Murarrie Crit Secrets (Brisbane)

Rhino-x

New Member
Sep 29, 2005
I have been riding and training around the Murarrie Crit circut for 4 weeks, doing some intervals and what-not, and know that they hold a crit every Saturday. Before I start racing, is there a trick to the final 90 degree downhill right-hander that leads to the finish line. Either a special line, or something........cause it looks like a place where alot of people would scrape there pedals...

Rhino-x wrote:
> I have been riding and training around the Murarrie Crit circut for 4
> weeks, doing some intervals and what-not, and know that they hold a
> crit every Saturday. Before I start racing, is there a trick to the
> final 90 degree downhill right-hander that leads to the finish line.
> Either a special line, or something........cause it looks like a place
> where alot of people would scrape there pedals...

Don't anyone tell him!!!

Donga

Donga wrote:
> Rhino-x wrote:
> > I have been riding and training around the Murarrie Crit circut for 4
> > weeks, doing some intervals and what-not, and know that they hold a
> > crit every Saturday. Before I start racing, is there a trick to the
> > final 90 degree downhill right-hander that leads to the finish line.
> > Either a special line, or something........cause it looks like a place
> > where alot of people would scrape there pedals...

> Don't anyone tell him!!!
>
> Donga

Hey Rhino-x,

Balmoral Club (which I am a member of) run the Crits there. 7am for
Elite & Cat 1, 8am for Cat 2 & Cat 3.

No trick really to that corner - just know your pedal clearance, and go
for it!! I usually pedal through that corner, and have never scraped my
pedals.....

Good luck - let the rest of us BrisVegans know when you'll be heading
there for your maiden on the circuit!!

Cheers,
Abby

"Rhino-x" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I have been riding and training around the Murarrie Crit circut for 4
> weeks, doing some intervals and what-not, and know that they hold a
> crit every Saturday. Before I start racing, is there a trick to the
> final 90 degree downhill right-hander that leads to the finish line.
> Either a special line, or something........cause it looks like a place
> where alot of people would scrape there pedals...

You won't scrape your pedals but you want to try to position
yourself towards the inside. The field spreads out on the
final lap when everyone is trying to position themselves for the
sprint. If you're trying to come around the outside you'll
likely get pushed wide.

Here's a good article if you haven't already seen it:
http://www.aboc.com.au/perl/tips.pl?p=first_crit

Good luck, have fun. Hope to see you out there one day.

Mick

Absent Husband wrote:
> No trick really to that corner

Oh no, he's going to thrash everyone now!
;-)

Donga
PS: Good luck, Rhino.

Ha ha ha (in a very evil laughing manner).

Thanks for the info, I went for a blast as hard as I could this morning, with the goal too scrape my pedals but couldn't. On the inside does seem right, but then I wondered if you could make a dash for it on the outside. I quess I will have to just go for a roll.

Thanks also Mick for the link, I am not new to racing, but there is some great reading and informaiton on it. Brilliant

Thanks again....

Mick wrote:
> "Rhino-x" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I have been riding and training around the Murarrie Crit circut for 4
> > weeks, doing some intervals and what-not, and know that they hold a
> > crit every Saturday. Before I start racing, is there a trick to the
> > final 90 degree downhill right-hander that leads to the finish line.
> > Either a special line, or something........cause it looks like a place
> > where alot of people would scrape there pedals...

> You won't scrape your pedals but you want to try to position
> yourself towards the inside. The field spreads out on the
> final lap when everyone is trying to position themselves for the
> sprint. If you're trying to come around the outside you'll
> likely get pushed wide.
>
> Here's a good article if you haven't already seen it:
> http://www.aboc.com.au/perl/tips.pl?p=first_crit
>
> Good luck, have fun. Hope to see you out there one day.
>
> Mick

Actually, I'd say that at Murarrie, whether you sit on the inside or
the outside should depend on which way the wind is blowing! If it's
anywhere from a headwind to a full crosswind from the right as you hit
the final straight, you're actually better off on the outside. If
you're on the inside, the wind hits you full force during the corner
(or the rider in front, etc) and the first time that happens, you'll
drop the wheel in front and have to work really hard to get back.
Whereas if you're on the outside, you get sucked straight through the
corner and don't have to do any work. If the wind is from the left on
that final straight, stay on the inside.

The corner I hate is the one after the mini-S, where the HIT girls
never hold their line. Grrr. Absolutely love flying along the outside
on the back straight and ducking in at the back corner, the uphill one.

Tam

Mick is right - have seen may riders roll off the track and into the
big green field on that last corner. So only take the outside if there
is a definite wheel you are following, or the wind is a huge factor....

Good lcuk!!
Abby

Absent Husband wrote:
> Mick is right - have seen may riders roll off the track and into the
> big green field on that last corner. So only take the outside if there
> is a definite wheel you are following, or the wind is a huge factor....
>
> Good lcuk!!
> Abby

And always remember those bloody HIT girls can't hold a line to save
themselves.

Tam

Go Rhino! Do the longsox proud :D

spotted a Cgrader with possibly the longest sox i have ever seen! almost over his knees :rolleyes: