Mull

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve Watkin, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Also thinking of Mull, not so far to drive! What do you know?

    SW

    Tags:

  2. I've cycled on Mull twice. The first time just went from Craignure to Tobermory, straight. This was
    lovely. Tobermory is a very very pretty little town with 2 pubs, several restaurants etc. I
    continued by getting the ferry to Ardnamurchan which is very very very hilly and very pretty. The
    second time, last year I cycled to Fionnaphort and went to see Iona. There was a big bleak lovely
    climb through Glenmore and then a long descent and then a bit of up and down to Fionnaphort.
    Spectacular scenery. Iona is gorgeous for its views of surrounding islands etc. Fionnaphort harbour
    is lovely. Then I retraced my steps, or pedal strokes if you're pedantic (pedaltic!!) and went over
    the mountain to Loch na Keal. This was not difficult.

    WHAT A ROAD. The road on the far side as far as the fork for Salen is the finest road I've ever been
    on in 40 bike tours. I saw it in misty windy weather and I was metaphorically blown away. I then
    turned left in the direction of Ulva. At the bend of this road there was a massive view. Worth
    getting off the bike to go to cliff edge. From Achleck I went around the coast. This became savagely
    difficult. I talking bits of 20% here. Clagary bay was lovely. Hilly and hard all way to Tobermory.

    There you have Mull.

  3. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Any midges in early Sep?

    SW

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've cycled on Mull twice. The first time just went from Craignure to Tobermory, straight. This
    > was lovely. Tobermory is a very very pretty little town with 2 pubs, several restaurants etc. I
    > continued by getting the ferry to Ardnamurchan which is very very very hilly and very pretty. The
    > second time, last year I cycled to Fionnaphort and went to see Iona. There was a big bleak lovely
    > climb through Glenmore and then a long
    descent
    > and then a bit of up and down to Fionnaphort. Spectacular scenery. Iona is gorgeous for its views
    > of surrounding islands etc. Fionnaphort harbour is lovely. Then I retraced my steps, or pedal
    > strokes if you're pedantic (pedaltic!!) and went over the mountain to Loch na Keal. This was not
    > difficult.
    >
    > WHAT A ROAD. The road on the far side as far as the fork for Salen is the finest road I've ever
    > been on in 40 bike tours. I saw it in misty windy weather and I was metaphorically blown away. I
    > then turned left in the direction of Ulva. At the bend of this road there was a massive view.
    Worth
    > getting off the bike to go to cliff edge. From Achleck I went around the coast. This became
    > savagely difficult. I talking bits of 20% here. Clagary bay was lovely. Hilly and hard all way to
    > Tobermory.
    >
    > There you have Mull.

  4. I was there in late Sept. and had no midges, but it was windy or sunny and they don't do that. I
    brought a midge net but did not have to use it, but I don't camp.

  5. W K

    W K Guest

    "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Also thinking of Mull, not so far to drive! What do you know?

    You can get to the uists etc. straight from oban. Its a 2-3 day trip to get back to oban from Uig
    (N. Skye). [can be done via Mull].

    You might run out of "Mull" after a few days depending on your distance. But - you could go up to
    the mainland north of mull. Interesting and undervisited.

    Oh. September in scotland is mad mad wasp time. Do you like to eat fruit outside your tent?

  6. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Steve Watkin <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Also thinking of Mull, not so far to drive! What do you know?

    Lovely place. If you like walking then it's worth taking the time to walk up Ben More as well. The
    view from the top on a good day is breathtaking.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune [email protected]

    At home and on the phone.....

  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I cycled to Tobermory too, 11 miles on the map, 16 on the speedo ! Bloody hell, those Scottish miles
    are something !

    Beautiful mind.