MTBing

Niv

Guest
OK, I intend to do a bit more MTBing this year, (I'm really a roadie, but enjoy the rough stuff as
well). Went to Rhayader last year (twice), 1st all roadie, 2nd mainly MTBing.

So is Rhayader better/worse/as good as Forest of Dean; a squash colleaugue raves about it. I like
Rhayader nice little town centre (Pub center really!), and excellent & cheap campsite on the Wye; 5
mins walk from the pub, sorry, town center.

What FoD like please?

Niv.

"Niv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> OK, I intend to do a bit more MTBing this year, (I'm really a roadie, but enjoy the rough stuff as
> well). Went to Rhayader last year (twice), 1st
all
> roadie, 2nd mainly MTBing.
>
> So is Rhayader better/worse/as good as Forest of Dean; a squash colleaugue raves about it. I like
> Rhayader nice little town centre (Pub center really!), and
excellent
> & cheap campsite on the Wye; 5 mins walk from the pub, sorry, town center.
>
> What FoD like please?
>
> Niv.

FoD is ok but it's not even in the same league as Rhayader which is pretty close to the top of the
pile in mtb terms

Russ

"Niv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> OK, I intend to do a bit more MTBing this year, (I'm really a roadie, but enjoy the rough stuff as
> well). Went to Rhayader last year (twice), 1st all roadie, 2nd mainly MTBing.
>
> So is Rhayader better/worse/as good as Forest of Dean; a squash colleaugue raves about it. I like
> Rhayader nice little town centre (Pub center really!), and excellent & cheap campsite on the Wye;
> 5 mins walk from the pub, sorry, town center.
>
> What FoD like please?
>
> Niv.

rhayader is a great little town, gateway to the elan / aber and some great pubs but a bit bleak
compared to the FoD, which is all quaint little villages and quiet tracks.

I've done both on motorbikes and I'm off to do rhayader & environs on a MTB this year

if you've done rhayader give the FoD a try, for variety ?

beware tho' all the men drink zoider and comb their hair in a strange forward style.

Albert

"> What FoD like please?

> Niv.

Very pleasant but more populated.

Another advantage of Rhayader is its proximity to Llanwrtyd Wells. If you intend to spend a week in
Mid Wales you will have time to visit both centres of excellent cycling.

John

> Very pleasant but more populated.
>
> Another advantage of Rhayader is its proximity to Llanwrtyd Wells. If you intend to spend a week
> in Mid Wales you will have time to visit both
centres
> of excellent cycling.
>
> John

Nant y arian is not far either or the Hafren forest!!!

Sean

"Sean Grosvenor" <seaniebg@spam_trapbtinternet.com> wrote: ) Nant y arian is not far either or the
Hafren forest!!!

Bwlch Nant yr Arian is also one of the best places to see ludicrous numbers of Red Kites all at
once, when they feed them early in the afternoon.

"Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Sean Grosvenor" <seaniebg@spam_trapbtinternet.com> wrote: ) Nant y arian is not far either or the
> Hafren forest!!!
>
> Bwlch Nant yr Arian is also one of the best places to see ludicrous numbers of Red Kites all at
> once, when they feed them early in the afternoon.

Either that or most of the South end of the Chilterns about 30 miles west of Central London !

> ) Nant y arian is not far either or the Hafren forest!!!
>
> Bwlch Nant yr Arian is also one of the best places to see ludicrous numbers of Red Kites all at
> once, when they feed them early in the afternoon.

So. Come to Wales then. I did.

John

"russell pinder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > Bwlch Nant yr Arian is also one of the best places to see ludicrous numbers of Red Kites all at
> > once, when they feed them early in the afternoon.
>
> Either that or most of the South end of the Chilterns about 30 miles west of Central London !

Thanks mainly to Paul Getty's breeding programme at Stokenchurch.

Funnily enough, I live in Chesham, 30 miles West of London (OK WNW). I have seen some Kites, but
tend to roadie in the N or E or S direction, not too often to the W, all thos BIG hills at the
Chiltern escarpment. (OK they're small after going up the back road to above the Elan Valley, but
news:[email protected]...

"Niv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3LKba.278$_k1.156371@newsfep2-gui...
> Funnily enough, I live in Chesham, 30 miles West of London (OK WNW). I have seen some Kites, but
> tend to roadie in the N or E or S direction,
not
> too often to the W, all thos BIG hills at the Chiltern escarpment. (OK they're small after going
> up the back road to above the Elan Valley, but that's a once a year ride, not every week). Niv
> "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "russell pinder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Either that or most of the South end of the Chilterns about 30 miles
> west of
> > > Central London !
> >
> > Thanks mainly to Paul Getty's breeding programme at Stokenchurch.

I work in Stokenchurch and it's pretty rare I don't see a good few from my office window - 10 at
once is record from the office but I've seen more out on my bike, awesome birds but unfortunately
they've become very commonplace now.

Russ

"Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote: ( "russell pinder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> ) > "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote ... ( > > Bwlch Nant yr Arian
> is also one of the best places to see ) > > ludicrous numbers of Red Kites all at once, when they
> feed ( > > them early in the afternoon. ) > Either that or most of the South end of the Chilterns
> about 30 miles
west of
> ( > Central London ! ) Thanks mainly to Paul Getty's breeding programme at Stokenchurch.
>
> Russell Pinder's sense of the ludicrous is on a smaller scale than mine. If you go to Bwlch Nant
> yr Arian at 3pm (BST, I think; 2pm GMT) you will see more Red Kites at once than they think they
> have breeding at Stokenchurch. It's uncanny to see them gathering over the hills around for about
> an hour before feeding time.

Fair enough - there's enough round here that they're beginning to be considered a bit of a pest by a
significant number of locals so I guess we really don't want any more (They're spreading out to
surrounding areas now anyway - guess the immediate locality is saturated).

Out of interest why do they feed them in wales ? Is it just a tourist attraction thing or is it
necessary to support such a large number in a small area?

Russ