Mud guard solution for front wheel?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by xxamr_corpxx, Feb 27, 2007.

1. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

I'm in the process of turning my Trek 370 into an all-weather commuter.

I've purchased a seatpost fender for the back but I'm not too sure what I can do for the front. It has very little clearance and downtube shifters. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone tried carrying a guitar on their bike?

Tags:

2. reallyoldpunk

reallyoldpunk New Member

A seat post fender will still leave your legs exposed to road spray (although it will cut down on the "skunk stripes" on your shorts). Planet Bike has a nice selection of full coverage fenders that could easily fulfill your needs. (Sorry do a Google search, I was too lazy to link their site.):p

3. 62vette

62vette Well-Known Member

4. reallyoldpunk

reallyoldpunk New Member

That protects your downtube but not your feet. Anytime you turn your tires will spray your feet. I still say try to find some full coverage fenders, otherwise, what's the point? Your feet and legs will still be soaked.

5. Walrus

Walrus New Member

There are front fenders that attach to various parts on the frame. Here's a Zefal option.

http://www.zefal.com/AAA/produitFrame.php?refPage=229&languePage=an

6. reallyoldpunk

reallyoldpunk New Member

Do it all the time. I use a gig bag with back pack straps. I ride really carefully though. A crash would be disastrous. :D

BTW, that Zefal fender works well on unsuspended bikes. If you have a suspension fork, cut off the front part and use a star nut and washers to hold the fender on.

7. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

I've bought a full coverage seatpost fender for the rear, but the front is still "naked".

I've considered those MTB style Zefal ones but this is a road bike I'm talking about, and it doesn't have much clearance to fit the mudguard.

8. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

Found some SKS raceblades on PBK, they supposed work for what I am doing but they don't ship to new zealand.

Now I will probably get a mudguard designed for a MTB and cut it down to size with a hacksaw.