MTBiker eaten Mountain lion

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by HowardSteele, Jan 1, 2007.

1. HowardSteele

HowardSteele New Member

Eaten by wild animals?, I Heard a story the other day: of a woman MTBikers attacked by a mountain lion in the Yellowstone national park, She survived but on further inspection at the scene of the attack they discovered a mtb and then the poor MTBiker that had not been so lucky and became part of the food chain.

Is there any truth in this story or is this the birth of another urban legend

Tags:

2. willocrew

willocrew New Member

Yea I heard of Cougar attacks in California. Though the victim was mauled to death and left for dead to be saved up for later rather than eaten alive.

I don't think its an urban legend

3. Tmax

Tmax New Member

It's for sure not an urban legend. It happened probably three years ago in the hills near LA. A woman mountain biker, and her friend found a bike lying near the trail, and when she went over to investigate, the lion attacked her. Her friend had to grab her by the legs and wrestle her away from the lion that had ahold of her by the head! She survived, but on further investigation a guy was found mauled to death near by.

I remember quite a few years ago (15 maybe?), a woman hiking/running in the Cuyamacha Mountains east of San Diego, was killed by a mountain lion. In this case, the lion "harvested" her organs, apparently while she was alive.

Although mountain lion attacks on humans are extremely rare, they do happen on occasion.

4. edp773

edp773 New Member

The story is true and happened two years ago. A women was attacked by a mountain lion while riding her bike. The lion had the lady by the head and was dragging her while her female friend was pulling on her legs to try and stop the lion away.Two male bikers came upon the scene and one hit the lion in the head with a rock, which caused the mountain lion to run. The lion was shot and killed a short time later.

This link tells the story, but not in as much detail:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/2752128/detail.html

5. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

After reading these reports, I'm realy glad I ride a road bike. :rolleyes:

6. edp773

edp773 New Member

Here is a better write up:

35-year-old Mark Jeffrey Reynolds, an amateur mountain bike racer, was killed by a mountain lion sometime after 1:25 p.m. at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park in southern Orange County. His bicycle was later found with the chain unbroken, but off the sprockets. Jim Amormino, a spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department, speculated that Mark was attacked as he was fixing his bike (but see below).

Later the same day, Anne Hjelle, 30, of Santa Ana, a former Marine who works as a fitness instructor, was jumped by the same mountain lion. Anne was attacked a short distance down the trail from Mark's body, which was not visible to her, while she was riding her mountain bicycle. The lion jumped her from a slight rise (~4 feet) on the right hand side of the trail, from under some high brush. The lion quickly had Anne's face in its mouth, despite the presence of Anne's helmet. Her riding companion, Debi Nicholls, was about 30 feet behind Anne and witnessed the attack. Debi threw her bike at the mountain lion, to no avail, then grabbed Anne's legs and screamed as the lion dragged both of them 30 feet down the slope into the brush. The lion kept attacking Anne, alternating between her helmet, face and neck. The screams brought Nils Magnuson, 33, of Long Beach, and Mike Castellano to the scene, who called 911 and scared off the mountain lion by throwing rocks at it.

Anne was airlifted to Mission Hospital. Her condition was initially critical, was upgraded from serious as of early 9 January, and to fair as of 10 January.

Nils was nearby since he had just found Mark's bicycle, and was about to look for Mark. (Mountain bikers crash fairly frequently, so finding a crashed bicycle is not an unusual occurrence. It is customary to stop and render aid to crashees.) After this attack, Mark's body was found dead higher on the trail than where Anne was attacked. Mark had apparently been dead for some hours, and his body had been half-eaten and partially buried, typical of a mountain lion kill. Later that night, Sheriff's deputies shot and killed a healthy 3- to 4-year-old, 110-122 pound male lion, which was spotted 50 yards from the man's body. Initial tests found human skin tissue, and portions of a human lung and liver in the lion's stomach, which were confirmed later to match Mark's DNA. No fibers from Anne's clothing, nor any slivers from her helmet, were found in the initial examination, but later DNA tests matched Anne to the blood on one of the lion's claws.

7. Pendejo

Pendejo Member

Except that cars and trucks are infinitely more likely to kill you than a mountain lion is.

8. edp773

edp773 New Member

You got that right. I can't count the close calls I have had with caged animals driving.

9. AmpedCycle

AmpedCycle New Member

A woman in northern california was also killed by a mountain lion several years ago. Somewhere near El Dorado Hills/Tahoe, I believe. Come to think of it, I saw a coyote last night... *shivering* spooky!

10. snaps10

snaps10 New Member

yeah, but the difference between a coyote and mt lion. a coyote is afraid of you, if a mt lion attacks you its because it is hungry. always, always fight off a mt lion, they dont play with you like a bear, they WILL eat you.

11. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Mountain Lions are likely to attack a human only if they feel threatened, like you've come too close to her cubs. Not saying they WON'T eat you, just that they'd rather have something else. Standard advice is to stand up and look big (hold your bike up over your head) and make a lot of noise. In most of these cases the people were hunched over and looked small and easy.

Coyotes usually will allow you to come pretty close before they get spooked. I wouldn't want to tangle with a mad one but they're not very scary... only about 30 pounds or so. Usually they just watch as I ride by.

12. roll on

roll on New Member

just last night on a cloudy dull full moon ride.on a slightly rainy and misty night we spooked a black bear that was just on the road side in letchworth park ny. whoa!!! thank god we didn't smell like pizza or disposable dipers!!!!

13. dougadam

dougadam Member

I was shocked when I heard about that. They said he as probably changing a tire when attracted. :mad:

14. ::dom::

::dom:: New Member

:confused:
    Cyclists killed by lions: 1.

Cyclists killed by cars:........

15. Mudu93

Mudu93 New Member

I went to college with Mark and he was the best man in my wedding. What happened to him was a tragedy and a great loss cycling and those who knew him. His parents have set up a memorial fund that channels all donations into purchasing bikes for needy children. If you feel strongly about spreading the gospel of cycling please donate to the Mark Jeffrey Reynolds Memoria First Bike Fund. Donations can be made through the website www.markreynoldsfund.org.

Thanks

Mud

16. janiejones

janiejones New Member

After reading these reports, I'm really gald I live in Australia - but that koala looked pretty freakin' cranky the other day!!!!!

17. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

Very sad, I'm glad she lived!