MTB vs. Road bike purchase for former runner

katblondie

Jul 14, 2004
Hi all, I'm new here. I've been a runner for 20 years and recently found out I have spondylolisthesis - vertebra out of place and compressed space leading to pain, sciatica, etc - in other words, I can't run anymore! :cool: So I'm trying to decide whether to go the MTB or road bike route. I want to be able to get lots of exercise the way I did with running, hope to find my "runner's high" again. I haven't riden a bike in years and all the traffic around where I live kinda scares me about riding on the roads. Oh, and I also found I have skin cancer so would have to be deligent with the sunscreen. And I wonder if I could get enough of a workout on a mountain bike! I haven't ever road a MTB before! Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. I even thought about getting both bikes, though very inexpensive ones but would the inexpensive ones lead me away from both?!

Thanks everyone!
Kat:D

With your back condition, I would suggest you try a flat bar road bike. They roll pretty fast and you can push yourself...as well as get a rythm (cadence) going on the road that you will enjoy. The reason I suggest flat bar is that the riding position is more relaxed and easier on your frame (like an MTB) and they have a wide range in the gearing which is nice for a beginner...a bike uses new muscles- I have to admit I own one and could not go back to a road bike (mostly my beer-gut though). The Giant Cypress SL, or SX, and the Specialized Sirrus Comp are both bikes that are fast and light, comfortable to ride, and have durable componentry...make sure your shop, should you decide on a flat-bar, puts on some bar-ends for you though- riding all day with a single hand position will hurt your wrists. There are other bikes, but I have ridden these and like them for value and componentry

My 2 cents worth- hope it helps
God bless and may you have a speedy recovery from the cancer. The purple shirt awaits you!
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/GI/gi_1.asp

After my second knee surgery, my doc told me that it would be in my best interest to not run anymore either. What I did was buy a Cyclocross bike because it was a good combination of both worlds. However, the problem with cross and hybrid bikes is that they are ok at everything but great at nothing. I eventually sold it and bought a dedicated road bike.

Based on your back problem, I would not think that the bumpy terrain off-road on a MTB would be a good idea. Therefore, I would go with a road bike (or close to it).

Sam has great ideas with the flat bar and his selections are solid as well. I would also like to recommend some of the sport road bikes as well. They have a more relaxed geometry than the typical road bike and let you sit up more straightly even though they have the traditional road bike handlebars. This would also be less painful on your back and also give you a little better performance than a flat bar bike.

In addition to the Giant Cypress SL, SX, and the Specialized Sirrus Comp that Sam mentioned, you should look at the Specialized Sequoia and the Cannondale Sport Road 500. I am a fan of Jamis bikes so I also will recommend looking at the Jamis Aurora

All of these bikes, as well as a good write up on selecting the best bike for you, can be found at www.citybikes.com. They are located in DC (the east coast traffic nightmare) so if you are worried about riding in traffic, give them a call and talk to them about finding places to ride safely in your area.

I agree with the flat bar road bike suggestion.

Several (over 50 yrs) friends and I have them and they are as fast as road bikes but as comfortable as MTBs.

Try Felt SR71/81/91, or Giant Perigee.