MTB wheel in cross fork

My LBS (Reg Taylor cycles, Oxford) sourced one for me with a 260mm
steerer, so, though not that common, such forks are still available. (I
had tried four other LBS without success).

Apparently from the Raleigh catalogue (2005). Not excessively heavy,
cheap (20 GBP), but definitely low end compared with the rest of my
bike (631).

I had found sourcing such a fork difficult. Before I located this one I
got Bob Jackson cycles to quote me for putting a new steerer tube on a
threaded 531 fork I had. They quoted 75 GBP, including painting. So,
custom building is an alternative route to investigate.

Andrew Webster

[email protected] wrote:
> will a standard 26" mtb wheel fit a cylcocross fork?

Yes, if you use a skinny tire (no knobbies). A 1.5" slick should fit fine.
I hope you're not hoping to brake on the front though.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On 17 Apr 2006 11:35:56 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>will a standard 26" mtb wheel fit a cylcocross fork?

Maybe. Much depends on your requirements and the current equipment.
Will you be using the brakes? Is the bike set up for 559 or 622 rims
now? If it's set up for 559 rims, then the wider mtb rims should
still line up with the brakes though you wuill probably have to
readjust everything. If it's set up for 622 rims (700c tires) now,
then the mtb rims will not work with your brakes. As for the mtb
tires, they're probably going to be too fat if they're knobbies.

Try it and see. The worst thing that you'll probably get is an
education.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On 17 Apr 2006 11:35:56 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>will a standard 26" mtb wheel fit a cylcocross fork?

On my Redline it will. The brakes won't line up.

>does anyone know where I can find a mtb fork with 1" threadless 250mm+
>steerer?

I'm sure it can be ordered through an LBS or online through one of the guys
selling from the Quality Bike Parts catalog.

Ron

so what I'm gathering is axle width shouldn't cause problems, but the
different wheel radius could make the brake bosses unuseable.

sounds like they're currently out of stock in the QBP catalog though.
any other sources?

and Werehatrack, what do you mean by 559 or 622 rims? I'm not familiar
with this.

thanks for the help
Homi