Mudguard? (MTB with dual crown forks)

I'm having trouble finding a front mudguard that would fit my bike, and
wondered if anyone could recommend one.

There's a photo of a similar bike at:
http://ridgeedge.hostexcellence.com/catalog/images/corona-main.jpg (19"
frame, 26" wheel)

The problem is that the frame is an odd shape for a frame-mounted
mudguard, and the lower crown on the dual crown forks is so high that a
crown-mounted mudguard would probably interfere with steering, and only
offer minimal protection.

Are there any other types of attachment? For example, one that would
fit where a front reflector normally does?

Thanks,

Bob

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm having trouble finding a front mudguard that would fit my bike,
> and wondered if anyone could recommend one.
>
> There's a photo of a similar bike at:
> http://ridgeedge.hostexcellence.com/catalog/images/corona-main.jpg
> (19" frame, 26" wheel)
>
> The problem is that the frame is an odd shape for a frame-mounted
> mudguard, and the lower crown on the dual crown forks is so high that
> a crown-mounted mudguard would probably interfere with steering, and
> only offer minimal protection.
>
> Are there any other types of attachment? For example, one that would
> fit where a front reflector normally does?

Mine has an ordinary SKS guard attached with zip ties to the lower
extremities of the forks and the reflector mounting hole. Doesn't have huge
tyre clearance, mind, but as it doesn't venture anywhere terribly muddy,
this is not really an issue.

--
Dave Larrington
Odd, is it not, how all roads lead inexorably to David Icke?

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>typed

> Mine has an ordinary SKS guard attached with zip ties to the lower
> extremities of the forks and the reflector mounting hole. Doesn't have huge
> tyre clearance, mind, but as it doesn't venture anywhere terribly muddy,
> this is not really an issue.

AIUI cable ties are the Audax answer to many questions, this one included...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

In article <[email protected]>
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm having trouble finding a front mudguard that would fit my bike, and
> wondered if anyone could recommend one.
>
> There's a photo of a similar bike at:
> http://ridgeedge.hostexcellence.com/catalog/images/corona-main.jpg (19"
> frame, 26" wheel)
>
> The problem is that the frame is an odd shape for a frame-mounted
> mudguard, and the lower crown on the dual crown forks is so high that a
> crown-mounted mudguard would probably interfere with steering, and only
> offer minimal protection.
>
> Are there any other types of attachment? For example, one that would
> fit where a front reflector normally does?

Ordinary mudguards with stays can probably be made to fit, but it will
require some ingenuity (i.e. making or adapting some brackets) to sort
out the actual attachment points. If your bike has V-brakes rather than
disks then that can cause additional clearance problems. You could
always use this as an excuse to buy a second bike :)

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> AIUI cable ties are the Audax answer to many questions, this one
> included...

The mudguards on my Audax steed are firmly held in place with Nice Sturdy
Hardware, but cable ties are very good for Disciplining errant lights.
After one of my EL500s escaped 100 km into the 3 Coasts due to the cheese
bit that slides onto the mount being, well, made of cheese, it was lashed
down with a cable tie and continues to stay in place to this day.

On the same ride Mr Hurt was overjoyed to be able to bag a nice big one from
the middle of the road. Advantages of recumbent trikes #7 ;-)

--
Dave Larrington
Electricity comes from other planets.

My MTB has no lugs, and cables down under the down tube. The solution
provided by Zefal who make a mudguard that fits onto an expander in the
steering tube.

See
http://www.changing-gear.com/acatalog/CG_Catalog_ATB_MTB_Mudguards_343.html

(DH-2 DOWNHILL FRONT MUDGUARD)

--
Bob C
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having trouble finding a front mudguard that would fit my bike, and
> wondered if anyone could recommend one.
>
> There's a photo of a similar bike at:
> http://ridgeedge.hostexcellence.com/catalog/images/corona-main.jpg (19"
> frame, 26" wheel)
>
> The problem is that the frame is an odd shape for a frame-mounted
> mudguard, and the lower crown on the dual crown forks is so high that a
> crown-mounted mudguard would probably interfere with steering, and only
> offer minimal protection.
>
> Are there any other types of attachment? For example, one that would
> fit where a front reflector normally does?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

In article <[email protected]>
<"Bob C" <patnbobattpg.com.au>> wrote:
> My MTB has no lugs, and cables down under the down tube. The solution
> provided by Zefal who make a mudguard that fits onto an expander in the
> steering tube.

That would sit too high for the OP, who stated "the lower crown on the
dual crown forks is so high that a crown-mounted mudguard would probably
interfere with steering, and only offer minimal protection."

In article <[email protected]>
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be getting the cable ties
> out. Although any other ideas would still be very welcome. Seems
> strange that there's not a more elegant solution.
>
> I did come across a mudguard that looked like it would fit to the
> reflector hole - but it was a narrow, quite traditional shape, so not
> really what I was looking for.

Are these not wide enough?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360010682

> I've seen a few things that fit like the DH-2. On reflection, I don't
> think they would interfere with the steering. But I'm still not sure
> they'd do that much good, being so far away from the wheel (on my
> bike).

How about these?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360013200

Thanks - the second set look like a possibility!

I thought I'd looked at Wiggle - but obviously not, as they seem to
have another set that might work too. Gonna try to find out more about
how they attach to make sure. But looks promising...

Thanks again.

Bob

In article <[email protected]>
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks - the second set look like a possibility!
>
> I thought I'd looked at Wiggle - but obviously not, as they seem to
> have another set that might work too. Gonna try to find out more about
> how they attach to make sure. But looks promising...

If you like those also look for the Zefal Mutant, which is a similar
sort of thing.

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be getting the cable ties
> out. Although any other ideas would still be very welcome. Seems
> strange that there's not a more elegant solution.

It's not strange. If you want mudguards, you don't want dual crown forks.
It's a bit like asking why it's hard to get suspension lowering kits and
underbody skirts for a landrover.

Dual crown forks are for serious downhilling, this kind of thing:
http://www.fortwilliamworldcup.co.uk/downloads/fortbillDHlong.mov

Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off.