Multi-Sport GPS?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by miketk949, Dec 31, 2007.

1. miketk949

miketk949 New Member

There are sport specific GPS units for skiing, golf, and cycling (e.g., Garmin Edge 305/705). All must have the basic GPS receiver and display software, but they are specific to a single sport. Does anyone offer a GPS unit and/or software that would allow a single unit to transition between sports applications?

Tags:

2. sgtpepper64

sgtpepper64 New Member

I thought there was a Garmin that I saw on their site that did that.
    Is the Forerunner series like what you're looking for?

3. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

My Edge 305 does a lot of sports: biking, running, and really any sport you want to keep track of heart rate, speed, altitude, location and a myriad of other functions I'll never use. I've even used it to locate my stranded partner with my car.What features were you looking to for?

4. miketk949

miketk949 New Member

Ideally, it would map the roads when I'm riding, show the trail map and location when I'm skiing, and show the holes / hazards when I golf. Each of these functions is available in a dedicated GPS unit - my guess is that a software patch would allow any mapping GPS unti to do this, but I haven't seen anyone selling this capability......the Edge 705 seems to cover the biking part, but for that money it would be nice to use it for other sports as well.

5. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

Might be an opportunity to email Garmin. They always like good ideas:).