Multi-purpose cycling shoes for travelling?

b1_

Mar 28, 2004
I'm going over seas on a big 1 month, round-the-country cycle tour. I would prefer to take just one pair of shoes so I can minimize weight. Is there a cycling shoe that would fit the bill? I need to be able to clip into my pedals and also wear the shoes for some mild hiking when the urge takes me.

I've been looking at the Shimano MT31s. Does anyone own this shoe and can tell me if they would be suitable?

I already own some Shimano MT41s and have found that there is a risk of rolling your ankle when walking because the sole is narrow and high off the ground. Also, they are not waterproof in the least.

If there is a better multi-purpose cycling/hiking shoe out there post it please.

b1_ said:
I'm going over seas on a big 1 month, round-the-country cycle tour. I would prefer to take just one pair of shoes so I can minimize weight. Is there a cycling shoe that would fit the bill? I need to be able to clip into my pedals and also wear the shoes for some mild hiking when the urge takes me.

I've been looking at the Shimano MT31s. Does anyone own this shoe and can tell me if they would be suitable?

I already own some Shimano MT41s and have found that there is a risk of rolling your ankle when walking because the sole is narrow and high off the ground. Also, they are not waterproof in the least.

If there is a better multi-purpose cycling/hiking shoe out there post it please.
I was going to suggest Shimano's MT30 (well, the MT31 is obviously the more recent version); but, if you're worried about ankle support, it may not be adequate.

ANOTHER option, which you may not find satisfactory, would be to wear some mid-weight "hiking boots" ... way-back-when, I found out that my at-the-ankle high, mid-weight hiking boots FIT PERFECTLY in my used-to-be-one-size-too-large Cristophe toe clips ... BUT, pedaling with an at-the-ankle high boot (hey, my original made-in-England soccer "boots" had sides that were that tall) may-or-may-not be comfortable for long hours of riding.

As far as waterproofing, you can try using some DIY spray-on ScotchGuard (you need to do this "outside" or in a well ventilated space) ... OR, Neoprene booties (you'll need them to be at least ONE SIZE larger than you would normally buy ... e.g., if you wear a 43-45, you'll need booties for at least a 46-48, or larger, shoe because they are sized for ROAD shoes & MTB shoes are "bigger") for when you're riding & "regular" gaiters for when you're hiking over plastic grocery bags (which will shred) that you tape onto the shoe.

Don't forget to size the shoes for your "hiking"/walk-about socks.

Toe clips are the way to go here; Just wear whatever shoes are best for walking/hiking.