mud, sweat & gears

Gbgbgbgb

Guest
FYI,

I just bought a silca pump from these guys (aka http://www.bikeusa.com/). The price was great BUT:
- the color was chapped the size of a quarter out of the box
- it came without a manual
- they did not answer subsequent enquiries Not sure I'll buy there again :-(

PS I then wrote to Silca and they promised to send me a manual. How nice :)

"gbgbgbgb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> FYI,
>
> I just bought a silca pump from these guys (aka http://www.bikeusa.com/). The price was great BUT:
> - the color was chapped the size of a quarter out of the box
> - it came without a manual
> - they did not answer subsequent enquiries Not sure I'll buy there again :-(

OK, I'll bite. What does "the color was chapped the size of a quarter out of the box" mean?!?

Bill "chipped???" S.

Sorni wrote:

> "gbgbgbgb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > FYI,
> >
> > I just bought a silca pump from these guys (aka http://www.bikeusa.com/). The price was
> > great BUT:
> > - the color was chapped the size of a quarter out of the box
> > - it came without a manual
> > - they did not answer subsequent enquiries Not sure I'll buy there again :-(
>
> OK, I'll bite. What does "the color was chapped the size of a quarter out of the box" mean?!?
>
> Bill "chipped???" S.

Yeah. I read that several times myself. Finally decided he meant that the pump exhibits a wear mark
the size of a quarter ... e.g. it were not brand new. IMHO someone returned the used pump, bikeusa
re-sold it to "gbgbgbgb". That could also explain why there was no manual.

Originally posted by Michael
Sorni wrote:

> "gbgbgbgb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > FYI,
> >
> > I just bought a silca pump from these guys (aka http://www.bikeusa.com/). The price was
> > great BUT:
> > - the color was chapped the size of a quarter out of the box
> > - it came without a manual
> > - they did not answer subsequent enquiries Not sure I'll buy there again :-(
>
> OK, I'll bite. What does "the color was chapped the size of a quarter out of the box" mean?!?
>
> Bill "chipped???" S.

Yeah. I read that several times myself. Finally decided he meant that the pump exhibits a wear mark
the size of a quarter ... e.g. it were not brand new. IMHO someone returned the used pump, bikeusa
re-sold it to "gbgbgbgb". That could also explain why there was no manual.

I've purchased pedals, shifters and brakes from them and been satisfied with the service. They shipped new products in boxes. They are not quite as slick as Performance or Nashbar with their order handling (no confirming emails for example) but otherwise fine. I'm surprised to read that they were un-responsive to phone calls.

Steve Shapiro

Michael wrote:

> Sorni wrote:
>
>>"gbgbgbgb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>FYI,
>>>
>>>I just bought a silca pump from these guys (aka http://www.bikeusa.com/). The price was
>>>great BUT:
>>>- the color was chapped the size of a quarter out of the box
>>>- it came without a manual
>>>- they did not answer subsequent enquiries Not sure I'll buy there again :-(
>>
>>OK, I'll bite. What does "the color was chapped the size of a quarter out of the box" mean?!?
>>
>>Bill "chipped???" S.
>

> Yeah. I read that several times myself. Finally decided he meant that the pump exhibits a wear
> mark the size of a quarter ... e.g. it were not brand new. IMHO someone returned the used pump,
> bikeusa re-sold it to "gbgbgbgb". That could also explain why there was no manual.

I had good experences with them in the past but I noticed a few months ago on their web site that
the owner had put the "Content of entire store and the web site" up for sale. Could it be that they
are selling the remaining "as is".

GH

Wow, Didn't see this evolivg to a thread. So...
a. Yeah, I guess I meant chipped. There was a patch of uneven black color at the base and when I
touched it, it peeled off showing the metal underneath. (hope it wont rust in years to come :(
b. I also suspect I didn't quite get a new pump altogether, but then Silca is supposed to last a
life time, I hope... and i dont have the energy to do returns and get another one.
c. I ordered from these guys in the first place because I saw good reviews about them.
d. Matter of fact: chipped color, transparent plastic bag with pump inside (no original cardboard
box or anything, just a side sticker showing barcode, model and price). And in fact some rubbish
(eg, empty box of cigarrettes). no manual.
e. But to be honest - they didnt respond to e-mail. I didnt call them. Maybe I should have.

Main reason I posted in the first place is to balance those older reviews. My experience is about 2
weeks old.

Originally posted by Gbgbgbgb
[...]

I'm sorry to hear this, but it is good to know about. My last dealing with them was only a month or so ago. My order arrived complete with manuals and in an original inner box (no decorations.) But, in view of the above, I'll certainly call and ask about what I'm getting before ordering from them.

Steve Shapiro [email protected]

Steve Shapiro wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > Sorni wrote:
> > >
> > > "gbgbgbgb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:7cd39119.031020-
> > > [email protected]:7cd39119.0310201856.1465f11a@pos- ting.google.com...

> > > OK, I'll bite. What does "the color was chapped the size of a quarter out of the box"
> > > mean?!?
> > >
> > > Bill "chipped???" S.
> > Yeah. I read that several times myself. Finally decided he meant that the pump exhibits a wear
> > mark the size of a quarter ... e.g. it were not brand new. IMHO someone returned the used
> > pump, bikeusa re-sold it to "gbgbgbgb". That could also explain why there was no manual.
>

> I've purchased pedals, shifters and brakes from them and been satisfied with the service. They
> shipped new products in boxes. They are not quite as slick as Performance or Nashbar with their
> order handling (no confirming emails for example) but otherwise fine. I'm surprised to read that
> they were un-responsive to phone calls.
>
> Steve Shapiro

I can confirm that communication with them be it by email or telephone is in my experience an often
hit or miss proposition. They won't rip you off, but you'll never know if they got the message or
not unless you call on the telephone. Even then they may not pick up the phone.

Kenny Lee

--
Delete "nomospam" from the return address in your reply.

Originally posted by Kenny Lee
Steve Shapiro wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > Sorni wrote:
> > >
> > > "gbgbgbgb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:7cd39119.031020-
> > > [email protected]ews:7cd39119.0310201856.1465f11a@pos- ting.google.com...

> > > OK, I'll bite. What does "the color was chapped the size of a quarter out of the box"
> > > mean?!?
> > >
> > > Bill "chipped???" S.
> > Yeah. I read that several times myself. Finally decided he meant that the pump exhibits a wear
> > mark the size of a quarter ... e.g. it were not brand new. IMHO someone returned the used
> > pump, bikeusa re-sold it to "gbgbgbgb". That could also explain why there was no manual.
>

> I've purchased pedals, shifters and brakes from them and been satisfied with the service. They
> shipped new products in boxes. They are not quite as slick as Performance or Nashbar with their
> order handling (no confirming emails for example) but otherwise fine. I'm surprised to read that
> they were un-responsive to phone calls.
>
> Steve Shapiro

I can confirm that communication with them be it by email or telephone is in my experience an often
hit or miss proposition. They won't rip you off, but you'll never know if they got the message or
not unless you call on the telephone. Even then they may not pick up the phone.

Kenny Lee

--
Delete "nomospam" from the return address in your reply.

I haven't ordered, in part because likewise they haven't returned emails on availability of sister parts to components they have on their website. LBS can't get thoses parts, and LBS suggested Mud, Sweat, & Gears might be more prone to answer questions on phone.