Muddy clippless

SilentGTboy

Mar 29, 2004
I've been loving my clipless an I finally took then through some serious off-roading after it just finished raining. The pedals would get coated with clay making it rather difficult to clip in. Only twice though my pedals did hold my hostage to the bike when I didn't want to be. They had a deathgrip on my shoe and just wouldn't let go. I'm looking into egg beaters but for now, what should I do?

Don't bike in mud. It's not good for the terrain anyway.

I've been stuck in pedals too from mud getting stuck in there (didn't have good mtb pedals). I now have better pedals, but haven't been off roading in over a year--it was very rainy last year. So I don't know if the "mud-shedding design" of the new pedals is better.

I don't know if others agree, but I always kicked off the excess mud and dirt before I tried to clip back in. Unfortunately, one time, I lost some hardware (tightening screw).

Also, bike with a friend who doesn't get stuck in pedals; he/she can then kick your pedals under your feet (when you're on your side on the ground) to get them unstuck.

Thanks, It's private property where I was trailing and it's mainly used by for wheelers and dirtbikes. Fun little place. It's just the clay in the pedals was terrible. I was watering the pedals while I was on the trail but that didn't help much. I found that if you put your foot on the pedal and pretend to clip out over and over you can clip in.

*moderator psychic mode on*

you own a set of shimano spd pedals

general consensus is that they stink in mud and that Tme and crank brothers pedals are much better in mud

buy some time ATACs or eggbeaters and you will be fine

Originally posted by SilentGTboy
I've been loving my clipless an I finally took then through some serious off-roading after it just finished raining. The pedals would get coated with clay making it rather difficult to clip in. Only twice though my pedals did hold my hostage to the bike when I didn't want to be. They had a deathgrip on my shoe and just wouldn't let go. I'm looking into egg beaters but for now, what should I do?

I've been breaking in some Crank Bros Mallet C pedals for a bit and neither the muck or mud of western Oregon, in winter or spring, has been able to cause an issue with the pedals. I quit riding spd (shimano junk) when we moved here several years ago and didn't feel it was worth going back to clip-ins until I tried the Mallets. They are the same (of course) mechanism as the other Crank Bros. offerings. Enjoy the riding and give the Crank Bro a try although my bro used to ride the ATACS and loved them so...

Have fun!

K.

I second the Time ATAC suggestion. I bought them for a road bike, tried them on my mountain bike, and ended up buying another set!

The egg beaters just didn't seem right to me for some reason. I'm sure it's just a personal issue, but I never could adjust to them.