Much Much Easier .....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Elyob, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    My LBS changed my bottom bracket today .. I really couldn't be bothered, and it sounded like a
    horrible job. Embarrassingly, there was also a note saying "We fixed up the gears as well" - which
    basically translates as "Don't try doing it yourself, muppet".

    Tags:

  2. >Embarrassingly, there was also a note saying "We fixed up the gears as well" - which basically
    >translates as "Don't try doing it yourself, muppet".

    LOL!!! Good one.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My LBS changed my bottom bracket today .. I really couldn't be bothered,
    and
    > it sounded like a horrible job. Embarrassingly, there was also a note
    saying
    > "We fixed up the gears as well" - which basically translates as "Don't try doing it yourself,
    > muppet".

    The only time I ever took my bike in to be serviced they also fixed the gears without being asked.

    In this case fixing meant that the front derailleur would no longer go onto the granny ring and
    on my second journey after the fix my rear derailleur crumpled into my backwheel taking the
    hanger with it.

    The gears had never given me any problems before this service :eek:(.

  4. Andy P

    Andy P Guest

    "Frank X" <[email protected]> wrote

    > The only time I ever took my bike in to be serviced they also fixed the gears without being asked.
    >
    > In this case fixing meant that the front derailleur would no longer go
    onto
    > the granny ring and on my second journey after the fix my rear derailleur crumpled into my
    > backwheel taking the hanger with it.
    >
    > The gears had never given me any problems before this service :eek:(.

    Can't remember the details exactly but someone I know took their bike in to be serviced a few years
    ago and when they got it back and asked me to have a look it was patently obvious they'd done
    practically nothing at all to it despite several things needing tweaking.

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  6. "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My LBS changed my bottom bracket today .. I really couldn't be bothered,
    > and
    > > it sounded like a horrible job.
    >
    > Mine cost 12 quid at a LBS, not worth the hassle of DIY at that price.

    LBS did their best to persuade me it was a horrible job, but I wasn't persuaded and it wasn't.
    Although it would have been a bit cheaper, as a one-off exercise for them to have done it, but the
    money saved on labour mostly paid for the tools for the job, and next time it won't cost me
    anything. I also like tools...

    Rich

  7. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My LBS changed my bottom bracket today .. I really couldn't be bothered,
    > and
    > > it sounded like a horrible job.
    >
    > Mine cost 12 quid at a LBS, not worth the hassle of DIY at that price.

    Yup .. £14 for doing a job I really didn't want to do .. however, they may have just greased up the
    existing one. You never know, unless you do it yourself. As long as it works though ... :)

  8. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > My LBS changed my bottom bracket today .. I really couldn't be
    bothered,
    > > and
    > > > it sounded like a horrible job.
    > >
    > > Mine cost 12 quid at a LBS, not worth the hassle of DIY at that price.
    > >

    > LBS did their best to persuade me it was a horrible job, but I wasn't persuaded and it wasn't.
    > Although it would have been a bit cheaper, as a one-off exercise for them to have done it, but the
    > money saved on labour mostly paid for the tools for the job, and next time it won't cost me
    > anything. I also like tools...
    >
    > Rich

    I asked here earlier .. and was persuaded differently ...

    http://tinyurl.com/fh0z

  9. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Frank X" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > The only time I ever took my bike in to be serviced they also fixed the gears without being
    > > asked.
    > >
    > > In this case fixing meant that the front derailleur would no longer go
    > onto
    > > the granny ring and on my second journey after the fix my rear
    derailleur
    > > crumpled into my backwheel taking the hanger with it.
    > >
    > > The gears had never given me any problems before this service :eek:(.
    >
    > Can't remember the details exactly but someone I know took their bike in
    > be serviced a few years ago and when they got it back and asked me to have
    > look it was patently obvious they'd done practically nothing at all to it despite several things
    > needing tweaking.

    They did a nice job on mine .. I probably keep it 70-85% okay, but they tweaked it to move fairly
    smoothly .. I think the fact I left my Lumicycles on may have given some respect ... especially as
    it's summer .. I really am a muppet. They got it right.

  10. In message <[email protected]>, elyob <[email protected]> writes
    >My LBS changed my bottom bracket today .. I really couldn't be bothered, and it sounded like a
    >horrible job.

    I tried that some years ago with a still-prominent central London bike shop. I headed off
    towards Wales. A week into the holiday, the bottom bracket came off. It hadn't been put back on
    the thread, just jammed in place. Fortunately there was still a fair bit of thread left, I was
    nearly at my destination anyway, and the central London bike shop did put it really right with
    apologies and without further charge, which is why I'm not putting their name in here. Anyway,
    it only goes to show.

    >Embarrassingly, there was also a note saying "We fixed up the gears as well" - which basically
    >translates as "Don't try doing it yourself, muppet".

    I might have been better off if I had. I'd probably have made a cock of it too, but at least I'd
    probably have realized at the time.

    --
    Richard Keatinge

    http://www.keatinge.net