mud guard/fender ahoy!

matabala

Guest
Noticed a goodly number of road bikes using the rear mud guard/fender
appendage (official name?) during a recent visit in the States. Is this a
growing occurrence where you're riding? What's to account for the increased
popularity if that's the case? Is it niche marketing for the consumer who
can't say no? Is it efficient (cleanliness is, after all, next to godliness
with the faith quotient in the US almighty high)? Have to wonder as I've
yet to spot one here in the old world.

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:20:55 +0100, "matabala" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Noticed a goodly number of road bikes using the rear mud guard/fender
>appendage (official name?) during a recent visit in the States. Is this a
>growing occurrence where you're riding? What's to account for the increased
>popularity if that's the case? Is it niche marketing for the consumer who
>can't say no? Is it efficient (cleanliness is, after all, next to godliness
>with the faith quotient in the US almighty high)? Have to wonder as I've
>yet to spot one here in the old world.

Not sure what you are referring to. You mean a 'traditional' full mud
guard that wraps from the bottom bracket around? I was under the
impression that these are common in Europe. They reduce mud and dirt
on a good hunk of the drivetrain, as well as keep the rider dryer.

Maybe you mean the flying hunk of plastic coming off of the seat post
area?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=109&subcategory=1124&sku=8574&brand=
[ http://tinyurl.com/247sv ]

About all that these do is redistribute some disposable income, reduce
the stripe down the rider's backside, and make removal easy. Beyond
that, they aren't of much use.

"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Maybe you mean the flying hunk of plastic coming off of the seat post
> area?
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=109&subcategory=1124&sku=8574&brand=
> [ http://tinyurl.com/247sv ]
>
> About all that these do is redistribute some disposable income, reduce
> the stripe down the rider's backside, and make removal easy. Beyond
> that, they aren't of much use.

Yeh, the "aren't of much use" variety is what I'm referring to, on road
bikes to boot.

matabala wrote:

> "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Maybe you mean the flying hunk of plastic coming off of the seat post
> > area?
> >
> > http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=109&subcategory=1124&sku=8574&brand=
> > [ http://tinyurl.com/247sv ]
> >
> > About all that these do is redistribute some disposable income, reduce
> > the stripe down the rider's backside, and make removal easy. Beyond
> > that, they aren't of much use.

> Yeh, the "aren't of much use" variety is what I'm referring to, on road
> bikes to boot.

Maybe not much use on a commuter where cleanliness earns points, but on
a training ride (where a waterproof jacket isn't any use and you'll get
wet anyhow) your chamois will stay a lot drier.
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:43:25 +0100, "matabala" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>> Maybe you mean the flying hunk of plastic coming off of the seat post
>> area?
>>
>> http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=109&subcategory=1124&sku=8574&brand=
>> [ http://tinyurl.com/247sv ]
>>
>> About all that these do is redistribute some disposable income, reduce
>> the stripe down the rider's backside, and make removal easy. Beyond
>> that, they aren't of much use.

>Yeh, the "aren't of much use" variety is what I'm referring to, on road
>bikes to boot.

Like many things in the USA, common sense and practicality are not the
primary factors in people's consumer decisions.

matabala wrote:

> "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>Maybe you mean the flying hunk of plastic coming off of the seat post
>>area?
>>
>>http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=109&subcategory=1124&sku=8574&brand=
>>[ http://tinyurl.com/247sv ]
>>
>>About all that these do is redistribute some disposable income, reduce
>>the stripe down the rider's backside, and make removal easy. Beyond
>>that, they aren't of much use.

> Yeh, the "aren't of much use" variety is what I'm referring to, on road
> bikes to boot.

Ummm... road grit is hard to wash out of those $75 designer jerseys, and
we'll buy a new bike if *it* gets dirty?

Mark "full fenders in the wet" Janeba

news:[email protected]...

[link removed] [link substituted : http://tinyurl.com/6o6ev ]

> About all that these do is redistribute some disposable income, reduce
> the stripe down the rider's backside, and make removal easy. Beyond
> that, they aren't of much use.

I certainly don't speak for you, but I like keeping that wet stripe off my
back. Also, the mud-guard has become very popular in my club, as there is
also less of stripe in the face of the guy following. He seems to like it.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:33:11 +0100, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> Maybe you mean the flying hunk of plastic coming off of the seat post
>> area?
>>

>[link removed] [link substituted : http://tinyurl.com/6o6ev ]
>>
>> About all that these do is redistribute some disposable income, reduce
>> the stripe down the rider's backside, and make removal easy. Beyond
>> that, they aren't of much use.

>I certainly don't speak for you, but I like keeping that wet stripe off my
>back. Also, the mud-guard has become very popular in my club, as there is
>also less of stripe in the face of the guy following. He seems to like it.

Riding behind people with the plastic board hanging off of the seat
post, I don't notice any significant reduction of the spray coming
back towards me. But I am not riding pacelines in the rain, only
commuting, etc. Maybe that's the secret, get close enough so that the
spray doesn't go up to my face?

The SKS race blades seem much more effective at reducing back spray.

Rear fenders/mudguards of that sort are a partial remedy for frames
that lack sufficient clearance to mount the traditional kind.

Most road bikes sold in the US market lately don't have adequate
clearance for true 28mm tires, let alone fenders. If they had enough
clearance, they could use quick-detachable fenders with better
coverage.

Chalo Colina

matabala wrote:

> Noticed a goodly number of road bikes using the rear mud guard/fender
> appendage (official name?) during a recent visit in the States. Is this a
> growing occurrence where you're riding? What's to account for the increased
> popularity if that's the case? Is it niche marketing for the consumer who
> can't say no? Is it efficient (cleanliness is, after all, next to godliness
> with the faith quotient in the US almighty high)? Have to wonder as I've
> yet to spot one here in the old world.

Everyone (sensible) uses them in the UK at this time of year. They add
next to no weight, a little air resistance, but they keep the bike and
the rider much cleaner. For best effect, and dry feet, the front one
needs a long mudflap that reaches to within a couple of inches of the
ground.

Racing bikes tend not to have eyes or clearance for mudguards, but some
people fit Salmon guards using P-clips.