MTBing in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Claes, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. Claes

    Claes New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Hi guys, I am just curious, where can you go moutainbiking in the vicinity of Melbourne CBD? Say 25k radious? Anything good around? I would not have a clue. A friend has bought an MTB, and now I want one too. Gaah, miss my Gary Fisher XCaliber.

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    there's the track/s that fullgaspromotions run the SS and dirt-crits on in South Melbourne or below the westgate. MarxSS, where is you?

  3. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Heaps!

    Best bet is to head for the yarra and keep heading upstream and keep your eyes peeled left and right for the singletrack. You'll find it... Through fairfield, ivanhoe, out to templestowe and beyond. There's always a little bit more you didn't find last time...

    Of course, if you're willing to push out a bit further to Lysterfield, you can try out the new Commonwealth games course...

    Maybe we need an 'a.b. mtb b.r.'...

    Otherwise, chat to the guys at vic mtb for the low-down on most of what's available... Their rides (many of which are within that radius) are here: http://www.vicmtb.com.au/ride/xc.php

  4. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    eddiec has it down to a T.
    Grab the Main Yarra trail (sealed) east-ish from Chandler Hway bridge (Melways 45 B1) & head towards Westerfolds park, checking left & right for singletrack as you go.
    Takes me 4hrs min to get out & back from Westerfolds park with majority of it offroad.

    Not sure about Deluxe's (club) little course at the back end of the carpark off Montague/Munro/Ford sts Sth Melb is still there - intresting little 1 min loop.

    Then there is FGP's http://www.fullgaspromotions.com.au/new/dirtcrits.html Thursday night Dirt Crit course at Westgate park (Melways 56 E1), which may not be marked out any other time, but just follow the MTB tyre tracks....

    Also some singletrack along the Maribynong river near & in Bringbank park (Melways 14 J12), kinda rough going through.

    Woodlands Historical park Tullamarine Melways 5, E2.

  5. slaw

    slaw New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    Also grab a copy of the 2 ORCA books. There are a couple of rides close to the CBD in there, and you'll soon want to explore more ground, so these books will help.

  6. "Marc Bishop" wrote:

    > Where do you get these from?
    >
    > What does ORCA stand for?

    Off Road Cycling Adventures
    http://www.orca.net.au/

    See their Sales page for details of the books. Available from most good
    bikie shops, usually on the counter - just ask their MTB dude.

    Cheers
    Peter