Muni video - "A solo freeride expedition"...

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by andrew_carter, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. I'm running out of time before the hill right near my place that has had
    a bush fire grows back and becomes unridable, or at least so overgrown
    that I'm too scared of snakes to go up there. :) So I went out riding
    there today and may go back on thursday, although I'm thinking of
    giving the 300m long round handrail from my first big movie a go.

    I explored more of the hill today and found some fantastic lines. The
    frustrating thing is that technical stuff that you might normally be
    able to do on 'normal trails' becomes unridable when it starts and ends
    with steep rocky slopes. There's nowhere to rest. When you come off
    you just keep going and going too...check out the fast footwork on some
    of the falls down the steep slopes!

    I thought Blockhead's "The Art of Walking" was a fitting song.

    For now I'll just post an 18MB, DivX encoded version because it's late
    and I have to work early tomorrow morning. Will post a lower
    resolution one tomorrow if people want me to. Here it is...
    http://tinyurl.com/7hpf5

    Enjoy,
    Andrew

    |Filename: Compilation - A Solo Freeride Expedition.jpg |

    andrew_carter

    *http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
    unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    *'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*
    ___________
    --> '-*Listen to my jazz funk band on Last.fm*-'
    (http://www.last.fm/music/Dancing+About+Architecture) <-- :)

  2. oldfatboy

    oldfatboy Guest

  3. phil

    phil Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > I'm running out of time before the hill right near my place that has had
    > a bush fire grows back and becomes unridable, or at least so overgrown
    > that I'm too scared of snakes to go up there. :)

    News just in! Firefighters are currently tackling a bush fire near
    Brisbane, Australia. The blaze is thought to be suspicious and police
    are searching for a man seen leaving the area with a fat-tyred
    unicycle, a petrol can and a big grin earlier today...

    I'm amazed there aren't more broken ankles from muni-ing. Hikers take
    on technical descents with sturdy boots, poles and lots of care; after
    coming off a muni you're taking on the same terrain at speed in an
    uncontrolled manner with highly inappropriate footwear! :)

    That was a very enjoyable video, thanks for posting!

    Phil

    --
    phil

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

  4. phil

    phil Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > I'm running out of time before the hill right near my place that has had
    > a bush fire grows back and becomes unridable, or at least so overgrown
    > that I'm too scared of snakes to go up there. :)

    News just in! Firefighters are currently tackling a bush fire near
    Brisbane, Australia. The blaze is thought to be suspicious and police
    are searching for a man seen leaving the area with a fat-tyred
    unicycle, a petrol can and a big grin earlier today...

    I'm amazed there aren't more broken ankles from muni-ing. Hikers take
    on technical descents with sturdy boots, poles and lots of care; after
    coming off a muni you're taking on the same terrain at speed in an
    uncontrolled manner with highly inappropriate footwear! :)

    That was a very enjoyable video, thanks for posting!

    Phil

    --
    phil

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

  5. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    What does 'lines' mean exactly?

    Everytime it's been mentioned previously I've nodded wisely to myself
    'Oh yes, trials lines, ofcourse'. But I've no idea what it means.

    Thanks,

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
    victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

    'http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk' (http://www.chuckingandtwirling.
    co.uk)

  6. Thanks. :)

    How high was that jump that you were trying?
    - I was chickening out and not jumping very far. Where I was landing
    it would have been under 6'. Where I wanted to land it would have been
    somewhere between 7' and 8', I think. I don't like risking hurting
    myself when I'm on my own, but the real reason I didn't jump out that
    far was it scared me. :)

    highly inappropriate footwear!
    - What, Dunlop Volleys inappropriate?? They do grip very well on
    rocks.

    What does 'lines' mean exactly?
    - A line is the path you choose (or don't choose sometimes!) to take
    in trials, muni, and a lot of other sports. I don't know if they use
    the word line in rock climbing, but it wouldn't surprise me. Within
    the area of the hill I was riding on there were lines -everywhere!-

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter

    *http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
    unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    *'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*
    ___________
    --> '-*Listen to my jazz funk band on Last.fm*-'
    (http://www.last.fm/music/Dancing+About+Architecture) <-- :)

  7. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    I liked the footage of you walking up the trail, then riding down the
    same sections, all to the relaxed music. It reminded me of 'Mr.
    Rogers' Neighborhood' (http://pbskids.org/rogers/), how he has his
    routine, changing his sweater and shoes at the beginning and end of
    every show. Dunno why my brain made that association...

    I think John Foss and the Santa Barbara crew are getting to me... I
    actually thought there was too much hopping in your video, although I'd
    do the same myself. What choice do you have when things are so steep
    and rocky? Ah, I'm just getting ornery 'cause I'm laid up with a
    sprained ankle...

    phil wrote:
    > I'm amazed there aren't more broken ankles from uni-ing.

    *ahem* you should be greatful, I sure am... and I thought active ankles
    were silly... I'm considering getting me a pair now.

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  8. harper

    harper Guest

    Wicked looking terrain and great music, Andrew. thanks.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  9. Thanks guys.
    maestro8 wrote:
    > I think John Foss and the Santa Barbara crew are getting to me... I
    > actually thought there was too much hopping in your video

    There was...but I'm working on it. :) I must say, I feel like I'm a
    long way off being able to ride those lines without hopping. They're
    just too steep and bumpy for me! As I said before, some of them may
    have been doable on a 'normal' trail where there's reasonably smooth
    terrain before and after a technical section but this was all
    technical. This is where I need to go riding with Kris Holm and the
    Santa Barbara guys and learn from them.

    By the way, I'm glad someone picked up on the riding down the lines
    that i walked up in the beginning. :)

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter

    *http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
    unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    *'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*
    ___________
    --> '-*Listen to my jazz funk band on Last.fm*-'
    (http://www.last.fm/music/Dancing+About+Architecture) <-- :)

  10. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    Great riding, as usualy, Andrew. Those look like wicked Muni trials
    runs. Gotta love those dirt rool outs.

    By the way, the "Santa Barbara Boys" are not always rolling every inch
    of that kind of terrain, and there's a lot of mid-air spinning to get
    the cranks horizontal when we roll off drops. I personally almost
    always pause and do a few mini-hops before a drop over 3 feet. If you
    "session" on a particular run you can throw down big rolling hops off
    stuff you have memorized, but "on-sight," on the bigger stuff, I don't
    much care for flying off stuff with the cranks at any old angle--though
    some of us (Hans, Josh, Chris) do.

    If you ever make it out this way you'd likely be leading the pack,
    Andrew.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  11. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    Top notch riding! And good music choice.

    It's probably filmed in 16:9 but somehow my mediaplayer distorts that
    to 3:2. So you look really skinny. And the hill looks steeper.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort"

  12. Klaas Bil wrote:
    > Top notch riding! And good music choice.
    >
    > It's probably filmed in 16:9 but somehow my mediaplayer distorts that
    > to 3:2. So you look really skinny. And the hill looks steeper.
    >
    > Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    > --
    > "erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the
    > importance of seat comfort"

    Thanks Klaas. That's really odd, yes it is filmed in 16:9. I have
    only ever been able to save it as a 4:3 with letterboxing (the black
    bands top and bottom) from the editing program, but then I trimmed off
    the letterboxing to return it to 16:9 with VirtualDub. That's really
    surprising that your media player assumes it's meant to be 3:2. And
    3:2 is a really odd aspect ratio anyway!

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter

    *http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
    unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    *'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*
    --> '-*Listen to my jazz funk band on Last.fm*-'
    (http://www.last.fm/music/Dancing+About+Architecture) <-- :)

  13. That's interesting. I'd have thought there would have been a steady
    progression further and further towards a short and wide aspect, but as
    you said 3:2 is wider than 4:3 but is older. Maybe it's just the film
    industry that's going widescreen.

    Andrew