Multiple Rides before download from Powertap SL

lloydao

Apr 22, 2006
Can someone with experience with the Powertap SL explain how to tell the Powertap that I am starting a new ride? It seems to me that if I don't clear the head unit (erasing all ride data) that each new ride I take just adds to the existing ride data. So, if I ride 50 miles on Saturday and 60 miles on Sunday it shows as one 110 mile ride on the next download. I don't want to have to download each time I ride but I will if I have to. Does anyone have any experience in using the Powertap that they can share?

lloydao said:
Can someone with experience with the Powertap SL explain how to tell the Powertap that I am starting a new ride? It seems to me that if I don't clear the head unit (erasing all ride data) that each new ride I take just adds to the existing ride data. So, if I ride 50 miles on Saturday and 60 miles on Sunday it shows as one 110 mile ride on the next download. I don't want to have to download each time I ride but I will if I have to. Does anyone have any experience in using the Powertap that they can share?

just set an interval for that day and when you download it cyclingpeaks will split the rides up into different days.

mr_mojo said:
just set an interval for that day and when you download it cyclingpeaks will split the rides up into different days.
Right. I'll try that...but I am using the Powertap Agent (that came with the unit) and not cyclingpeaks. Do you think your suggestion would work with the Powertap Agent?

In one of the setup screens there is a time setting where you specify the length of time before the computer begins a new ride, I have mine set a 1/2 hour - that way if I stop for some reason it will continue the ride or if I ride in teh morning and again in the afternoon it will be 2 different rides. While you are riding it will still show a combined total time, distance etc. but when you download it will break it up into seperate rides. To avoid the mis information while riding just use the interval feature

rbtmcardle said:
In one of the setup screens there is a time setting where you specify the length of time before the computer begins a new ride, I have mine set a 1/2 hour - that way if I stop for some reason it will continue the ride or if I ride in teh morning and again in the afternoon it will be 2 different rides. While you are riding it will still show a combined total time, distance etc. but when you download it will break it up into seperate rides. To avoid the mis information while riding just use the interval feature
Thanks ;)

mr_mojo said:
While the OP doesn't use CP, thought I'd note that CP doesn't need an interval marker to recognise different rides (i.e. those separated by the user specified time gap mentioned in another post). But setting an interval marker will allow you to view on the PT Pro CPU the ride details for that ride only, which is very handy.

Hi

rbtmcardle said:
Just been doing a trawl to try to answer my previous question and I found the above. I'm using a P/T SL 2.4 and I can't see this option in the setups anywhere, has it been removed? :(

PB

Porkyboy said:
Hi

Just been doing a trawl to try to answer my previous question and I found the above. I'm using a P/T SL 2.4 and I can't see this option in the setups anywhere, has it been removed? :(

PB
AFAIK it never existed on the Pro model CPUs.

Hi Alex

Alex Simmons said:
AFAIK it never existed on the Pro model CPUs.
Great, at least I know I'm not going bonkers then, I guess we'll call that an upgrade? :confused:

Thanks.

PB

rbtmcardle said:
Where did you find this setting? I cannot find it in the manual or on my any cpus.

Also, there is a #7 in the Test mode on the new 2.4 cpu that is not in the manual. It says radio, rad 10 or something like that. Anyone know what it does? - TF

Terry Ferguson said:
Where did you find this setting? I cannot find it in the manual or on my any cpus.

Also, there is a #7 in the Test mode on the new 2.4 cpu that is not in the manual. It says radio, rad 10 or something like that. Anyone know what it does? - TF
That's the "Good times and great rock 'n' roll" setting :D

Terry Ferguson said:
rbtmcardle must have been referring to the "Sleep" setting which can be found in Setup Menu 4. But this setting only allows you to specify the duration of inactivity before the CPU shuts off (to conserve battery).

As far as the CPU is concerned, unless you do a "Clear", it's all one ride. But when it comes to software, both PowerAgent and CyclingPeaks will split a ride with gaps, into multiple workouts. Of course CyclingPeaks does a much better job at this; PowerAgent will split a ride even if the break was only a few seconds!