Multiple Power Q's Regarding Kilo/Elevation

joemw

Jan 12, 2006
A friend ;) of mine says he did 775 watts for one minute about 9 months ago. At the time, his FTP was approximately 315-325, and is now about 60 watts higher. I've seen estimations that 1 minute power is approximately 50% aerobic, 40% anaerobic, and 10% alactic. With that information, and assuming equal anaerobic/alactic capacity and freshness, would you feel comfortable extrapolating that his one minute power has likely gone up 60 watts. You wouldn't have to state that in front of a scientific community, maybe just chatter around some beers after riding the track Friday night. Is it at least reasonable?

Further, if one travels to, oh, say Bolivia, and wants to do a race at 11,000' can one minute power again be approximated? If the ratio, again, is 50% aerobic, 40% anaerobic, 10% alactic, and aerobic power drops off 16-20% at 11,000, can we assume one minute power only drops off to the extent that aerobic power is comprimised? For instance, using the one minute power of my friend from February (320 x .8 + 455 = 711)?

joemw said:
A friend ;) of mine says he did 775 watts for one minute about 9 months ago. At the time, his FTP was approximately 315-325, and is now about 60 watts higher. I've seen estimations that 1 minute power is approximately 50% aerobic, 40% anaerobic, and 10% alactic. With that information, and assuming equal anaerobic/alactic capacity and freshness, would you feel comfortable extrapolating that his one minute power has likely gone up 60 watts. You wouldn't have to state that in front of a scientific community, maybe just chatter around some beers after riding the track Friday night. Is it at least reasonable?

Further, if one travels to, oh, say Bolivia, and wants to do a race at 11,000' can one minute power again be approximated? If the ratio, again, is 50% aerobic, 40% anaerobic, 10% alactic, and aerobic power drops off 16-20% at 11,000, can we assume one minute power only drops off to the extent that aerobic power is comprimised? For instance, using the one minute power of my friend from February (320 x .8 + 455 = 711)?

I'd vote no on the first, but yes on the second, with the difference being that functional threshold power and VO2max aren't the same thing. (Also, a 1 min effort would, on average, probably be closer to 60% anaerobic, but with potentially significant differences between individual.)

acoggan said:
I'd vote no on the first, but yes on the second, with the difference being that functional threshold power and VO2max aren't the same thing. (Also, a 1 min effort would, on average, probably be closer to 60% anaerobic, but with potentially significant differences between individual.)
By pointing out VO2max and FTP aren't the same thing, are you saying that in the general population a maximal effort over one minute comes 60% anaerobically, (maybe)30% from VO2max, and (maybe)10% from the alactic system? Or were you getting at something entirely different?

Possibly it would be better to ask how much you think 1min power would increase if VO2max increased by 60 watts, and all other systems remained unchanged.

I know the best way to tell is to simply do an all-out minute, but as far as I know the only way to truly do that is in competition, or with a gun to one's head, and neither are likely to present themselves within the next several weeks.