and lots of off-road surfaces in between.
I love it because it's pretty much how we raced bikes when we were kids: "to the
end of the road, left through the foundations they dug for the new houses, down
the trail behind Tim's house and back on the road near the orchard."
Quoted message said:If I had to pare down to only one frame for some reason, it would be an
easy choice to pick a 'cross machine, and I could happily use such a
bike with minimal compromise for all my current rides: road racing,
commuting, rides with fenders, cyclocross, and anything else that might
come up.
Yep, pretty cool just riding _A_ bike.
Quoted message said:FWIW, my current "cyclocross" bike is a rather dreadful 1970s Motobecane
touring frame, to which I have added a canti-equipped fork and mostly
modern running gear. I use it for commuting and winter training. Come
Fall, the fenders come off, the knobbies go on, and it's racing season.
If I had to, I could race this bike in the summer too, but I have a
roadworthy frame already (which, oddly enough, I raced cyclocross on
last year).
Hehe. Since I got my Redline, my old road bike goes back to being the road bike
and it's safe from the mud.
Ron