MTBF for SPD-SL cleats?

in message <[email protected]>, dvt ('[email protected]')
wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>> Ironically, I'm seriously contemplating throwing all my SPD pedals to
>> the winds and converting my fleet to Egg Beaters. The reason is that I'm
>> quite enthusiastic about cyclocross, and the SPDs I have are just
>> horrible at mud and **** clearance. Basically, if stuff checks into the
>> pedal interface, it doesn't check out, and clipping in becomes a tedious
>> experience.

> I had the same problem with SPD clones, although it was more frequently
> snow than mud that clogged my pedals. I switched to Time ATAC and the
> problems are gone. I decided on the Times due to a local supply of used
> pedals (I'm a cheapskate).

I also switched to ATACs on my mountain bikes because of frustration with
SPD's poor mud clearance. I'm very happy, and will probably switch my
winter road bike the same way.

;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're
;; doing it for money, stop now.
;; Rainer Deyke

In article <[email protected]>
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > The primary source of wear for mine is putting a tip-toe down at
> > stops without getting off the saddle. (A bad habit, I know).

> Why is it a bad habit? It's what I always do.

Rather than stepping out of the saddle so you can plant a foot firmly on
the ground?

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>>> The primary source of wear for mine is putting a tip-toe down at
>>> stops without getting off the saddle. (A bad habit, I know).

>> Why is it a bad habit? It's what I always do.
>>

> Rather than stepping out of the saddle so you can plant a foot firmly
> on the ground?

That's right, you'd be more stable & secure like that, and your leg's not
being stretched too much, plus of course it' snot grinding the tip of the
cleat down. But lazily I usually put a tip-toe down instead. At least it's
a better position if a car nudged into the back of me. Imagine where the
saddle nose would end up otherwise :-(

~PB

Simon Brooke wrote:

>> The primary source of wear for mine is putting a tip-toe down at
>> stops without getting off the saddle. (A bad habit, I know).

> Why is it a bad habit? It's what I always do.

Just remembered something else as well:

It's worse with PP (non-Keo) Look pedals as the saddle has to be a few mm
higher to make up for the big stack height, making it quite a stretch to the
ground. It'd be worse still on an MTB with a higher BB.

~PB

in message <[email protected]>, Rob Morley
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>> > The primary source of wear for mine is putting a tip-toe down at
>> > stops without getting off the saddle. (A bad habit, I know).

>> Why is it a bad habit? It's what I always do.
>>

> Rather than stepping out of the saddle so you can plant a foot firmly on
> the ground?

Never done that. Why is it better?

Windows 95:
You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
M. Jagger/K. Richards

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Rob
> Morley ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> Rather than stepping out of the saddle so you can plant a foot
>> firmly on the ground?

> Never done that. Why is it better?

For the reasons mentioned in my replies.

~PB

Simon Brooke wrote:

>> Rather than stepping out of the saddle so you can plant a foot
>> firmly on the ground?

> Never done that. Why is it better?

1. Doesn't grind tip of cleat.
2. More relaxing for leg.
3. More stable so less likely to topple over.

~PB

In article <[email protected]>
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Rob Morley
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>
> > Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> in message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs

> >> Why is it a bad habit? It's what I always do.
> >>

> > Rather than stepping out of the saddle so you can plant a foot firmly on
> > the ground?

> Never done that. Why is it better?

More comfortable and safer on a bike with a high bottom bracket, because
you're not stretching and teetering. Easier to pull away because you
can push off with your grounded foot and stepping up into the saddle
puts your full weight on the pedal. I don't always stop that way,
sometimes I stay in the saddle and sometimes I keep both feet up, but
I'm surprised that you never step down when stopping.

In article <[email protected]>
Pete Biggs <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's right, you'd be more stable & secure like that, and your leg's not
> being stretched too much, plus of course it' snot grinding the tip of the
> cleat down. But lazily I usually put a tip-toe down instead. At least it's
> a better position if a car nudged into the back of me. Imagine where the
> saddle nose would end up otherwise :-(

In my case it would go past my left hip, but might later have to be
extracted from the car driver.