Muni trail equipment

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by jim.furfaro, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. jim.furfaro

    jim.furfaro Guest

    I have been riding my unicycle for about a year now and haven't had even
    a touch of guilt that my mountain bike is still hanging from the garage
    celling with dust on it. So I have begun going through my repair kits
    to make them muni friendly. When I would mountain bike I took
    everything I would need for a repair since a two hour ride could easily
    put me two days hike back to the car. With my unicycle I don't travel
    as far and was wondering what equipment for repairs everyone else brings
    with them, or if most just walk/jog back to the car and make the repair
    there.

    --
    jim.furfaro
    jim.furfaro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7261

  2. zod

    zod Guest

  3. markf

    markf Guest

    if you wanna be prepared, a tube/patch kit and a set of allen wrenches,
    and maybe a crank tool (depending on what kind of cranks you have)
    should be more than enough. oh and for a muni, regular mountain bike
    tire levers might not be strong enough, but flats are pretty rare.

    --
    markf - movie nerd

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  4. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    I carry a patch kit, pump, tube and a wrench(es) that fits basicly
    everything (6mm for seat clamp, allen wrench for my crank bolt for my
    Profile set-up and a 6" crescent wrench), water and a PowerBar (or some
    other energy back-up fuel source). If there is any chance of rain/foul
    weather I tote along a rain vest - more for warmth than for wet. I put
    all of this in my Camelbak "Mule."

    I would carry a 14 mm socket or specialty wrench for your crank arms if
    you have a taper crank.

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

    Tommy Thompson
    [email protected] (No PMs. please)
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    Please vist our web site:
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  5. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    I ride with a pump, 10mm socket on a socket driver, metric hex keys, a
    spare tube and tire levers. The 10mm socket is to tighten the nuts
    under the seat and bearing holders. The Hex keys are for my seatpost
    clamp. I don't carry a 14mm socket because it's heavy, so I check the
    crank nuts before the ride.

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
    'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job

  6. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Fortunately you don't get as far away from civilization in an equal
    amount of riding time to your bike. But it's still good to be prepared
    instead of having to walk out.

    Generally what I like to carry is enough tools to tighten anything tha
    can come loose on the uni, and a patch kit. That means you also need
    tire irons and a pump. I have a tiny little pump that work on Schraeder
    or Presta, so I'm well covered there.

    The actual tools I usually have on me are a Park multi-allen wrench, a
    Swiss army knife, and a stupid 5/16" allen wrench because both my Wilder
    and GB4 frames have this one set of ridiculous non-metric screws holding
    the wheel on. No proper tire irons.

    Also bring a phone if you have one. Though you might not have a signal,
    I'm always surprised at the places where I do get a signal
    (middle-of-nowhere Salmon Falls Trail) and where I don't, such as
    downtown frikkin' Moab (Nextel). Maybe they've updated their coverage
    since last year.

    My last trail ride ended with about a 4 mile walk out, carrying the
    unicycle over my shoulder. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do
    when your tire explodes, breaking the wire on the tire's bead and
    blowing a 2" hole in the tube. I still need to order a new tire!

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  7. pdc

    pdc Guest

  8. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    I keep a MUni tool kit in a Camelbak dedicated to the purpose.
    Included are

    Micro pump
    Patch kit
    Plastic tire levers
    Schrader valve tool
    10mm flex socket (fits saddle nuts) with extension and wrench
    Allen wrenches
    Philips screwdriver
    Spoke wrench
    15mm cone wrench (for emergency pedal tightening)
    14mm(?) socket (for tightening tapered crank nuts/bolts)

    The weight of the tools is 17 oz (480g).

    I don't usually carry spares (spokes, pedals, tire, tube, etc.).

    Ken

  9. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    I tend to carry what I consider to be appropriate for the ride.

    For shorter rides by myself I'll bring just the minimum which is an
    Altoids tin full of allen keys and other small tools. Just the minimum
    to tighten things that may come loose during the ride. My little kit
    also contains a spoke key and a schrader valve tool to tighten a leaky
    tire valve.

    For longer rides, or rides that take me farther from civilization, I'll
    carry more. For the longer rides I'll take the pump and patch kit, tire
    levers, and a nut driver to tighten the bolts under the seat. And a 14
    mm wrench if I'm on a unicycle with square taper cranks.

    For epic rides where I'll be out for many hours and for group rides,
    I'll take even more. On these rides I may bring along a spare tube
    along with tools that will fit other unicycles and little extras like
    spare crank nuts and a 14 mm wrench to tighten a loose crank.
    Strangely, my little tool kit gets more use on a group ride than when I
    ride by myself. It seems a lot of people on group rides don't bring
    tools with them or don't have all the tools that they need.

    I have had to walk back to the car a couple of times. Once was on a
    muni ride back when I was riding a Pashely with the standard square
    taper cranks. A crank came loose and I couldn't get it to stay tight
    even though I had a 14 mm socket wrench with me. Fortunately I was
    within a mile from the car so it wasn't too bad. Another time was when
    I broke my Profile crank during a muni ride. No trail side repair for
    that. Another time was when a sealed bearing in a pedal fell apart and
    the pedal fell off the spindle. Fortunately those failures also
    happened close to the car.

    Twice I've rolled my Coker to a bike shop to get a crank tightened (I
    didn't have my crank tools with me). That was all before I knew how to
    properly tighten the cranks. Now I know how to properly tighten the
    cranks on and I haven't had a loose crank problem since. A torque
    wrench is the key to getting the cranks properly tight.

    I've only had one flat on a unicycle ride, and that was a flat air seat
    on an epic ride. I had a patch kit and pump on that ride so it was an
    easy fix.

    Other failures during a ride have been broken spokes, but those have
    never caused any problems and I've been able to finish the ride.

    And there were two times that I broke a Miyata seat during a ride. That
    was before I switched to the carbon fiber seat base. In fact, it was
    before the carbon fiber seat bases were even available.

    The most annoying failure I've had was a pedal bearing that failed in
    the parking area right after I pulled the muni out of the car. I got
    all suited up, hopped on the muni, did a small little hop in the parking
    lot, and the pedal bearing went crunch. The ride was over before it
    even began.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  10. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *My last trail ride ended with about a 4 mile walk out, carrying the
    > unicycle over my shoulder. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do
    > when your tire explodes, breaking the wire on the tire's bead and
    > blowing a 2" hole in the tube. I still need to order a new tire! *

    Was that with the 29er?

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  11. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *Was that with the 29er? *

    Yup. Nanoraptor tire. I don't think I was riding too aggressive or
    anything, but sometimes these things can just happen. I was going down a
    litle rocky patch, and hopped over a gap and probably hit the landing
    point on the edge of some rock. BANG!! It sounded like a gunshot.
    Probably scared away all the wildlife within a quarter mile.

    Could the tire have been seated improperly? I don't think so, maybe
    slightly. But I would otherwise notice if the tire had a lump in it as
    it went around. I usually check the bead fit when I install a tire, but
    I admit on this cycle I've had to go back and forth a lot between road
    and dirt tires.

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  12. jim.furfaro

    jim.furfaro Guest

  13. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    I carry:
    3 liters of water(or less depending on distance)
    A set of spoke wrenches
    Set of metric wrenches(for saddle, and frame)
    Allen wrenches(hub, seat clamp)
    Patch Kit
    Tube
    First Aid(military issue)
    Snacks 'n' junk
    CO2 pump
    Ipod or Rio(music is a must for lone rides)
    Camera(never know when youll need one)
    Wallet with: ID, Rights, 20 bucks

    However, if I am on a shorter ride, I take out all of the
    unlikely-to-use items.

    Having a small, or larger first aid kit is a good idea. I will never
    forget the day I had to ride 2 miles after a rock gouged a 3/4 inch hole
    in my elbow.

    --
    Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

    RIP Unibiker

  14. UniBrier

    UniBrier Guest

  15. tholub

    tholub Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *Yup. Nanoraptor tire. I don't think I was riding too aggressive or
    > anything, but sometimes these things can just happen. I was going down
    > a litle rocky patch, and hopped over a gap and probably hit the
    > landing point on the edge of some rock. BANG!! It sounded like a
    > gunshot. Probably scared away all the wildlife within a quarter
    > mile.
    >
    > Could the tire have been seated improperly? I don't think so, maybe
    > slightly. But I would otherwise notice if the tire had a lump in it as
    > it went around. I usually check the bead fit when I install a tire,
    > but I admit on this cycle I've had to go back and forth a lot between
    > road and dirt tires. *

    I have had my NanoRaptor blow out twice; once while I was pumping it up,
    and once while it was sitting innocently in the auditorium where my
    bridge game is held, a good 2 hours after the game had started. (I
    still have not lived that down).

    I think the bead on that tire may not be as grabby as it should be.

    My toolkit is a ToPeak Alien combo tool, patch kit, pump, and stupid
    little allen wrench for the Profile cranks. Oh, and a spoke wrench,
    which saved my butt in Moab in 2003.

    --
    tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

  16. markf wrote:
    > *but flats are pretty rare. *

    Tell that to Ryan. he popped 2 seperate innertubes in less than 1000yds
    at moab. Then the patch came loose.

    At moab I popped 1 tube on my trials uni. I landed a gap to the sound of
    pssssss.

    I've had 2 airseats pop.

    I've had a tire bead pulled off the rim.

    I carry a few bucks, a clif bar or two, a m5 allen key, profile key
    (whatever size that is), a spoke wrench, ID, med insurance card, a small
    first aid kit (guaze, med tape), 6" crescent wrench, legal definition of
    a unicycle in SF, a small pump, and 8-20 oz of extra water for long
    rides. I used to carry an extra pedal, for when my wellgo inevitably
    broke on me. It came to good use.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Nick's main man.

    "Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
    Technique

  17. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    Those of us that ride with John Childs carry little in the way of tools.
    That is his job, and you can see from his post above he takes it
    seriously. :)

    There are a few things I always bring (aside from water).
    1) The basic allen wrenches I need for the uni I'm on. I try to always
    check my non-allen bolts, so I don't worry about bringing along a socket
    wrench.
    2) A "Crash Packs" road rash survival kit from Brave Soldier. It's
    super light weight, and has been the most used piece of equipment I
    carry...someone is always getting scraped up.
    3) A small can of Bell "Repairs Flats in Seconds!", rather than all the
    patch and pump stuff. I'm not a big jumper or gapper, so most flats I'd
    expect to get (and so far am flat-free) won't be big blowouts or tears.
    If it's a bigger puncture than "fix a flat" will fix, I don't think I'd
    want to do a trail repair anyway. I might change my mind for certain
    really long rides with no easy hike out, like a downieville or porcupine
    rim.
    4) Last--besides a $20 bill--is a card with my name address and phone
    number on it. This way, if someone finds me unconscious next to the
    trail, they'll know who I am.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  18. jagur

    jagur Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *Yup. Nanoraptor tire. *

    thats why Rockville sucked for me on 03'....i was worried about that
    very thing happening on the 1st days ride of the event so i treaded very
    lightly.

    what sucks is a 29er tyre with a ticker side wall will most likly never
    happen since they are made for bykes and the industry is bent on the
    "light weight" selling point.

    --
    jagur - Total Gimp

    obie is an awesome guy and i cant make football pic's
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  19. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    There's also the issue of what you carry all that stuff in. I use a
    Camelback that is also a small day pack (don't know the model
    name--there are a dozen) with a few pockets for wrenches, grub, cell
    phone, et al. A low profile hydration day pack that has cinch straps so
    you can snug the thing to your body when the terrain gets
    technical--that's what most of us use in SB.

    JL:

    --
    vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  20. jim.furfaro

    jim.furfaro Guest

    > There's also the issue of what you carry all that stuff in

    I have alot of mountian biking equipment that has been realocated to
    muni including several CamelBacks. I am just trying to decide which
    equipment will be staying and what I will leave at home.

    I am planning on attending the Moab muni fest this year and look forward
    to meeting everyone.

    On a side note. I could use a little help with the forum short hand.
    What is LOL, POW, etc.

    Thanks

    --
    jim.furfaro - Rocket Scientist