MTB's for Extreme Triathlons...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by rtsy, Sep 14, 2003.

1. rtsy

rtsy New Member

Recently, I became aware of a local multi-sport event where the bike and the run aren't in nice paved roads but on trails.

Anyone here know how MTB's used for this ex-tri events are equipped? Thanks!

Tags:

2. percious

percious New Member

I suppose you could try a cyclocross bike if you wanted... Its like a road bike (700c tires) with nobbies, and a triple crank. Hook it up with a rock shock ruby (suspension road fork) if you can find one and you would have a real fun ride. Otherwise, get yourself the lightest hardtail you can find, and ride that.

-percious

3. cRock

cRock New Member

If you talking about "adventure racing" then I've done a few. I would recommend you get a bike roughly equivilent to an XC racer, but with an eye towards reliability. There is nothing worse than completing 2/3s of a race and then having your bike break down! The races I've done usually have a nasty stream crossing or two which will ruin cheap suspension pivots, bottom brackets, and headsets.

There is a pretty even split between hardtails and FS bikes. The trails usually aren't super technical, but the reduced fatigue of an FS is nice for some. Efficent FS bikes like the Giant NRS and Cannondale Scalpel are very popular choices.

I did a fall race on my Bianchi Kingbee hardtail withs lots of parts upgrades. The frame is burly but reasonably light and the Marz Comp MX fork is pretty indestructable. I managed to finish despite a bent, ghost shifting rear derailer. My friend broke the derailer hanger off of his Giant Rainer and walked the last 2 miles :(

4. Hecubus

Hecubus New Member

I would imagine it would be somewhat similar to how a mountain bike gets prepared for a cyclocross race. Basically a light XC racer with a light lockout capable or rigid fork and skinny mtb tires.