Muni Questions.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Brian O., Sep 15, 2005.

  1. Brian O.

    Brian O. Guest

    I've read that some people place the tire on their muni with the tread
    facing backwards, is this common? I'm not really sure how much of a
    traction improvement this would have. Also, until I can upgrade my
    current uni, does anyone happen know if a 2.125" tire would fit on the
    Torker LX 24", if not I suppose I can just give it a shot. Thanks for
    you time, happy muni'ing everyone.

    --
    Brian O.

  2. pdc

    pdc Guest

  3. Brian O.

    Brian O. Guest

  4. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

  5. Brian O.

    Brian O. Guest

  6. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

  7. uni57

    uni57 Guest

    Brian O. wrote:
    > *I've read that some people place the tire on their muni with the
    > tread facing backwards, is this common? *

    LOL, yeah, by accident! On one MUni ride, we noticed that two out of
    the three riders had their Gazz's on backwards. None were intentional.
    I suppose that makes it an uphill tire.

    I don't know if anyone does this on purpose. I can't think of how it
    would make it better.

    --
    uni57 - David C. Lowell

    dave lowell (uni57)
    uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

  8. Brian O. wrote:
    > *Wonderful thanks for the reply. I never expected to go that wide but
    > I wonder just how wide one could go, I doubt anything above 2.3 dont
    > you? Just how knobby is your tire? *

    IMPORTANT: what LX do you have? '04 rounded frame, or '05 square
    frame?

    On the 05 you can fit a 2.3" tire pretty easy, provided its not too
    knobby. The Kenda K-rad 2.3 would be good.

    --
    forrestunifreak - A good and pleasant misery.

    If a man could second guess himself, he'd never die die by accident.

    team YAMS member

    - last edited by a dark red color on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm -

  9. Brian O.

    Brian O. Guest

  10. Brian O.

    Brian O. Guest

  11. I used it off road for two years. Worked good for me.

    What it lacks in tread it makes up for in volume. In other words, you
    could get a knobbier tire, but it wouldnt be as wide and therefore
    wouldnt grab as much, worse on drops, etc.

    So on the LX you can go for wide tire, or knobby tire, but not much on
    both at once.

    Go ahead and check out the specialized spanky tire or whatever, I'll bet
    you could fit a wider version of that.

    --
    forrestunifreak - A good and pleasant misery.

    If a man could second guess himself, he'd never die die by accident.

    team YAMS member

    - last edited by a dark red color on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm -

  12. evil-nick

    evil-nick Guest

    If I recall correctly (and I'm not promising that I do) the tire
    direction has something to do with being either the drive tire or
    steering tire... Like on a bike it would go backwards if mounted on the
    front... I don't think it would matter much on a uni... my Duro is
    mounted rotating the "correct" way and I haven't had a problem with
    it...

    --
    evil-nick - Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
    obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
    through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
    its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
    remain.

    * Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

    I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

    My gallery:
    http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
    Our Club:
    http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/
    evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

  13. I ran a high pressure Duro on very smooth cement (and sticky traction)
    and felt a significant difference.
    After flipping the tire to go "forwards", it was better.
    As for M-uni, I never felt a difference.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)