Multiple Myeloma gene- what causes it?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Wings2291, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Wings2291

    Wings2291 Guest

    I am a senior in high school in an advanced placement biology class and we have been assigned to
    find a gene and learn about the proteins it makes and what it does. I have chosen the cancer
    multiple myeloma because my grandpa has it and i wanted to learn more about it. The problem is i
    don't really know what gene causes it, what protein it makes, or how many base pairs it has. If
    anyone knows anything about this it would be a great help. Thank you!

    Tags:

  2. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Wings,

    No one knows for sure. There have been several genes identified as causal for MM, and not all have
    been identified. You can find some interesting papers at http://myeloma.med.cornell.edu/. Also,
    try a search at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=search&db=PubMed on "Myeloma"
    and "gene".

    Larry