Muscle growth enhancment question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Neil Stephens, May 21, 2003.

  1. Is there a considerable difference in performance gains when using a performance enhancing
    supplement like EAS Muscle growth formulas on a regular basis? I'm not a racer but I do need to
    increase endurance and leg strength. I definitely do not need the extra fatas I am overweight as it
    is. I really don't expect miracles either but I'd like to be growing (muscularly) at my peak.

    TIA,

    NS> (not the Aussie)

    Tags:

  2. Neil Stephens <[email protected]> wrote in news:MiMya.669530$OV.631897 @rwcrnsc54:

    > Is there a considerable difference in performance gains when using a performance enhancing
    > supplement like EAS Muscle growth formulas on a regular basis? I'm not a racer but I do need to
    > increase endurance and leg strength. I definitely do not need the extra fatas I am overweight as
    > it is. I really don't expect miracles either but I'd like to be growing (muscularly) at my peak.
    >

    > TIA,
    >
    > NS> (not the Aussie)

    Here's a crazy idea: Ride your bike more. You'll get increased endurance and leg strength while
    losing weight. Its weird like that.

    - Boyd S.

  3. "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Neil Stephens <[email protected]> wrote in news:MiMya.669530$OV.631897 @rwcrnsc54:
    >
    > > Is there a considerable difference in performance gains when using a performance enhancing
    > > supplement like EAS Muscle growth formulas on a regular basis? I'm not a racer but I do need to
    > > increase endurance and leg strength. I definitely do not need the extra fatas I am overweight as
    > > it is. I really don't expect miracles either but I'd like to be growing (muscularly) at my peak.
    > >

    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > NS> (not the Aussie)
    >
    > Here's a crazy idea: Ride your bike more.

    Riding my bike more gives me less. I do better with moderate amounts of work in the weight room.

    B. Dole user as well as spokesperson

  4. "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Here's a crazy idea: Ride your bike more. You'll get increased endurance and leg strength while
    > losing weight. Its weird like that.
    >
    > - Boyd S.

    Hey Boyd,

    Is Joanne's Chili Bordello still in business over in the Clearwater/Largo area?

    Carl (recognizing that the question is OT, but still curious nonetheless)

  5. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    The question is not about my long distance riding. The question, if you can read smart ass Boy is
    about muscle enhancers and if they work in cycling. You're really impressing the shit out of me with
    your acute lack of intelligence Boy. Anyone can be a smart ass.

    I get headaches during weeks where I ride 350 miles during the week. Near the end of the week a ride
    of 50 miles gives me headaches at rest. I take vitamins and eat more than I need but still feel
    hungry. That is the reason I ask about the weight gainers or muscle enhancers to supplement my
    riding. Is there anyone taking these and do they help?

    NS

  6. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <e%[email protected]>, NS> <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The question is not about my long distance riding. The question, if you can read smart ass Boy is
    > about muscle enhancers and if they work in cycling. You're really impressing the shit out of me
    > with your acute lack of intelligence Boy. Anyone can be a smart ass.
    >
    > I get headaches during weeks where I ride 350 miles during the week. Near the end of the week a
    > ride of 50 miles gives me headaches at rest. I take vitamins and eat more than I need but still
    > feel hungry. That is the reason I ask about the weight gainers or muscle enhancers to supplement
    > my riding. Is there anyone taking these and do they help?

    He's laughing at you because "muscle enhancers" are just hype.

    You want to make sure you eat enough protein (~ 1-1.5g/day/kg of bodyweight) and replenish your
    glycogen stores-something you may not be doing, and this could cause your carb and protein starved
    brain to give you headaches, as well as reduce your recovery.

    -WG

  7. "NS>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:e%[email protected]...
    > I get headaches during weeks where I ride 350 miles during the week. Near the end of the week a
    > ride of 50 miles gives me headaches at rest. I take vitamins and eat more than I need but still
    > feel hungry. That is

    If you only want to know about muscle enhacers, then stop reading know.

    I suppose you do something wrong with your style of training. With such an extent of training (and
    not a racer) you should be in best shape or you are simply overtrained, i.e. your training has
    weekening effect instead a strengthen. In the web you will find a lot of tips and instructions for
    basic and advanced bicycle training. Here only some, which might be helpful to avoid the headaches:
    - not the length or the speed of the training ride counts but the quality
    - train more in basic for long distances, i.e. in the lower aerobe range, this burns fat and enhaces
    your condition
    - the fat burning will not only cause you loose but alos improves the ability of the your body to
    live from fat, when there is no to much left in the stomach
    - the higher the load you put on your training, the lower the fat burning effect
    - before and after advanced/max level training do basic traing for 20-30 minutes
    - drink during training about 0.7 ltr/hour not only before or after
    - train advanced level, i.e. higher aerobe range on the border to anaerobe range in intervals with
    active breaks
    - give your body light and full of energy food in small doseses before and after training, all kind
    of pasta the day before fills your batteries
    - increase the number of intervals slowly, this part is for giving you more power for the mountains
    and speed for the sprint
    - to much mucsle weight which might be the results of muscle enhacers will have a negative effect on
    your riding abilities

    Kay

    P.S. Why so agressive, if somebody gives you an answer to your question?

  8. Dan

    Dan Guest

    "NS>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<e%[email protected]>...
    > The question is not about my long distance riding. The question, if you can read smart ass Boy is
    > about muscle enhancers and if they work in cycling. You're really impressing the shit out of me
    > with your acute lack of intelligence Boy. Anyone can be a smart ass.
    >
    > I get headaches during weeks where I ride 350 miles during the week. Near the end of the week a
    > ride of 50 miles gives me headaches at rest. I take vitamins and eat more than I need but still
    > feel hungry. That is the reason I ask about the weight gainers or muscle enhancers to supplement
    > my riding. Is there anyone taking these and do they help?

    I bet you feel pretty good after a week off. The hard weeks are supposed to be hard.

  9. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    Thank you, I will try your suggestions. It's not that I do 350 every week, I tend to do as much
    riding as I can given the circumstances (life and things). I think I must be doing that. I also
    heard that it could be heart disease, but I think it's not training correctly. I'll keep your
    information to mind and will read a few books on training.

    Thankys, Neil S

  10. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Neil Stephens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a considerable difference in performance gains when using a performance enhancing
    > supplement like EAS Muscle growth formulas on a regular basis? I'm not a racer but I do need to
    > increase endurance and leg strength. I definitely do not need the extra fatas I am overweight as
    > it is. I really don't expect miracles either but I'd like to be growing (muscularly) at my peak.
    >

    > TIA,
    >
    > NS> (not the Aussie)

    Neil,

    This is all you need:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2002/features/taintedsupplements/git_h uge2000

    cheers, Jeff (an Aussie)

  11. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    That's a huge nice site full of info!!

    Thanks.... Campy electric...WoW!!

    NS> <the slower fatter U.S. version

  12. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "Kay Thuernagel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "NS>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:e%[email protected]...
    > > I get headaches during weeks where I ride 350 miles during the week. Near the end of the week a
    > > ride of 50 miles gives me headaches at rest. I take vitamins and eat more than I need but still
    > > feel hungry. That is
    >
    > If you only want to know about muscle enhacers, then stop reading know.
    >
    > I suppose you do something wrong with your style of training. With such an extent of training (and
    > not a racer) you should be in best shape or you
    are
    > simply overtrained, i.e. your training has weekening effect instead a strengthen. In the web you
    > will find a lot of tips and instructions for basic and advanced bicycle training. Here only some,
    > which might be helpful to avoid the headaches:
    > - not the length or the speed of the training ride counts but the quality
    > - train more in basic for long distances, i.e. in the lower aerobe range, this burns fat and
    > enhaces your condition
    > - the fat burning will not only cause you loose but alos improves the ability of the your body to
    > live from fat, when there is no to much left
    in
    > the stomach
    > - the higher the load you put on your training, the lower the fat burning effect

    Not really true, the percentage of fat burned goes down but total fat burned increases.

    > - before and after advanced/max level training do basic traing for 20-30 minutes
    > - drink during training about 0.7 ltr/hour not only before or after
    > - train advanced level, i.e. higher aerobe range on the border to anaerobe range in intervals with
    > active breaks
    > - give your body light and full of energy food in small doseses before and after training, all
    > kind of pasta the day before fills your batteries
    > - increase the number of intervals slowly, this part is for giving you
    more
    > power for the mountains and speed for the sprint
    > - to much mucsle weight which might be the results of muscle enhacers will have a negative effect
    > on your riding abilities
    >
    > Kay
    >
    > P.S. Why so agressive, if somebody gives you an answer to your question?

  13. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "NS>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > That's a huge nice site full of info!!
    >
    > Thanks.... Campy electric...WoW!!

    Thank you. It's been going for about 8 years and has a quite bit of stuff on
    it. Dunno how many words and photos there are on the site, but it's a lot, and increasing every day.
    Speaking of which....

    > NS> <the slower fatter U.S. version>

    Ahh - the Aussie NS is still looking pretty fit actually. And is as "ocker" as ever, even by
    Australian standards (yes we sometimes have standards).

    cheers, Jeff

  14. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "NS>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thank you, I will try your suggestions. It's not that I do 350 every week, I
    tend
    > to do as much riding as I can given the circumstances (life and
    things).
    > I think I must be doing that. I also heard that it could be heart disease, but I think it's not
    > training correctly. I'll keep your information to mind and will read a few books on training.

    Firstly, don't represent the mileage of your longest week ever as your normal mileage. Secondly, if
    you feel you're overweight don't go on a diet and above all don't take "muscle enhancers". Instead
    increase your complex carbohydrates by eating a lot more vegetables and a lot fewer high density
    simple carbos such as grains, potatoes and the like. If you aren't eating a lot of protein already
    you should be but stick to sources like vegetable sources, chicken, fish and the like. Thirdly, if
    you train hard all the time you are counter productive to your training. I didn't see if you gave
    your age but 2/3rds of your training should be so easy that you want to increase your speed all the
    time you're riding. If you can't sing without losing your breath you are going too fast. Fourthly,
    you gain leg strength by climbing in a low gear at low cadence. I'm not familiar with the terrain
    where you live but absent local long climbs you can carry a huge gear into a headwind. Fifthly,
    racing in criteriums will bring speed to you that you had no idea you were capable of. Lastly, this
    is RBR and you should expect to be given a ration of defecation at least 10 times for every answer
    you are looking for. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

  15. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    <hammered>

    You are right Tom, I apologize... That is the max I do since I am unemployed... I do 200 to 250 in a
    week and max occasionally at 350.

    > Secondly, if you feel you're overweight don't go on a diet and above all don't take "muscle
    > enhancers". Instead increase your complex carbohydrates by eating a lot more vegetables and a lot
    > fewer high density simple carbos such as grains, potatoes and the like. If you aren't eating a
    > lot of protein already you should be but stick to sources like vegetable sources, chicken, fish
    > and the like.

    Part of my problem on Protein intake is that I am a Vegetarian. I do eat Tofu like it's going
    out of style.

    > Thirdly, if you train hard all the time you are counter productive to your training. I didn't
    > see if you gave your age but 2/3rds of your training should be so easy that you want to increase
    > your speed all the time you're riding. If you can't sing without losing your breath you are
    > going too fast.

    200 to 250 miles a week when you are unemployed really isn't that hard to do...and believe me I know
    speed comes with saddle time but I don't push it. My goal isn't speed as much as it is endurance. I
    don't race... I'm 43 yrs old. If anything I'd like to get 125 to 150 mile rides on certain days.
    Good information...but not totally applicable.

    > Fourthly, you gain leg strength by climbing in a low gear at low cadence. I'm not familiar with
    > the terrain where you live but absent local long climbs you can carry a huge gear into a
    > headwind.

    Good information...

    > Fifthly, racing in criteriums will bring speed to you that you had no idea you were capable of.

    Good information... I'll think about it, but my age and knees are a factor.

    > Lastly, this is RBR and you should expect to be given a ration of defecation at least 10 times
    > for every answer you are looking for. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

    Extremely poor information listed above.

    To "defecate" on someone looking for an answer to a question shows very poor morals, upbringing,
    and a severe lack of respect especially to someone they have never met. My reply was to a smart ass
    that spewed defecation from his mouth... If he can't stand the heat of the truth let him get out of
    the kitchen. There's never a time for deprecation. Think before you speak and that'll save time for
    both of us...

    NS

  16. Serge

    Serge Guest

    > I get headaches during weeks where I ride 350 miles during the week. Near the end of the week a
    > ride of 50 miles gives me headaches at rest. I take vitamins and eat more than I need but still
    > feel hungry. That is the reason I ask about the weight gainers or muscle enhancers to supplement
    > my riding. Is there anyone taking these and do they help?

    I don't know much about protein supplements but I sure got enough headaches because of sinus
    infection and I did not have any other simptoms.

  17. On 5/22/03 7:25 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Serge" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I get headaches during weeks where I ride 350 miles during the week. Near the end of the week a
    >> ride of 50 miles gives me headaches at rest. I take vitamins and eat more than I need but still
    >> feel hungry. That is the reason I ask about the weight gainers or muscle enhancers to supplement
    >> my riding. Is there anyone taking these and do they help?
    >>
    > I don't know much about protein supplements but I sure got enough headaches because of sinus
    > infection and I did not have any other simptoms.

    I do not think these supplements have "headaches" as a side effect.....

    <http://www.penis-envy.com/

  18. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, NS> <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 200 to 250 miles a week when you are unemployed really isn't that hard to do...and believe me I
    > know speed comes with saddle time but I don't push it. My goal isn't speed as much as it is
    > endurance. I don't race... I'm 43 yrs old. If anything I'd like to get 125 to 150 mile rides on
    > certain days. Good information...but not totally applicable.

    > >Fifthly, racing in criteriums will bring speed to you that you had no idea you were capable of.

    > Good information... I'll think about it, but my age and knees are a factor.

    Uh, you can ride that many miles in a week and you are almost exactly the average age of all racers
    over 35 years old and you can't race?

    -WG

    age 44 and training 8-12 hours/week

  19. On 5/22/03 8:01 PM, in article 220520031958370619%[email protected], "warren" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, NS> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> 200 to 250 miles a week when you are unemployed really isn't that hard to do...and believe me I
    >> know speed comes with saddle time but I don't push it. My goal isn't speed as much as it is
    >> endurance. I don't race... I'm 43 yrs old. If anything I'd like to get 125 to 150 mile rides on
    >> certain days. Good information...but not totally applicable.
    >
    >>> Fifthly, racing in criteriums will bring speed to you that you had no idea you were capable of.
    >
    >> Good information... I'll think about it, but my age and knees are a factor.
    >
    > Uh, you can ride that many miles in a week and you are almost exactly the average age of all
    > racers over 35 years old and you can't race?
    >
    > -WG
    >
    > age 44 and training 8-12 hours/week

    First - I would not feel real great putting on the mileage while being unemployed?!? I would rather
    be concentrating on GETTING A JOB!... DOH!!

    One of my best seasons came not when I was doing the "mega miles" but when I did the "twice a week"
    training crits with the big boys (aka fast guys)

  20. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    There are no jobs here. Thanks to the republican voodoo economics. I have money saved... And I look
    all of the time. Still looking... still riding...I can do both... I don't race because I don't want
    to.... I was a cat 4 racer a few years ago, but with the volatility of my position (job) I find I do
    not have weekends most of the time. So until I know a schedule... I prefer to just ride..

    BTW... I appreciate your attempt at belittling me steve...

    Jobs do come first... Anyone can find a job, I have a career niche, and I do it well and I get paid
    well for doing it. thank you very much!

    NS