Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS): The Afflicted

Ilena

Guest
http://allergies.about.com/cs/mcs/a/aa012599.htm

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS): The Afflicted

EXCERPT Those most likely to be associated with MCS are industrial workers, "sick building"
occupants, those living in chemically contaminated communities, Gulf War veterans, and women with
silicone breast implants.

NOTE FROM Ilena ... For years, the Quack / Junk Science Shills have been lying for their funders,
the Chemical Cartel ... even going to the depths of demanding that those find doctors and scientists
trying to find the causes-cures have their licenses removed.

Head Quack Stephen Barrett has been paid by write about this and spread this disinformation. More on
this later in this thread.

People With Allergies Are More Susceptible to Chemicals Those who are afflicted with Multiple
Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) suffer from a multitude of ailments, that have very real consequences.

MCS is a worldwide illness that can affect anyone, and most who suffer from this disorder were
healthy before becoming ill. Some believe that children, the elderly, and people with allergic
illnesses seem to be more susceptible to chemicals than the average person. Some people can be
genetically susceptible also.

More women than men are affected by this illness. It is believed that since men produce
Testosterone, it often covers up the symptoms and warning signs until it is too late. Women produce
Estrogen which does not cover up the symptoms.

There is also the theory that because women use more toxic products from cosmetics to household
cleaners than men, they are more susceptible.

Those most likely to be associated with MCS are industrial workers, "sick building" occupants,
those living in chemically contaminated communities, Gulf War veterans, and women with silicone
breast implants.

Half of those with MCS also suffer with traditional (IgE) allergies, in other words, they can also
be susceptible to food, mold, or dust allergies.

Causes & Triggers Clinical Ecologists believe that repeated small exposures or one large high
exposure to chemical agents over time can lead to the body losing its ability to detox. This can
sensitize people and cause their immune systems to malfunction. Once the body's ability to
process toxins is damaged, the person may be more susceptible to chemicals that never caused a
problem before.

The body's detox processes can be impaired by other means besides chemical agents. Some other causes
of MCS include viruses, severe emotional or physical trauma (especially in childhood), liver damage,
or metabolism disorders. Some people with MCS may have a genetic disorder of the enzyme pathways
(porphyria), which may not manifest until triggered by a chemical exposure.

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity can be triggered by a multitude of chemicals. Mostly petrochemicals,
they can be found in pesticides, herbicides, perfumes, fragrances, paints, wood treatments, glues,
carpets, furniture, shampoo, soap, detergents, cleaners, plastics, solvents, markers, raw fuels,
engine exhaust, alcohol, medications, caffeine and food additives to name a few. Pollution can also
play a part in this disorder.

Symptoms The symptoms of MCS can be similar to those of traditional allergies, such as headaches,
migraines, dizziness, nausea, anaphylactic shock, breathing difficulty, rashes and other skin
eruptions. Of course, there can be other symptoms such as acute abdominal pain, prolonged fatigue,
insomnia, neurological signs, loss of concentration, memory loss, body aches and pains, and even
progressive coordination impairment. Keep in mind this is not an all inclusive list.

Treatment Multiple Chemical Sensitivity is difficult for physicians to diagnose because there is no
single set of symptoms which fit together as a syndrome. There is also not one diagnostic test that
will detect every manifestation of the disorder.

Physicians must become detectives to sort out a patient's medical history and pay attention to the
patient's environmental or occupational exposures in order to correctly diagnose MCS.

As with allergies, avoidance is the key in treating MCS. As with its symptoms, treatment varies with
the individual afflicted.

It may be helpful to use an air purifying system. The American Environmental Health Foundation
suggests the food you eat, and the personal care products you use may contain offensive chemicals.
Be careful what you purchase and read the labels.

For additional information on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, please refer to the collected
Internet links.

~ Judy Tidwell

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org

Nana Weedkiller

Guest
"Ilena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://allergies.about.com/cs/mcs/a/aa012599.htm
[...]
> NOTE FROM Ilena ... For years, the Quack / Junk Science Shills have been lying for their funders,
> the Chemical Cartel ... even going to the depths of demanding that those find doctors and
> scientists trying to find the causes-cures have their licenses removed.
>
> Head Quack Stephen Barrett has been paid by write about this and spread this disinformation. More
> on this later in this thread.
------

Note from Nana...For years, the Quackboosters/Junk Science Flacks have been lying for their
funders,,,spreading misinformation and downright harmful lies. Head Quackbooster Ilena Rosenthal has
been paid to write about this and spread disinformation about a sweet wonderful man,
Dr. Stephen Barrett. Take a looksee at what this beautiful humanitarian has written about MCS.
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/mcs.html

[snip copyright violation by morally corrupt Ilena Rosenthal]

Peter Moran

Guest
> Treatment Multiple Chemical Sensitivity is difficult for physicians to diagnose because there is
> no single set of symptoms which fit together as a syndrome. There is also not one diagnostic test
> that will detect every manifestation of the disorder. Physicians must become detectives to sort
> out a patient's medical history and pay attention to the patient's environmental or occupational
> exposures in order to correctly diagnose MCS.
>
> As with allergies, avoidance is the key in treating MCS. As with its symptoms, treatment varies
> with the individual afflicted.

So you can apply it to anyone who feels they are so afflicted or who senses that there are gains to
be made from it.

The diagnosis offers no obvious treatment strategy, other than that of avoidance, which has serious
social and economic consequences for the patients and their family. Workmates and family often sense
the underlying histrionic basis to the illness and add to the patient's social isolation.

To qualify for the diagnosis patients have to allow themselves to become hypersensitive to their
perceived chemical environament, even though blinded testing has repeatedly shown that the
intolerances are spurious.

Peter Moran

Jan

Guest
>Subject: Re: Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS): The Afflicted From: "Peter Moran"
>[email protected] Date: 2/7/2004 1:36 PM Pacific Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]
>02.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.au>
>
>> Treatment Multiple Chemical Sensitivity is difficult for physicians to diagnose because there is
>> no single set of symptoms which fit together as a syndrome. There is also not one diagnostic test
>> that will detect every manifestation of the disorder. Physicians must become detectives to sort
>> out a patient's medical history and pay attention to the patient's environmental or occupational
>> exposures in order to correctly diagnose MCS.
>>
>> As with allergies, avoidance is the key in treating MCS. As with its symptoms, treatment varies
>> with the individual afflicted.
>
>So you can apply it to anyone who feels they are so afflicted or who senses that there are gains to
>be made from it.

THAT'S IT THAT'S IT!!!

>The diagnosis offers no obvious treatment strategy, other than that of avoidance, which has serious
>social and economic consequences for the patients and their family.

Conventional diagnoses.

No treatment.

>To qualify for the diagnosis patients have to allow themselves to become hypersensitive to their
>perceived chemical environament,

Yes they ALLOW themselves.

*perceived* IOWS, it is imagined!!!!!!!!!

>even though blinded testing has repeatedly shown that the intolerances are spurious.

THAT'S IT THAT'S IT.

*spurious*

MORE good reasons to turn too alternative medicine.

See a good alternative practitioner, they will not try to tell you, you are stupid, there is no such
thing as MCS, quit imagining things, quit allowing yourself to be afflicted, quit trying to get
gains from this non existent condition.

Peter Moran is well brainwashed and doesn't know *** from tat.

BARF!

Jan

Ilena

Guest
Barrett Publicist, cross dressing Coward Ted Nidiffer's quacking
omitted:

Barrett on breast implants and MCS

http://www.humanticsfoundation.com/quack-suppdeclaration.html

Plaintiff Barrett proclaims, in ¶ 26 of his declaration, "I cannot recall any instance where I have
publicly called anyone a quack." However, he maintains a website called "Quackwatch" and is often
described as a "Quackbuster."

His websites attack many reputable alternative medicine professionals (see Rosenthal Decl., ¶¶ 20-
21). A review of Barrett's Curriculum Vitae (CV) attached to his declaration indicates that he has
written, co-authored, or edited 21 publications with the word Quack or Quackery in the titles. As
recently as April 2001, he was featured in a Time Magazine article entitled "The Man Who Loves To
Bust Quacks." (See Rosenthal Decl., Exhibit U.)

I believe that a review of Barrett's and Polevoy's websites also illustrates that they publish their
opinions and conclusions on medical issues as "facts" concerning on-going medical controversies such
as Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), an illness that devastates the health of a high number of
women with breast implants. As explained in my original declaration, ¶16, Barrett prematurely and,
in my opinion, inaccurately, concludes "‘Multiple chemical sensitivity' is not a legitimate
diagnosis." (Rosenthal Decl., Exhibit J, p. 6.)

I was shocked that Barrett wrote of the clinical ecologists who believe in MCS, "most of them should
have their licenses revoked." (See Ex. I to my original declaration.)

I believe that if Barrett's position becomes accepted by the mainstream medical community, it would
not only hinder women who are impacted by the effects of this debilitating illness from getting the
help they need, it would also aid in the defense of the silicone manufacturers in the billion dollar
lawsuits against them that continue today.

Plaintiffs claim that my statements about them are not related to breast implant issues.
(Opposition, 2:2-6). Barrett, in ¶15 of his declaration, also declares, "I do not have a ‘highly
publicized viewpoint on the subject of breast implants'" and then states, "Nor have I been involved
in any public controversy about them." However, page 21 of the 24-page report on "Multiple Chemical
Sensitivity"
(MCS), edited by Barrett, and widely disseminated by the American Council on Science and Health
(ACSH), states "If the medical community accepts the diagnosis and theory of MCS, a wide range
of industries could be seriously affected," and then lists the "silicone breast implant" makers
as number 6 of the industries seriously affected. (See Exhibit A hereto for a true copy of
excerpts of said report - opens PDF file.)

Although according to Barrett's CV his training is as a psychiatrist, a review of Barrett's
declaration and CV shows that he has been very active in putting his opinions regarding alternative
medicine into the public domain. That is his right. I strongly believe that the public should be
able to make informed decisions on health issues with as much information available as possible.
This is particularly true with controversial issues such as MCS and breast implants, where chemical
and silicone manufacturers have hired public relations firms to disseminate their viewpoints in the
media. I post other viewpoints to appropriate newsgroups, bulletin boards and list-serves, as well
as magazines and other media. At all times, plaintiffs could post their counter opinions on the
newsgroups, their websites, or any other medium readily available to them.

Barrett 1000% LOST his case to me ... and as is the Quack / Junk Science Way ... sends out Cowards
to attack those who embarass him and wages libel campaigns against them under their phoney aliases.

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org