rec.sport.unicycling archive · Public discussion

MUNI brake is a must have

Started by Fme · · Last activity · 3 posts · 490 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling archive
Published
2 April 2004
Last activity
2 April 2004
Original author
Fme
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
490
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just to share my first impressions on using brakes for
    "Muniing". My MUNI practice is something comparable to
    Enduro in Mountain biking, ie a mix of XC and technical
    riding with some rough single tracks and steep but short
    downhills (I'm not living in mountains, my usual ride is 15
    to 25 km long and 800m, 400+, 400- for the difference in
    altitude).

    I installed brakes on my KH 24 yesterday, went for a ride,
    and... I was amazed! all the downhills I used to ride seem
    suddenly almost flat with brakes, and I was able to do new
    ones that were too steep for me before. I was also less
    tired at the end of my ride. Furthermore using brakes is
    easier than I though, you just need to lean back a little
    bit more (and have easy to modulate brakes like the Magura
    I tested).

    I was a little sceptical about brakes, and now I'm
    convinced, and really impatient to go back in mountains for
    real and long downhills.

    The only drawback is that it breaks the simplicity (and
    somehow the beauty) of a unicyle.

    One final question, I saw brake level extenders on
    unicycle.com (US site only). That should be quite useful as
    braking with only the fingertip is not so easy. Do you know
    where I can find such extenders in Europe, or did somebody
    find another way to improve brake handling on a Muni?

    --
    fme
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    fme's Profile: unicyclist.com1021
    View this thread: unicyclist.com30633

  2. You're right fme!

    Installing a brake on your muni will really improve your
    DH skills.

    First of all, you can save a lot of energy when going down
    really long slopes. Constant friction on the brake pads (rim
    or disc) will reduce your legs fatigue.

    Also, it help with the constancy of the revolution in very
    steep downhills. In fact, without a brake, you grossly slow
    down only 2 times/revolution: when your left and right
    pedals are down/back. With a brake, you can also control the
    swing of the muni from side to side, so you can go to a much
    faster RPM.

    For the brake lever extender, I have the Delta's and it's
    pretty useful. If your have a problem for the disponibility,
    just design one yourself (if you don't like the forefinger
    idea, you can go with a two finger design)and make it
    produce at some machining shop. It is not gonna cost you a
    lot, and it's worth it.

    Oh and for the beauty thing, forget about it and go for the
    feeling of mad speed!

    Vince

    --
    vince_quebec - look up north
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vince_quebec's Profile: unicyclist.com5628
    View this thread: unicyclist.com30633

  3. vince_quebec said:

    *You're right fme!

    Installing a brake on your muni will really improve your
    DH skills.

    *

    Installing a brake will offer you a wider selection of down
    hills to ride on that your DH skill level currently does not
    permit, it certainly doesn't improve your skills.

    --
    Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

    'Unicycle Product Reviews'
    (brianmackenzie.comunicycleReviews.aspx) *79* reviews on
    *53* products

    'London Unicycling Club Website ' (brianmackenzie.comLUC)
    version 3.02

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sofa's Profile: unicyclist.com706
    View this thread: unicyclist.com30633

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.