Munich to Passau

Howard Robertso

Guest
I plan on riding the Danube River Trail in June...Passau to Vienna. Since I'll be arriving in
Munich, I'm interested in riding from Munich to Passau, about 100mi. Has anyone done this ride? If
so, how would you rate it? Any suggestions would be appreciated... Thanks, Howard Robertson

Howard, your a bit off base here as the Danube is quite a few Kilometers away from Munich, As the
airport is about 40 Km from the centre you might want to skip seeing it and cycle straight off from
the airport. Best way to get to the Danube is following the Isar-river (from Freising) which as most
rivers in Germany do has a marked cycleroute alongside one or both riverbanks. After about 110 Km
you will reach Deggendorf where Isar and Danube meet. Take a right turn here following the Danube
downstream and you are on your way to Passau. (When in Passau make sure you follow the right river
as there a 2 rivers ending in the Danube (stay on the north side of the river following the signs
and you will be ok) Can't tell about the part between Munich and Deggendorf though as I never cycled
this part but the part from there on is ok. Most dramatic part of the Danube is between Passau and
Linz after that it becomes more or less a canal (cities and villages are nice though).

Might want to ask this question in the german based newgroups like
de.rec.fahrrad, as most can read/write english.

Peter

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Howard Robertson wrote:

> I plan on riding the Danube River Trail in June...Passau to Vienna. Since I'll be arriving in
> Munich, I'm interested in riding from Munich to Passau, about 100mi. Has anyone done this ride? If
> so, how would you rate it? Any suggestions would be appreciated... Thanks, Howard Robertson

I flew into Munich Airport last summer, they rode to Erding, which is a short and pleasant ride.
after exploring the area just north on Munich the next day, I rode from Erding to Reggensburg and
the road the Danau radweg to near Vienna.

See my web pages: http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/touring/tour02/tour.htm for more information
and images.

Mark <http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html

Howard Robertson wrote:

> I plan on riding the Danube River Trail in June...Passau to Vienna. Since I'll be arriving in
> Munich, I'm interested in riding from Munich to Passau, about 100mi. Has anyone done this ride? If
> so, how would you rate it? Any suggestions would be appreciated...

The Isar river looks the most direct and easy. You can't beat the German River Trail system.
Deggendorf is a very nice town, too. But I have to second Mark's choice of route going to
Regensburg. It is slightly off course, and perhaps not as simple a ride, but ...... Regensburg is by
far my favorite German town and well worth a visit. There is a very nice camping place (near the
West Schwimmbad) - if you want to save expenses. And if you do go to Regensburg, remember this place
- The Kneittinger Bier Garten. Make that one of your first stops - especially near dinner time. It
overlooks the medieval city, the ancient stone bridge and the Danube.

Regensburg is the oldest intact German city (ruins back to Roman times - and was not
destroyed in WWII).

Peter Wrote:

> Most dramatic part of the Danube is between Passau and Linz after that it becomes more or less a
> canal (cities and villages are nice though).

That's a rather broad stroke. There's the Wachau Wine region, for one, - - - one of THE most scenic
sections of bike river trail in Europe (between Melk and Krems.) The concentration camp memorial
(KZ) in Mauthausen was a very powerful experience for me when I stopped there.

Let's put it this way. I realize you're not saying it's no good, but it was not "more or less" of
anything to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole route. As you approach Vienna it certainly gets more
urban, but I found no part of Austria disappointing.

If you look at my scenes: http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/Austria/Donau_Sunsets.html

"Gute Fahrt," "Bench or Bed," and "Sunset" show (in a limited way) the "canal-ish" parts of the
route. With all the barges and the occasional Kraftwerk to see, I really enjoyed it (that, and
...... "Gruss Gott, Gruss Gott, Gruss Gott, Gruss Gott, Gruss Gott, Gruss Gott, Gruss Gott, Gruss
Gott, Gruss Gott." You may get tired of that. Everyone on the radweg greets everyone else this way.
That and "Guten Appetit," if you are lunching.)

Rossatz - Durnstein - and Wachau give you a glimmer of the Wachau region. It is VERY scenic (and FUN
- Die Heurigen).

Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Tolerance is recognizing that other people
have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.

Great trip report and photos, Mark. I haven't posted my report yet, but photos from my trip can be
seen at http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/austria1.htm

It is worth noting that for much of the Passau - Vienna section one can ride on either side of the
Danube. You rode on the south bank from Passau to Linz whereas I rode on the north bank to Schlogen,
then crossed to the south bank. I think I had less road travel than you but then your photos show
things I missed. It would probably be worthwhile to cycle the Danube twice, following the opposite
bank the second time.

Ken

Mark Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:

>I flew into Munich Airport last summer, they rode to Erding, which is a short and pleasant ride.
>after exploring the area just north on Munich the next day, I rode from Erding to Reggensburg and
>the road the Danau radweg to near Vienna.
>
>See my web pages: http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/touring/tour02/tour.htm for more information
>and images.
>
> Mark <http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html>

Ken Brown, Toronto Canada Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown delete "nospam" if