Muni article in local Spanish newspaper

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Krashin'Kenny, Mar 26, 2005.

  1. Last weekend when Drew (changingLINKS.com) came down to San Antonio for
    a Muni ride, he brought along a photo-journalist friend who did an
    article about us. Here's the condensed internet article if anybody
    capable of reading Spanish could translate it for others to read

    http://tinyurl.com/6kp8s

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  2. ProudYankee

    ProudYankee Guest

  3. julianlim

    julianlim Guest

    Here's my attempted translation.

    (Please forgive any mistakes... I'm just learning Spanish, and thought
    this was an interesting exercise. If you spot any errors or weaknesses
    in the translation, I'd be very grateful if you could point them out to
    me).

    -----

    Two Wheels Are Too Many

    Nicholas J Parkinson

    Sportspeople are abandoning the conventional bicycle for something more
    extreme.

    The unicycle no longer suffers the unjust fame of being only an
    instrument for circus acrobats.

    For a small company of sporting enthusiasts, the unicycle has been
    converted into an off-road vehicle used to challenge the human spirit.

    Over a solitary wheel these athletes balance themselves and jump from
    one rock to another, and seek to take on the most dangerous mountain
    slopes.

    San Antonio, like Austin, has a club where members gather several times
    a month to practice mountain unicycling, also known as extreme
    unicycling. In total, there are some twenty members in the club.

    The “Muni”, as the mountain unicycle is called, is equipped with a fat
    off-road tire, which can be inflated to a high or low pressure. Some
    also have a brake under the seat which helps the rider to descend steep
    mountains more carefully.

    “It takes strength, technique, and the ability to overcome fear”, says
    Drew Brown, who lives in Austin and has been a unicyclist for almost a
    year.

    “Many people associate us with extreme sports because they think we’re
    equally strange”, he quips.

    Nevertheless, most of them have left mountain biking behind. All their
    stories coincide: one day they came across an extreme unicyclist and
    became inspired to do the same.

    “I didn’t know there were people who went off-road when I bought my
    first unicycle for $70,” says Eric Lancaster, another unicyclist. “One
    day I saw a video of Kris Holm, and it was a natural progression”, he
    adds.

    The extreme pioneer.

    The Canadian Kris Holm, from Vancouver, is in large part responsible for
    the present growth that the sport enjoys. As pioneer of mountain
    unicycling, Holm has crossed the most difficult terrains in the world,
    from the volcanoes of Guatemala to the peaks of the Himalayas.

    Nowadays, the club, which receives new followers every day, tries to
    open the doors of this sport to everyone, who with $180 and 10 hours of
    patience can take the road to extreme unicycling.

    ----

    some notes on the translation:
    a) I had some trouble deciding on a good gender-neutral translation of
    "deportistas", so I went for "sportspeople" "sporting enthusiasts", and
    "athletes" at different points.
    b) I'm not sure if I translated correctly the sentence that begins,
    "Tanto San Antonio como Austin...". Any comments?
    c) ditto with "un sillín que puede o no ser inflado". Not quite sure if
    I got that right ("can be inflated to a high or low pressure")?

    - Julian

    --
    julianlim - one-eyed one-wheeler

    }--O

    julianlim AT unicyclist DOT com
    julianlim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10

  4. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    On the translation: I think the sillin is a saddle, and he's talking
    about airseats, like "saddles that can or can't be enflated"

    I think the "tanto san antonio como austin" Means " san antonio, as in
    austin, ..."

    I suck at spanish too, though.

    --
    Fuego - Unicycle Ninja

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    'OneWheelNinjaSquad' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/OneWheelNinjaSquad)
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  5. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

    Thanks for doing that, Nick. (Maybe he is reading the forum since he is
    thinking about becoming "one of us"... Or is it "us of one"?)

    I forgot to pick up a copy the day it came out. Is the print article
    the same?

    Scott

    --
    S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
    how to do it." Pablo Picasso
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

  6. onefiftyfour

    onefiftyfour Guest

  7. S_Wallis wrote:
    > *Thanks for doing that, Nick. (Maybe he is reading the forum since he
    > is thinking about becoming "one of us"... Or is it "us of one"?)
    >
    > I forgot to pick up a copy the day it came out. Is the print article
    > the same?
    >
    > Scott *

    The print article is the same, but there are more pics. If you pic up a
    "Rumbo", there is a full page article at the back of the paper in the
    "sports" section