Multi-use pedals

Myosmith

Apr 27, 2011
I have been riding flat pedals but have purchased a used road bike (no pedals) and am considering upgrading my hybrid as well. I do a lot of recreational/fitness riding but have also started group rides and some medium length charity rides (50-100 miles). I like the idea of clipping in on long stretches of road, but don't want to lose the ability to just jump on the bike in whatever shoes I'm wearing for a short ride to the store or cruise around town with my wife and/or daughter.

I'm thinking about dual sided pedals like Shimano A530s with a recessed clip MTB shoe so that I can walk comfortably in them at rest stops or during breaks in a day of leisurely cycling in one of the many state parks in the area. While I don't mind light weight, it is a secondary concern as I'm not a competitive rider and neither of my bikes are featherweights.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't give weight a second thought. If you want such pedals, get them. It sounds like those pedals will suit your specified needs. At worst, you can use them, and if you find they don't suit you, you can sell 'em on eFlay. Shimano doesn't make any really bad products.

I have a pair of those on my cyclocross/commuter bike and also agree that they work well.

I have a set on my commuter / tour bike as well. They are nashbar branded (probably wellgo), but they look identical and work great.