Mud

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Destroy, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Destroy

    Destroy Guest

    Who invented this stuff anyway? Sure wasn't a mtn bike owner I wouldn't think. Certainly makes for
    twitchy, slippery and unstable going. Not to mention rutting up the trail some.

    Is it wrong to feel guilty of biking in this stuff as far as trail damage is concerned?

    Suppose I could have bailed and headed home but damn it, it was nice and sunny and warm today, just
    had to get a ride in.

    Tags:

  2. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Destroy murmured while asleep:
    > Who invented this stuff anyway? Sure wasn't a mtn bike owner I wouldn't think. Certainly makes for
    > twitchy, slippery and unstable going. Not to mention rutting up the trail some.
    >
    > Is it wrong to feel guilty of biking in this stuff as far as trail damage is concerned?
    >
    > Suppose I could have bailed and headed home but damn it, it was nice and sunny and warm today,
    > just had to get a ride in.

    I was thinking a cold mud ride might be just the ticket this week. Our 15" of snow melted, it's in
    the 40's in the sun...In my area I don't worry about trail damage as we have very fast draining
    sandy soil. In some areas it's a real concern tho.

    Penny

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Who invented this stuff anyway? Sure wasn't a mtn bike owner I wouldn't think. Certainly makes for
    > twitchy, slippery and unstable going.

    If it were clean and easy, roadies would be riding on trails. Dig the dirt.

    >Not to mention rutting up the trail some.

    Do mention it.

    > Is it wrong to feel guilty of biking in this stuff as far as trail damage is concerned?

    Usually, like 99% of the time, yes. If you have low-level trails that hold water, or very tight
    soil, rutting could kill a trail system (everyone say "Patapsco" with me). If you feel your trails
    can take it, and you must ride in super slop, for Dog's sake stay ON THE TRAIL, don't widen things.

    > Suppose I could have bailed and headed home but damn it, it was nice and sunny and warm today,
    > just had to get a ride in.

    Word. Hear that.

    Chris