Multiple rides without downloading - To CLR or not to CLR

pelotoncamden

Dec 4, 2006
New to the PowerTap system and have a question about whether or not I need to CLR the PT computer to capture data for the next day's ride even though I haven't downloaded the previous day's data. Will this erase the day's data and not be retrieveable during the download? Or do I wake up the computer and start riding and when I get the chance to download the data, will CP separate the ride files?

Thanks!

pelotoncamden said:
New to the PowerTap system and have a question about whether or not I need to CLR the PT computer to capture data for the next day's ride even though I haven't downloaded the previous day's data. Will this erase the day's data and not be retrieveable during the download? Or do I wake up the computer and start riding and when I get the chance to download the data, will CP separate the ride files?

Thanks!
Cycling Peaks will recognise them as different ride files on different days. In fact if you have a stopped for a couple of hours, it will split those files as well. I forget what the minimum duration stop is when CP splits files.

I took me a while to figure this out. Don't clear or you'll lose the data if you haven't downloaded. The unit will turn itself off after the end of the first ride and pick back up mileage wise when you start again. However when you download it will separate the rides even if they are on the same days. I haven't yet figured out the minimum time required on same day rides for it to see the data as two rides yet. This works with both CP and Power agent. The next step (assigning the data to a specific day) is slightly different depending on what SW you have.Tim

Something I find useful....

If you put it into the interval display mode (hold down "mode" on the speed line) , and start a new interval when you start your next ride, you can have "trip" times, distances, averages etc. just for your current ride. (Otherwise you are stuck with cumulatives for all the rides not yet downloaded.)

JitensyaJim said:
Something I find useful....

If you put it into the interval display mode (hold down "mode" on the speed line) , and start a new interval when you start your next ride, you can have "trip" times, distances, averages etc. just for your current ride. (Otherwise you are stuck with cumulatives for all the rides not yet downloaded.)

or you can take the battery out and start again. The unit will keep all the ride data but it won't show up on the screen so you can use the interval timer as normal.

The only problem is that it resets the time and date on the PT, so you have to re-enter that if you want everything to be date stamped.