MTBing

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Niv, Mar 9, 2003.

  1. Niv

    Niv Guest

    OK, I intend to do a bit more MTBing this year, (I'm really a roadie, but enjoy the rough stuff as
    well). Went to Rhayader last year (twice), 1st all roadie, 2nd mainly MTBing.

    So is Rhayader better/worse/as good as Forest of Dean; a squash colleaugue raves about it. I like
    Rhayader nice little town centre (Pub center really!), and excellent & cheap campsite on the Wye; 5
    mins walk from the pub, sorry, town center.

    What FoD like please?

    Niv.

    Tags:

  2. "Niv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > OK, I intend to do a bit more MTBing this year, (I'm really a roadie, but enjoy the rough stuff as
    > well). Went to Rhayader last year (twice), 1st
    all
    > roadie, 2nd mainly MTBing.
    >
    > So is Rhayader better/worse/as good as Forest of Dean; a squash colleaugue raves about it. I like
    > Rhayader nice little town centre (Pub center really!), and
    excellent
    > & cheap campsite on the Wye; 5 mins walk from the pub, sorry, town center.
    >
    > What FoD like please?
    >
    > Niv.

    FoD is ok but it's not even in the same league as Rhayader which is pretty close to the top of the
    pile in mtb terms

    Russ

  3. Albert

    Albert Guest

    "Niv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > OK, I intend to do a bit more MTBing this year, (I'm really a roadie, but enjoy the rough stuff as
    > well). Went to Rhayader last year (twice), 1st all roadie, 2nd mainly MTBing.
    >
    > So is Rhayader better/worse/as good as Forest of Dean; a squash colleaugue raves about it. I like
    > Rhayader nice little town centre (Pub center really!), and excellent & cheap campsite on the Wye;
    > 5 mins walk from the pub, sorry, town center.
    >
    > What FoD like please?
    >
    > Niv.

    rhayader is a great little town, gateway to the elan / aber and some great pubs but a bit bleak
    compared to the FoD, which is all quaint little villages and quiet tracks.

    I've done both on motorbikes and I'm off to do rhayader & environs on a MTB this year

    if you've done rhayader give the FoD a try, for variety ?

    beware tho' all the men drink zoider and comb their hair in a strange forward style.

    Albert

  4. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "> What FoD like please?

    > Niv.

    Very pleasant but more populated.

    Another advantage of Rhayader is its proximity to Llanwrtyd Wells. If you intend to spend a week in
    Mid Wales you will have time to visit both centres of excellent cycling.

    John

  5. > Very pleasant but more populated.

    > Another advantage of Rhayader is its proximity to Llanwrtyd Wells. If you intend to spend a week
    > in Mid Wales you will have time to visit both
    centres
    > of excellent cycling.
    >
    > John

    Nant y arian is not far either or the Hafren forest!!!

    Sean

  6. "Sean Grosvenor" <[email protected]_trapbtinternet.com> wrote: ) Nant y arian is not far either or the
    Hafren forest!!!

    Bwlch Nant yr Arian is also one of the best places to see ludicrous numbers of Red Kites all at
    once, when they feed them early in the afternoon.

  7. "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Sean Grosvenor" <[email protected]_trapbtinternet.com> wrote: ) Nant y arian is not far either or the
    > Hafren forest!!!
    >
    > Bwlch Nant yr Arian is also one of the best places to see ludicrous numbers of Red Kites all at
    > once, when they feed them early in the afternoon.

    Either that or most of the South end of the Chilterns about 30 miles west of Central London !

  8. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > ) Nant y arian is not far either or the Hafren forest!!!
    >
    > Bwlch Nant yr Arian is also one of the best places to see ludicrous numbers of Red Kites all at
    > once, when they feed them early in the afternoon.

    So. Come to Wales then. I did.

    John

  9. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "russell pinder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > Bwlch Nant yr Arian is also one of the best places to see ludicrous numbers of Red Kites all at
    > > once, when they feed them early in the afternoon.
    >
    > Either that or most of the South end of the Chilterns about 30 miles west of Central London !

    Thanks mainly to Paul Getty's breeding programme at Stokenchurch.

  10. Niv

    Niv Guest

    Funnily enough, I live in Chesham, 30 miles West of London (OK WNW). I have seen some Kites, but
    tend to roadie in the N or E or S direction, not too often to the W, all thos BIG hills at the
    Chiltern escarpment. (OK they're small after going up the back road to above the Elan Valley, but
    news:[email protected]...

  11. "Niv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Funnily enough, I live in Chesham, 30 miles West of London (OK WNW). I have seen some Kites, but
    > tend to roadie in the N or E or S direction,
    not
    > too often to the W, all thos BIG hills at the Chiltern escarpment. (OK they're small after going
    > up the back road to above the Elan Valley, but that's a once a year ride, not every week). Niv
    > "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "russell pinder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Either that or most of the South end of the Chilterns about 30 miles
    > west of
    > > > Central London !
    > >
    > > Thanks mainly to Paul Getty's breeding programme at Stokenchurch.

    I work in Stokenchurch and it's pretty rare I don't see a good few from my office window - 10 at
    once is record from the office but I've seen more out on my bike, awesome birds but unfortunately
    they've become very commonplace now.

    Russ

  12. "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote: ( "russell pinder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > ) > "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote ... ( > > Bwlch Nant yr Arian
    > is also one of the best places to see ) > > ludicrous numbers of Red Kites all at once, when they
    > feed ( > > them early in the afternoon. ) > Either that or most of the South end of the Chilterns
    > about 30 miles
    west of
    > ( > Central London ! ) Thanks mainly to Paul Getty's breeding programme at Stokenchurch.
    >
    > Russell Pinder's sense of the ludicrous is on a smaller scale than mine. If you go to Bwlch Nant
    > yr Arian at 3pm (BST, I think; 2pm GMT) you will see more Red Kites at once than they think they
    > have breeding at Stokenchurch. It's uncanny to see them gathering over the hills around for about
    > an hour before feeding time.

    Fair enough - there's enough round here that they're beginning to be considered a bit of a pest by a
    significant number of locals so I guess we really don't want any more (They're spreading out to
    surrounding areas now anyway - guess the immediate locality is saturated).

    Out of interest why do they feed them in wales ? Is it just a tourist attraction thing or is it
    necessary to support such a large number in a small area?

    Russ