MTBiking - anyone gone from FS to HT?

A.Lee

Guest
I'm thinking of a change on the mountain bike front - I've currently got
a full susser, but a nice steel hard tail frame has caught my eye.
Has anyone gone back from full sus to a hardtail bike?
And was it worth it, or did you regret it?
Ta
Alan.

A.Lee wrote on 24/11/2006 18:50 +0100:
> I'm thinking of a change on the mountain bike front - I've currently got
> a full susser, but a nice steel hard tail frame has caught my eye.
> Has anyone gone back from full sus to a hardtail bike?
> And was it worth it, or did you regret it?

Not quite a switch back. I have both but usually ride the FS on the
rough stuff. Recently though I have been taking the hardtail out and
found it really enjoyable - much more agile and flickable than the FS
and it encouraged you to ride over stuff rather than blast through and
let the suspension take care of it. I would suggest you won't regret it.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

in message <1hpblkz.ca72jp11uz54yN%alan@darkroom.+.com>, A.Lee
('alan@darkroom.+.com') wrote:

> I'm thinking of a change on the mountain bike front - I've currently got
> a full susser, but a nice steel hard tail frame has caught my eye.
> Has anyone gone back from full sus to a hardtail bike?
> And was it worth it, or did you regret it?

I'm thinking of going from full suss to rigid. I don't intend to sell my
full suss bike, but I think it's made me lazy and that I would benefit
from the discipline of a rigid. Basically any unskilled cyclist can get
through technical singletrack on a good enough full suspension bike. I
need to repolish my bike handling skills.

my other car is #<Subr-Car: #5d480>
;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

"A.Lee" <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of a change on the mountain bike front - I've currently got
> a full susser, but a nice steel hard tail frame has caught my eye.
> Has anyone gone back from full sus to a hardtail bike?
> And was it worth it, or did you regret it?
> Ta
> Alan.
> --
> To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.

Nope but I am terrified by the fact that the HT frame a mate is building up
for me is lighter than my road frame. Though the forks that are going on it
weigh more than the road bike.

Niall

A.Lee wrote:
> I'm thinking of a change on the mountain bike front - I've currently got
> a full susser, but a nice steel hard tail frame has caught my eye.
> Has anyone gone back from full sus to a hardtail bike?
> And was it worth it, or did you regret it?
> Ta
> Alan.
> --
> To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.

Built up a Kona Caldera frame with a Marzocchi fork a couple of years
ago to see if it would be a feasible replacement for my '99 Marin East
Peak full susser. It wasn't - just too hard on my lower back (even
with a USE seat post). Undoubtedly great fun for a short blast (it's
all that trail vibration...) but for big days out on the Downs - no
way, too tiring. (To be fair, I should add that I suffer a bit from
cold hands / wrist pain so have my off-road bike set up for a fairly
upright ride position - which is fine on the Marin, as the rear sus. is
'good'.)