Muscle Cramps

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Brizza, Jul 19, 2003.

?

Do you get muscle cramps?

1. No Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not Often

18 vote(s)
    19.1%
  3. Sometimes

38 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. Regularly

38 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. VeloFlash

VeloFlash New Member

2. mutsu

mutsu New Member

hi,

i get them while i'm riding, especially near the end of the ride.
    the faster i go and the harder i push the more cramps i get.

right now i'm not progressing due to cramp in the both calves.

the strange thing is i feel it at the threshold of cramping but it doesn't cramp all the way. when it does it is pretty strong....

gonna try the tips...

mutsu

3. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

I get them when I'm not careful with my hydration. A good, but strange cure, is to drink a glass of milk. I had finished a 60 mile ride in the heat and didn't drink enough. Stepped off the bike and both legs locked up like no tomorrow. One of my buddies suggested the mile remedy and it was amazing how quickly it helped.

4. Kaz

Kaz New Member

I have struggled with cramps on & off over the years & tried bananas & stretching to no avail. Last year there was an article on Velonews.com about cramping and recent research into 'salty sweaters' - i.e. some people sweat out more salts & electrolytes than others, resulting in cramping. You can check the article out here

I started blending a little bit of salt into each water bottle, just a pinch mixed with the Gatorade mix. I think I am a salty sweater, as this has reduced my cramps on longer rides significantly.

Kaz

5. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

I eat a calcium, magnesium, potassium tablet and some salt every other day and this has reduced cramping by 90% for me. Good hydration and using electrolyte mixes in your on-the-bike water bottle also help.

-Bikeguy

6. stormer94

stormer94 New Member

I thought I had a good handle on cramping... BUT it seems any ride that lasts over about 3 hours and start to get into trouble...MAYBE... I feel I hydrate well. But I'm starting to feel I'm a heavy sweater with a high salt content. I have actually (indoors on a trainer) counted sweat beads off of, just my head, at 35-40 per minute. What can I say, it helps pass the time on a hard grind.

I saw these links for products listed in this thread, and found other interesting information on these companys sites. Not sure how deep you all got, OR, whether the information is right or wrong, it's the best read on cramping I've seen.

http://www.elytesport.com/sportshealth/cramps.asp

and

http://www.elytesport.com/sportshealth/cramps.asp

Based on this thread, I've decided to add some sodium to my drinks, and a bit more Potassium and Manesium to my diet and rides.

I think I'm hydrating "close" to the right amount. But I've decided that just having fluids is not all the answer. For pete sake, I even, now and then, get cramps in my fingers, and I KNOW those lazy buggers are NOT contributing to my forward thrust... :p

I'm starting to seriously feel that I'm not cramping due to hydration or excessive muscle use. I've got an imbalance I need to tune. I'm gonna start with the sodium (heavy sweater, so it seems like a good place to start). also, start reading labels for Magnesium and potassium content, not just carbs and protein. Really start looking hard.

I can't find an RDA amount for potassium, but magnesium seems to be about 420mg. I went to a few of my food charts I keep, and it looks as though I'm getting about 1/3 the magnesium I'm supposed to be getting and I'm not sure on the potassium. If I'm barely making the RDA on sodium (I heard 2500mg) then that's a problem for someone that sweats.

Gonna ride tomorrow, and watch the sodium, Magnesium and Potassium.

7. Brizza

Brizza New Member

I can do a 9 hour ride without a hint of cramping, but if I track stand on a hill (for trafic lights for instance) I can guarantee my right calf will start cramping within 60 seconds.

I'm starting to think it's more than just nutrition and hydration.

I eat 2 minute noodles for my salt intake.

8. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Well-Known Member

Lucky for me I don't get cramps, although years ago I did wake up two nights in a row with a cramp in my thigh....now that really hurt.

Sometimes for fun, I induce a cramp in the arch of my feet, and then stretch it out again. I do it so often I don't even think about it anymore. I've been doing it while I'm sitting here at my comp composing this reply.

9. stormer94

stormer94 New Member

That's just wrong... ;)

10. RonSwanson

RonSwanson New Member

I had that issue, then I started taking actigin for endurance. Helped with my recovery, also. I felt less muscles aches too.