Mtn Bike Wheel Query

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peter, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    How good are wheels built with Shimano STX PM-MC 38 32 hole hubs and
    Velocity K-525 Rims (Australian manufactured rims)?
    Thanks once more for all pertinent replies.

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > How good are wheels built with Shimano STX PM-MC 38 32 hole hubs and
    > Velocity K-525 Rims (Australian manufactured rims)? Thanks once more for
    > all pertinent replies.

    Good potential value, but on the lower end of both manufacturers model
    lines. If they are built by competent builder, they should provide
    10,000s of miles of service.

    Some Reviews:

    <http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/hub/>

    <http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/rim/>

    The quality will now be mostly effected by the qualtiy of the spokes and
    the quality of the build. Velocity Synergy is a great cross country rim
    and Deore, LX, and XT are all up-scale in quality from the STX.

    --

  3. prekow-<< How good are wheels built with Shimano STX PM-MC 38 32 hole hubs and
    Velocity K-525 Rims (Australian manufactured rims)?

    Only as good as the builder. If a good one, good wheels, if not, not good
    wheels.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  4. Bruni

    Bruni Guest

    The k525 is a 380gm rim and is best at the XC side of the MTB spectrum of
    uses.
    Tom

    --
    Bruni Bicycles
    "Where art meets science"
    Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > prekow-<< How good are wheels built with Shimano STX PM-MC 38 32 hole hubs

    and
    > Velocity K-525 Rims (Australian manufactured rims)?
    > Thanks once more for all pertinent replies. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Only as good as the builder. If a good one, good wheels, if not, not good
    > wheels.
    >
    > Peter Chisholm
    > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535
    > http://www.vecchios.com
    > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > How good are wheels built with Shimano STX PM-MC 38 32 hole hubs and
    > Velocity K-525 Rims (Australian manufactured rims)?
    > Thanks once more for all pertinent replies.

    Thanks for the replies people. Another question re. these wheels. If
    properly built are they of much better quality than Shimano Alivio Hubs (7
    gear rear) and Rigida Rims (1.75wide)? Sorry I can't find an identifying
    number on the Rigidas but they are drilled for Schraeder valves.

    Thanks again for all help.

    ps. I bought the wheels with the STX hubs, 8-gear cluster (34 teeth granny),
    2 tubes, 2 Secialized Ground Control II 1.95 tires, a black Sell Italia
    racing saddle with Cro-moly rails (now on my roadbike), and a Sugino MIGHTY
    350X four bolt crankset with 175mm arms (only has the middle 42 teeth
    chainring swapped with an older Sugino triple 28-38-48 until I get a 28 and
    52 chainring for it), unidentified MTB pedals with MTB toe-clips as well as
    the Phoenix DITCHPIG frame and Shimano short cantilevers for the whopping
    sum of $20 Cdn. The bike also had handlebars stem and brake levers which I
    donated as I was putting on an adjustable stem, ergo drop bars,aero brake
    levers and Ultegra bar cons. Bike is finished and rides like a charm with
    1.25 tires (90psi) on the Velocity K-525 rims. All that is needed now is to
    take the wheels in to get them prperly tensioned. They are true but the
    spokes are a little loose.

  6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...

    >How good are wheels built with Shimano STX PM-MC 38 32 hole hubs and
    >Velocity K-525 Rims (Australian manufactured rims)?
    >Thanks once more for all pertinent replies.

    Assuming good stainless steel double butted spokes _AND_ a competent build,
    they are very good wheels.
    Alex