Mudguard dilemma!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bbdp, Jan 30, 2010.

1. bbdp

bbdp New Member

Hi

Looking for a little advice from anyone who might own the same (or similar) bike.
    I have a Ridgeback Switch Nemesis and i need so full length mudguards to avoid getting soaked every time i go out in the rain.

Only problem is that the frame doesnt have the required holes to attach normal mudguard sets on the rear...holes are in the normal place on the front but not on the rear?! Strange!

So what should i get? Dont want to have to fabricate anything and its got to look good once installed so i dont want anything too cumbersome.

Help!

Tags:

2. randochap

randochap New Member

Not familiar with that particular bike. Are you saying the bike doesn't have eyelets at the dropouts?

If the bike has enough clearance at the brake bridge and under the brakes, you should be able to jury rig something. Zip-ties are your friend.

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

You can attach the struts to P-clamps that you attach on the rear seat stays (presumably, near the dropouts).

If you can't find any P-clamps which are small enough, then go to a "hobby" shop and buy brass strip (1cm or ~3/8" wide should do it ... wider if you prefer) & fabricate your own (yes, anyone can do this ... it only requires a drill bit that matches the bolts + a flat file to "clean" the edge of the brass strip + a pair of pliers to "pinch" the clamp into shape -- leave the brass "naked" or paint it to match-or-complement the frame) ...

A scrap of inner tube between (i.e., "inside") the P-clamp & the seat stay will keep it from slipping ... bend the DIY P-clamp around whatever (if any) inner tube you may choose if you don't want to attach the P-clamp directly to the stay.

4. bbdp

bbdp New Member

Basically yes...eyelets at the front dropout but not at the rear

How do i zip tie the struts to the frame?