Muni video - "A solo freeride expedition"...

andrew_carter

Guest
I'm running out of time before the hill right near my place that has had
a bush fire grows back and becomes unridable, or at least so overgrown
that I'm too scared of snakes to go up there. :) So I went out riding
there today and may go back on thursday, although I'm thinking of
giving the 300m long round handrail from my first big movie a go.

I explored more of the hill today and found some fantastic lines. The
frustrating thing is that technical stuff that you might normally be
able to do on 'normal trails' becomes unridable when it starts and ends
with steep rocky slopes. There's nowhere to rest. When you come off
you just keep going and going too...check out the fast footwork on some
of the falls down the steep slopes!

I thought Blockhead's "The Art of Walking" was a fitting song.

For now I'll just post an 18MB, DivX encoded version because it's late
and I have to work early tomorrow morning. Will post a lower
resolution one tomorrow if people want me to. Here it is...
http://tinyurl.com/7hpf5

Enjoy,
Andrew

|Filename: Compilation - A Solo Freeride Expedition.jpg |

andrew_carter

*http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*
___________
--> '-*Listen to my jazz funk band on Last.fm*-'
(http://www.last.fm/music/Dancing+About+Architecture) <-- :)

andrew_carter wrote:
> I'm running out of time before the hill right near my place that has had
> a bush fire grows back and becomes unridable, or at least so overgrown
> that I'm too scared of snakes to go up there. :)

News just in! Firefighters are currently tackling a bush fire near
Brisbane, Australia. The blaze is thought to be suspicious and police
are searching for a man seen leaving the area with a fat-tyred
unicycle, a petrol can and a big grin earlier today...

I'm amazed there aren't more broken ankles from muni-ing. Hikers take
on technical descents with sturdy boots, poles and lots of care; after
coming off a muni you're taking on the same terrain at speed in an
uncontrolled manner with highly inappropriate footwear! :)

That was a very enjoyable video, thanks for posting!

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

andrew_carter wrote:
> I'm running out of time before the hill right near my place that has had
> a bush fire grows back and becomes unridable, or at least so overgrown
> that I'm too scared of snakes to go up there. :)

News just in! Firefighters are currently tackling a bush fire near
Brisbane, Australia. The blaze is thought to be suspicious and police
are searching for a man seen leaving the area with a fat-tyred
unicycle, a petrol can and a big grin earlier today...

I'm amazed there aren't more broken ankles from muni-ing. Hikers take
on technical descents with sturdy boots, poles and lots of care; after
coming off a muni you're taking on the same terrain at speed in an
uncontrolled manner with highly inappropriate footwear! :)

That was a very enjoyable video, thanks for posting!

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

What does 'lines' mean exactly?

Everytime it's been mentioned previously I've nodded wisely to myself
'Oh yes, trials lines, ofcourse'. But I've no idea what it means.

Thanks,

Cathy

--
cathwood

'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

'http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk' (http://www.chuckingandtwirling.
co.uk)

Thanks. :)

How high was that jump that you were trying?
- I was chickening out and not jumping very far. Where I was landing
it would have been under 6'. Where I wanted to land it would have been
somewhere between 7' and 8', I think. I don't like risking hurting
myself when I'm on my own, but the real reason I didn't jump out that
far was it scared me. :)

highly inappropriate footwear!
- What, Dunlop Volleys inappropriate?? They do grip very well on
rocks.

What does 'lines' mean exactly?
- A line is the path you choose (or don't choose sometimes!) to take
in trials, muni, and a lot of other sports. I don't know if they use
the word line in rock climbing, but it wouldn't surprise me. Within
the area of the hill I was riding on there were lines -everywhere!-

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

*http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*
___________
--> '-*Listen to my jazz funk band on Last.fm*-'
(http://www.last.fm/music/Dancing+About+Architecture) <-- :)

I liked the footage of you walking up the trail, then riding down the
same sections, all to the relaxed music. It reminded me of 'Mr.
Rogers' Neighborhood' (http://pbskids.org/rogers/), how he has his
routine, changing his sweater and shoes at the beginning and end of
every show. Dunno why my brain made that association...

I think John Foss and the Santa Barbara crew are getting to me... I
actually thought there was too much hopping in your video, although I'd
do the same myself. What choice do you have when things are so steep
and rocky? Ah, I'm just getting ornery 'cause I'm laid up with a
sprained ankle...

phil wrote:
> I'm amazed there aren't more broken ankles from uni-ing.

*ahem* you should be greatful, I sure am... and I thought active ankles
were silly... I'm considering getting me a pair now.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Thanks guys.
maestro8 wrote:
> I think John Foss and the Santa Barbara crew are getting to me... I
> actually thought there was too much hopping in your video

There was...but I'm working on it. :) I must say, I feel like I'm a
long way off being able to ride those lines without hopping. They're
just too steep and bumpy for me! As I said before, some of them may
have been doable on a 'normal' trail where there's reasonably smooth
terrain before and after a technical section but this was all
technical. This is where I need to go riding with Kris Holm and the
Santa Barbara guys and learn from them.

By the way, I'm glad someone picked up on the riding down the lines
that i walked up in the beginning. :)

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

*http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*
___________
--> '-*Listen to my jazz funk band on Last.fm*-'
(http://www.last.fm/music/Dancing+About+Architecture) <-- :)

Great riding, as usualy, Andrew. Those look like wicked Muni trials
runs. Gotta love those dirt rool outs.

By the way, the "Santa Barbara Boys" are not always rolling every inch
of that kind of terrain, and there's a lot of mid-air spinning to get
the cranks horizontal when we roll off drops. I personally almost
always pause and do a few mini-hops before a drop over 3 feet. If you
"session" on a particular run you can throw down big rolling hops off
stuff you have memorized, but "on-sight," on the bigger stuff, I don't
much care for flying off stuff with the cranks at any old angle--though
some of us (Hans, Josh, Chris) do.

If you ever make it out this way you'd likely be leading the pack,
Andrew.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Top notch riding! And good music choice.

It's probably filmed in 16:9 but somehow my mediaplayer distorts that
to 3:2. So you look really skinny. And the hill looks steeper.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort"

Klaas Bil wrote:
> Top notch riding! And good music choice.
>
> It's probably filmed in 16:9 but somehow my mediaplayer distorts that
> to 3:2. So you look really skinny. And the hill looks steeper.
>
> Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
> --
> "erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the
> importance of seat comfort"

Thanks Klaas. That's really odd, yes it is filmed in 16:9. I have
only ever been able to save it as a 4:3 with letterboxing (the black
bands top and bottom) from the editing program, but then I trimmed off
the letterboxing to return it to 16:9 with VirtualDub. That's really
surprising that your media player assumes it's meant to be 3:2. And
3:2 is a really odd aspect ratio anyway!

Andrew

--
andrew_carter

*http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*
--> '-*Listen to my jazz funk band on Last.fm*-'
(http://www.last.fm/music/Dancing+About+Architecture) <-- :)

That's interesting. I'd have thought there would have been a steady
progression further and further towards a short and wide aspect, but as
you said 3:2 is wider than 4:3 but is older. Maybe it's just the film
industry that's going widescreen.

Andrew