muffin recipes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mouse, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Mouse

    Mouse Guest

    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give a quick and simple recipe for carrot muffins and pumpkin
    muffins? I don't bake a lot but I want to start with different types of muffis. Thank you Leeanne

    Tags:

  2. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Mouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give a quick and simple recipe for carrot muffins and pumpkin
    > muffins? I don't bake a lot but I want to start with different types of muffis. Thank you Leeanne

    Sure:

    1/2 c. sugar 2 c. flour 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    2/2 tsp. baking soda
    3/2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. cinnamon
    4/4 tsp. cloves 2 eggs
    4 (1 1/2 oz.) jar junior carrots
    5/2 c. salad oil
    6/2 c. maple syrup

    Blend first 7 ingredients and set aside. Beat together the balance of the items listed, then add
    the dry mixture. Spoon the batter into 2 1/2-inch greased or papered muffin tins filling about
    1/2 full. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. (Test for doneness with toothpick). Makes
    about 18 muffins.

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Leeanne wrote:

    > I'm wondering if anyone can give a quick and simple recipe for carrot muffins and pumpkin
    > muffins?

    HASTINGS HOUSE SPICED CARROT MUFFINS 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
    3/4 cup brown sugar, packed -- (light brown sugar) 1 teaspoon baking soda
    4/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    5/2 teaspoon salt
    6/4 teaspoon nutmeg 1 pinch allspice 1 pinch ginger 1 large egg
    7/2 cup Buttermilk
    8/3 cup Vegetable oil
    9/2 teaspoon Vanilla 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots -- (about 4)
    10/2 cup Raisins or currants

    Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease 12 half-cup muffin tins. In a medium bowl whisk together
    flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, allspice and ginger. In a bowl
    whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and stir in carrot and raisins. Add egg mixture to
    flour mixture and stir batter until just combined. (Batter will be very thick). Divide batter among
    prepared tins and bake in middle of oven 15 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.

    PUMPKIN WALNUT MUFFINS 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
    11/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
    12/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk 2 large eggs 3 tablespoons unsulfured molasses 1 teaspoon vanilla 1
    cup all-purpose flour 1 cup white whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking
    powder 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    13/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    14/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    15/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    16/2 teaspoon salt
    17/4 teaspoon baking soda
    18/4 cup packed brown sugar
    19/4 cup chopped pitted dates (about 4 ounces)
    20/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (about 3 ounces)

    Preheat oven to 400° F. and grease twelve 1/2-cup muffin cups.

    Melt butter and cool slightly. In a bowl whisk together butter, pumpkin, buttermilk, eggs, molasses,
    and vanilla. Into a large bowl sift together flours, baking powder, spices, salt, and baking soda
    and whisk in brown sugar. Make a well in center of flour mixture and add pumpkin mixture, stirring
    just until combined. Stir in dates and divide batter among cups. Sprinkle walnuts evenly over batter
    in each cup and bake muffins in middle of oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until puffed and a tester comes
    out clean. Cool muffins in cups 5 minutes and turn out onto a rack. Serve muffins warm or at room
    temperature.

    Makes 12 muffins.