Muscle cramps from hell

When I take epsom salts I take about a quarter of the laxative dosage. Again, the reasoning behind using epsom salts is that they just have to dissolve, not digest. Epsom salts can provide relief in minutes if you have a cramping emergency.

Since magnesium is one of the things which is expended in a ride, one has to ensure one gets enough somehow, either through supplementation or diet. In this respect it is no different from calories or protein or water.

Many thanks to Albert 50 for providing some references to what I knew but could not support: that cramping has several causes.

Thanks for the replies. The doctor thinks I may have microtears on my quads but not localised to one area. Said we may get a scan/ultrasound done in a few weeks but recommended I take a month off cycling and apply voltaren gel every morning for about three weeks. Also recommended I not do any exercise which would stress my quads. He's probably going to recommend me to one of two sports medicine clinics the next time I visit him. Couldn't explain the delay with the pain though. Blood test results were fine; no deficiencies indicated or other problems.
Oh well, guess I can use the time to pull the bikes apart and give them a thorough maintenance job.