Mudguards, lights and saddlebag

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Caher, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Caher

    Caher New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Hi all,
    Well I’ve temporarily called a truce in my big work commute as the absence of the school run mean that my 90 minute drive is now cut down to 25 mins – the ride takes 80 mins. And the heat makes things double difficult. But I will begin again and reckon when I do I’ll need mudguards for the start of the rainy season.
    So with my saddle bag and light holder and potential mudguards something has to go but which? I just don’t have the stem length to put it all on there – any suggestions?
    many thanks
    Caher.

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Caher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, Well I’ve temporarily called a truce in my big work commute as the absence of the school
    > run mean that my 90 minute drive is now cut down to 25 mins – the ride takes 80 mins. And the heat
    > makes things double difficult. But I will begin again and reckon when I do I’ll need mudguards for
    > the start of the rainy season. So with my saddle bag and light holder and potential mudguards
    > something has to go but which? I just don’t have the stem length to put it all on there – any
    > suggestions? many thanks Caher.

    Proper mudguards go nowhere near the seat post.

  3. On 5 Aug 2003 20:05:09 +0950, Caher <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi all, Well I’ve temporarily called a truce in my big work commute as the absence of the school
    >run mean that my 90 minute drive is now cut down to 25 mins – the ride takes 80 mins. And the
    >heat makes things double difficult. But I will begin again and reckon when I do I’ll need
    >mudguards for the start of the rainy season. So with my saddle bag and light holder and potential
    >mudguards something has to go but which? I just don’t have the stem length to put it all on there
    >– any suggestions? many thanks Caher.

    Sounds like you have a Crudcatcher mudguard or similar? Get some proper guards that bolt to the
    brake bridge. Even MTBs with canit/V brakes usually have a hole drilled there for mounting a
    reflector bracket.

    If not then get a road bike :)

    --
    If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit. To mail me,
    change the obvious bit to richard

  4. Jamjar

    Jamjar Guest

    You know, there are all sorts of odd cyclists about. In london there is "wheelchair man" ... not
    quite a cyclist, but he can be let off as he appears to have no legs. He wheels with fury, pissed as
    a ferret the wrong way down cambridge heath road hurling abuse at anyone who dares cross him. I
    remember I encountered him on my first day as a messenger, that was interesting (he had a few ...
    err ... words for me) I thought he was just some random nutter till I stumbled apon this:
    http://forums.upmystreet.com/cnv/topic.php3?l1=UMS110166&msgno=9120305 It appears that he has
    attracted quite a bit of interest. Not suprising really.

    --
    JamJar

    "Caher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, Well I've temporarily called a truce in my big work commute as the absence of the school
    > run mean that my 90 minute drive is now cut down to 25 mins - the ride takes 80 mins. And the heat
    > makes things double difficult. But I will begin again and reckon when I do I'll need mudguards for
    > the start of the rainy season. So with my saddle bag and light holder and potential mudguards
    > something has to go but which? I just don't have the stem length to put it all on there - any
    > suggestions? many thanks Caher.

  5. Jamjar

    Jamjar Guest

    oh DOINK ... wrong thread :/

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Caher wrote:

    > double difficult. But I will begin again and reckon when I do I=92ll ne=
    ed
    > mudguards for the start of the rainy season. So with my saddle bag and light holder and potential
    > mudguards something has to go but which? I just don=92t have the stem length to put it all on
    > there =96 any suggestions?

    Yet another vote for the Comedy Mudguards to go, to be replaced by some=20 Actual Mudguards. If you
    want the Canine's Cobblers then it's SKS, but=20 you can spend much less and still get something
    perfectly acceptable.

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Sounds like you have a Crudcatcher mudguard or similar? Get some proper guards that bolt to the
    > brake bridge.

    SKS make them in silver or black. Well worth it, and will accommodate even the fattest tyres.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  8. On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 13:10:52 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Richard Bates" <mail.sent.here.ge[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Sounds like you have a Crudcatcher mudguard or similar? Get some proper guards that bolt to the
    >> brake bridge.
    >
    >SKS make them in silver or black. Well worth it, and will accommodate even the fattest tyres.

    Guy, are you feeling ok? You didn't recommend solving the problem by going to the dark side!
    --
    If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit. To mail me,
    change the obvious bit to richard

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >SKS make them in silver or black. Well worth it, and will accommodate
    even
    > >the fattest tyres.

    > Guy, are you feeling ok? You didn't recommend solving the problem by going to the dark side!

    Obviously in the bike shop the OP will notice how much nicer the small-wheel models of the SKS
    mudguards look, and how much sleeker they are when fitted to a Proper Bike(TM)...

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  10. Caher

    Caher New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    I crud catchers were the best option as it allowed me to return my mtb back into an off road bike fairly quickly.

  11. Actual Mudguards. If you want the Canine's Cobblers

    is that awl?

  12. Caher <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all, Well I?ve temporarily called a truce in my big work commute as the absence of the school
    > run mean that my 90 minute drive is now cut down to 25 mins ? the ride takes 80 mins. And the heat
    > makes things double difficult. But I will begin again and reckon when I do I?ll need mudguards for
    > the start of the rainy season. So with my saddle bag and light holder and potential mudguards
    > something has to go but which? I just don?t have the stem length to put it all on there ? any
    > suggestions? many thanks Caher.

    Caher - some more suggestions

    Cover your saddlebag in lights

    Get a rack and use that as a mudguard, and fix your lights to it.

    I commute and occasionally race on the same bike - I find that taking my (proper) mudguards off
    takes 4 minutes, for the both of them.

    I thought the whole idea of CrudCatcher type guards was that you could leave them on the bike when
    you go off road.

    Take the saddle bag off? Dunno how big it is or what you use it for though.

    HTH SteveP